Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just bought a pair of Salomon Shoguns but what binding should I get?

Poster: A snowHead
I have just bought a pair of Salomon Shoguns 182 and am looking for binding advice and mounting position. I'm a all mountain skier, happy in deep powder and also like the park and ripping on hard pack. I currently have a Tyrolia freeflex bindings on my current skis the Volkl Karma, should I just switch these over or consider something else? The recommended Salomon binding is the STH12 but I have also thought about mounting a touring binding (in case it snows again like last winter in Dublin) or the Marker Schizo (so I can adjust my position on the ski) but open to any advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For occasional touring the Marker Barons or Dukes work well. They're heavy and pretty crap for going up tbh, but still very solid for the down, and capable of lapping up the abuse of everyday resort usage. More expensive than normal binders though.

Otherwise, as long as they work fine, just switch your other ones over.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A shout out for the Marker's Tour 12's aswell, theyre lighter and more torsionally stiff (or so I'm told by those in the know) than the barons, definately on my shopping list and will be married to my Director's for next season!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies, does anyone know what dfference the bindings that are wide ski specific make to the translation to the ski? The Shoguns are 101 underfoot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Ross, gets the power down to the edges quicker and more direct. fwiw, i have barons on my 98mm waist skis and they're great.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly, thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Ross, Somtimes I know what I am talking about Peter although I am never sure wink Laughing Laughing

By the way end of season races Sun the 10th Mr Ross!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Ross, midgetbiker on here has a load of Tyrolia Peak18s he's doing for €120 a pair I think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apple makes some great bindings but you will pay more for them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74751&highlight=schizo

...if you're looking for a pair of Griffon Schizos.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Surely you are considering Look/Rossi Pivot/FKS? If you are not looking at touring bindings, not entirely sure why you'd be considering anything else?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Ross wrote:
Thanks for the replies, does anyone know what dfference the bindings that are wide ski specific make to the translation to the ski? The Shoguns are 101 underfoot.

Nothing yet, it's marketing. The distance between the screws is the same, they just sit on a wider bit of plastic - net effect on the ski = nil.

stuarth, because they are not the be all and end all of bindings. Even Look decided that they didn't *need* to be producing them until the public wanted them back. Modern AFD did away for the need for a pivoting heel piece.

Cost is the only thing worth considering. If you ain't touring get what suits your DIN range and your wallet.

(If my wallet was sporting a Centurian then admittedly all my alpine skis would have Pivots wink Just sayin')
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor wrote:
Peter Ross wrote:

Nothing yet, it's marketing. The distance between the screws is the same, they just sit on a wider bit of plastic - net effect on the ski = nil.

stuarth, because they are not the be all and end all of bindings. Even Look decided that they didn't *need* to be producing them until the public wanted them back. Modern AFD did away for the need for a pivoting heel piece.

Cost is the only thing worth considering. If you ain't touring get what suits your DIN range and your wallet.

(If my wallet was sporting a Centurian then admittedly all my alpine skis would have Pivots wink Just sayin')

Right, agreed re FKS and the need for pivoting heels, however the best bindings I've had are Rossi Axial2 (aka freeride2 now) which don't have the pivoting heel thing but do have a whole bunch of elasticity and are super consistent/reliable release wise.
Reason for buying FKS is that they seem easier to get hold of at the moment, hence easier to getter a better deal on. They also have a far shorther heel-piece mounting footprint which has got to be a good thing. My new Look pivots were also pretty much the binding with widest brake I could easily find to go on my Redeemers - oh and most importantantly they are a really cool looking silver (though I guess bright orange might have worked too) wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fr0sty, but are they 130 brake?

Fattes13, thanks for the ski race info, might need some race training practice before I try that.

stuarth, I've no clue about bindings really but I thought Marker touring bindings are better for the downhill park of the ski.

One question, If I wanted to interchange bindings so I could have the option of putting on touring bindings when needed, would I need to have plates under the binding and how would this effect the skiing experience?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

One question, If I wanted to interchange bindings so I could have the option of putting on touring bindings when needed, would I need to have plates under the binding and how would this effect the skiing experience?

Google DynaDuke plates, and inserts (Binding Freedom or Quiver Killer).
snow conditions
tellymarky, you know it makes sense
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy