Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Will I be cold if I don't wear a jacket?" Stupid/Funny questions.

Poster: A snowHead
On another thread started by Wayne about the pros/cons of employing ski hosts to guide guests, on-piste, around the ski area, I mentioned that I had worked for a couple of TO's as a rep/host. I said that the British and Irish public can be unbelievably stupid/naive/air-headed. Pam W suggested I give some examples; so here are a couple of gems from my two seasons in the Italian Alps to start you off.

"Will I be cold if I don't wear a jacket?" 30 something, educated woman in mid Jan.

"My skis and boots haven't arrived on the luggage carousel, I think they must still be in Dublin" The guy was told he would have to fill in a form and was asked where his luggage tags were. After much confusion and debate we established that he had pre-booked ski/boot hire at the travel agents and he thought they would be put on his flight to be collected at baggage claim.

Guest: "Which way do I go when I get off the chairlift?"

Me: "Go left off the chair. There's only one piste down from that chair"

Guest: "So which way is that?"

Me: "Errm, down".
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jzBun, Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jzBun, do they ask you whether they should wear a helmet?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Will I be hungry by lunch time ?"

"What do the men who make the bumps do in the Summer?"
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, This was 6 years ago. Nobody wore a helmet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jzBun, Rightly so!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Little section on this over at Natives
http://www.natives.co.uk/billy.htm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"where do they store the moguls in the summer " and other stuff - long thread on TGR Toofy Grin around 125 pages Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bones wrote:
"where do they store the moguls in the summer " and other stuff - long thread on TGR Toofy Grin around 125 pages Madeye-Smiley

I love that thread
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Clients : "How will I know if they hurt?"
Us: "Erm well you know when you are hungry............"
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowmobiler in the Guide's Hut shop in Fernie last year:

'Do you guys sell those personal avalanche detectors?' Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One of the Chalet girls (the pretty but dim one) saw the Mountain Rescue/ Avalanche dogs at the top of the Roche in La Plagne - she thought the dogs predicted the avalanches and their barks were used to warn people.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"How do I know which ski is for the left and right foot?"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:

You buy a pair with graphics that go across the pair. And then you know which set of edges have always been on the inside and so are blunter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Which way do I go?" (there's only one choice)

"Down"
ski holidays
DB wrote:

Mine ARE actually marked 'L' and 'R' . . .

but I do tele AND have put them on the wrong feet Embarassed
snow report
Quote:

And then you know which set of edges have always been on the inside and so are blunter.

Puzzled
snow conditions
My OH had right and left skis at one time, after a BASS guy in Les Gets balanced him up by putting assymetrical wedges under the bindings. These days he has them in the ski boots, so it's less easy to make a mistake.
ski holidays
Will there be snow.......
latest report
For a beginner there's no such thing as a stupid question, even the ones that sound really stupid. I once heard a lady ask where to pick up her 'apres ski'. I think she though it was some kind of physical artefact. When the instructor explained that it just meant going for a few shandies, she looked quite disappointed. At first I thought 'hahaha you dunce' and then realised that there's not a lot of shame in not knowing something if you've never been told. When I took some beginners in January, I got the full range of 'how do I wear my underpants' kind of questions, and it's all fair enough really.
latest report
to be honest, it's not always the stupid question (understandable if you've never been) it's the complete lack of common sense. Like trying to put your skis on facing up the hill etc etc
snow report
Off topic, but apparently, in the early days of televised snooker, people would buy a table and then contact the manufacturer a few days later asking if they could have one with the big pockets like they use on telly.

As a beginner, I did ask where I could hire comfortable boots, which pre snowboarding, must have made me look pretty silly indeed. Embarassed Just another step on life's journey to being non-judgemental. And anyone who disagrees is a brain-dead half-wit. Smile
ski holidays
heidiky wrote:
to be honest, it's not always the stupid question (understandable if you've never been) it's the complete lack of common sense. Like trying to put your skis on facing up the hill etc etc

That's nothing to do with common sense. Understanding the mechanics of how skis work is something that has to be learnt.

For a start, they will happily sit on the snow pointing up a moderate hill until you click into them, due to the way the brakes work. There is no possible way a beginner would know that, and facing uphill is a natural defence mechanism against falling and vertigo.
snow report
Quote:

There is no possible way a beginner would know that

There is when you told them 10 minutes previously that their skis always have to be ACROSS the slope or they'll slide off when clipping in! Doesn't matter how many times you remind some people they still decide not to use their brain.
snow report
I'm with Mr Technique here. Can some of you folk not remember what it was like when you first learned to ski? If you learned as a child then try putting yourself in an adult's shoes - being told loads of new, quite scary stuff then having to remember it all at once - and if you forget only 1 thing it all goes to hell in a hand cart.

After 20 years skiing, so far this season I have managed to try and put my boots on the wrong feet, put my uphill ski on first and try to clip into closed bindings - oh, how I laughed.
ski holidays
To be fair, standing on a snowy mountain in a strange outfit with two planks strapped to your feet for the first time is not normal - it's a bit confusing and possibly a bit nerve-wracking... I'm not surprised beginners ask questions such as 'which is the left ski and which is the right?' or take a while to get used to positioning their skis across the slope before they clip in. My first time on skis I remember feeling completely bewildered by the environment and just stood there trying to take it all in, before I suddenly found myself sliding backwards down the slope with my feet moving further and further apart and no idea how to stop myself - fortunately I had a nice, patient instructor to rescue me!
latest report
miranda, better put than my effort above. +1
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
put my boots on the wrong feet,

Just out of interest, who's were they ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Exactly.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 28-03-11 16:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mr Technique, Fair point. Its already first page of a google search
latest report
What is?
ski holidays
Mr Technique wrote:
Exactly.

Very good.
latest report
Mr Technique, Oh, that edit was naughty.....
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

And then you know which set of edges have always been on the inside and so are blunter.

Puzzled

Why the question mark?
snow conditions
James the Last, are you serious? both sides will get equal contact - the inside becomes the outside on the next turn
latest report
Only if you're carving both edges. I for one am usually not.
snow conditions
Mr Technique, neither am I tbh, but in the best of all possible worlds and all that....
ski holidays
Surely both inside edges get more worn as you should be on your outside ski? Becomes very apparent on plastic...

And.... I know it's bewildering being on a ski slope for the first time, but when I'm standing right next to someone, reminding them over and over to not point their skis up the hill, I can't help but wonder if there's fresh air between their ears...
ski holidays
heidiky wrote:
Surely both inside edges get more worn as you should be on your outside ski? Becomes very apparent on plastic...

Hmm, now I'm changing my mind, having just done a little exercise with my hands as the skis and a bit of visualisation
snow report
holidayloverxx, Yup!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy