Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to make it better ?

Poster: A snowHead
Snowboarding, Baqueira March 10. from david000
http://vimeo.com/21689082

I'm a skier most of the time, but enjoy my Boarding. I see a few issues, but would be interesting in feedback on how to improve, especially on off piste steeps - the final clip showing most of the problems....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr L would tell you to bend your knees more and get lower in the turns.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What Lizzard said - only I'll express it as you needing vertical movement through out the turn. Especially on the steeps. At the moment you're vertically static and "toppling" the board from side to side.

You need to be in constant vertical movement (up and down) as you move around the turn. (Exactly the same as skiing.)

You're also rushing the front end of the turn on the steeps - so the board doesn't have time to "work" and you end up having to force it around the turn (hence the arm waving).

If you're flexed at the end of the turn then you can extend at the beginning of the turn and give the board time to get into the fallline.

On a positive note, your hips are generally very nicely square to the board.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ta, both.

Interesting as I was worried about a bit of upper body rotation coming in toe to heel.

Also, I'm riding flow's and old\soft beginner boots at the moment, so I get a lot of ankle flex that maybe doesn't make it to the board. I wondered if a 'trad' binding and stiffer boots might help things.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure I'm in a position to advise as I don't know if I can snowboard anymore but I'd like to see a bit of a wider posture with the arms and a bit more dynamic movement as above. No prizes for statues as this is what exposes you on the steep bit.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 1-04-11 0:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, I don't think the boots / bindings have anything to do with your lack of flex.

You need to flex your knees and at the hip - not just your ankles.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
david@mediacopy, yup, wot the others said, you're as stiff as a board, there's no softness or flex in your lower half. Basically you're just 'parking and riding' and when the going gets tough you 'twist' steer with tense legs. Watching you it seems you're far too fixated with controlling your speed and not letting the board flow down the hill, your turns are forced, even the 'clean' carved ones. You are nicely square to the board but waaaaaaay too tense and tight, you are letting both the board and the steep control you rather than you driving the board. You may find that practising on rougher conditions will force you to soften and absorb more as well as getting more dynamic and driving your board.

The key is 'RELAX' and ride it like you stole it Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque,
Quote:
You may find that practising on rougher conditions will force you to soften and absorb more as well as getting more dynamic and driving your board.

Good advice I suspect. I tend to get overly focused on the technical which probably accounts for the 'stiffness'.

FlyingStantoni
Quote:
I don't think the boots / bindings have anything to do with your lack of flex. You need to flex your knees and at the hip - not just your ankles.

So when you say 'hip' I assume your not suggesting 'breaking' at the waist ? rather offsetting the flex at the ankle \ knee ?

Does anyone have links some comparative vid showing 'better' form?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy, I don't usually comment on to many of these feedback threads but...

Don't beat yourself up, thats quite nice technique and I wouln't say unstylish (but could do with some 'natural' style). I've seen worse on BASI courses! I have a feeling you were 'putting on' the technique for the camera and compress a little more with the knees when not being filmed, if not spring in and out a tiny bit more being highest in the turn and down on the traverse.

If I've hit the trap of you seeking compliments then sh*t...I meant to say...terrible, make sure you get more lessons on your next holiday! Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
manicpb, ha ha ! nah, I suspect this isn't the place to look for complements ! In weak moments I ponder doing the L2 although it would be more for training than anything else.

My main 'objective' is to try and get a bit more fluidity in steep off piste situations where the pitch is more intimidating. I'm happy enough, but would want to be more nailed in the fall line...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:
david@mediacopyWatching you it seems you're far too fixated with controlling your speed and not letting the board flow down the hill, your turns are forced, even the 'clean' carved ones. You are nicely square to the board but waaaaaaay too tense and tight, you are letting both the board and the steep control you rather than you driving the board. You may find that practising on rougher conditions will force you to soften and absorb more as well as getting more dynamic and driving your board.

That seems a fair appraisal, pretty much what I thought prior to reading it, FWIW, but to add:

Some nice technique, but you need to loosen it up a bit and let the sucker run, the carving in particular looks like you're being marked for your level one. Try initating the turn, push harder into the carve momentarily then snap up/out and change edge. The second clip shows some rear wheel steering.

On the steep, you look wary of the gradient, and are leaning back into the hill/board too much, causing most of your issues.

Also, again FWIW, my general boarding has come on much better since opting for stiffer boots (Ion HD's), but give them time and don't chuck 'em in the bin after a couple of hours. I'm not a great fan of Flows either, I find heel & toes give better feel.

Anyway, not too shabby, and respect for posting it up. Good luck.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
david@mediacopy wrote:
FlyingStantoni
Quote:
I don't think the boots / bindings have anything to do with your lack of flex. You need to flex your knees and at the hip - not just your ankles.

So when you say 'hip' I assume your not suggesting 'breaking' at the waist ? rather offsetting the flex at the ankle \ knee ?

I'm definitely not saying break at the waist.

But you can also flex at the hip (ball and socket) joint.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
on the piste you have a very safe edge to edge change and weight transfer but very little knee/ankle flex so being a bit more dynamic by pushing up out of the turns with more bending of the knees would really get the board to bite and add some zip to it all. Alternatively just set your edge and tank it Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
of course, one of the great things about snowboarding is "no unnecessary turns" - easier said that done Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

They prompted me to have a closer look at the original video, which is somewhat better than the streamed version you guys got to see. The comments regarding flex got me thinking, and chopping the stills above.

On the Toe side, I'm not sure that I'm physically capable of flexing much more than that Puzzled but I think it goes to show that with my current flow\boot set up that I'm getting good flex, but that movement isn't being transferred into higher edge angles on the board (however I'm skidding out in the first photo which is why the board is almost flat).

On the heal side, looking at the clip I agree that a little more knee flex may be beneficial, but on the other hand looking at the static photo I'm unsure what it's going to 'give' me ? The posture looks well balanced, there is flex at the knee's and the board has a good angle. Looking at the upper leg, it's probably not far off being horizontal to the slope angle as it is.

Presumable by adding extra flex at the knee's that's going need to be balanced by either more speed and\or a change in board angle?

The stand out thing for me was the difference in turn shape between the heal and toe side turns. In the first clip it's noticeable how the board tightens it's turn on the heal side while that's not present on the toe side. I suspect that comes back to the boot\binding issue where although I'm trying to flex through the turn, the moment is ineffective. Interestingly in the second clip it appears to be a fore\aft balance issue, which is causing the board to skid around on the heal side, the lack of snow coming off the nose being the give away.

As suggested above a stronger 'flex/extend' movement pattern will help, especially for there is a 'forward' element to it too. That said, it should be possible to make it work with a 'cross under' style too.

Interesting that on the steep pitch I reverted right back to type. Upper body rotation, straight legs and leaning back !
snow conditions
David watch this video of Marco Siffredi (RIP)
he was a master on the steeps of Chamonix.

Very quiet body english and all in the hips and ankles.

So graceful - even on that 55% stuff Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/bd3_b8raTEM
snow conditions
BCjohnny wrote:

On the steep, you look wary of the gradient, and are leaning back into the hill/board too much, causing most of your issues.

Johnny beat me too this but I would also add that you don't seem to have a plan or a route. It's a bit "I survived that bit... what next?". If you planned your route and let the turns flow into each other, leaning back against the hill would never be an option. You would also have to weight and un-weight the board to make your intended path.

Your path should never be cast in stone, but having a rough idea where I go, where I will turn and what I will hit gives me a better plan and lets me get some rhythm going. It is also means you will need to keep your weight away from the hill, to make the next turn.

I thought the carving was quite good. I'm pretty rigid when I carve, making most adjustments at the ankle/knee.
snow report
david@mediacopy, on that first still...

If your back was at the same angle as your shins then you'd be getting the same edge angle as in the second photo.
snow report
norris, Impressive. Interesting on the real steeps there's as much side slip as turning, not so different to skiing. He died on Everest if I recall, very young ?

bar shaker, Yep it was steep. Don't know the gradient for sure, but 40 ish I'd imagine but not 45. Probably the steepest I've been on a board and it was a bit cut up. The route\line was pretty clear cut, but as you say, the turns weren't linked Skullie 'Head' trouble !

FlyingStantoni, Funny you should say that. If I was skiing I'd agree for sure but it's the first time I've heard that rule of thumb applied to Boarding. I was going to suggest that would make for a break at the waist, but looking again I'm not so sure. But how's it going to give me more angle on the board ?

To be fair, that photo probably isn't a good example as it was taken from the end of the run as I'm starting to skid out - this one is probably more representative, (thumbnail) -

More angle on the board, but still (I reckon) not enough for the amount of flex ?
latest report
david@mediacopy wrote:
Yep it was steep. Don't know the gradient for sure, but 40 ish I'd imagine but not 45. Probably the steepest I've been on a board and it was a bit cut up. The route\line was pretty clear cut, but as you say, the turns weren't linked Skullie 'Head' trouble !

Might be the camera flattening the angle but that looks a lot less than 40.

Your technique looks similar to mine so interesting to read the replies.
snow report
prog99, Dunno about the angle. The slope is concave so flattens out towards the bottom. Unfortunately the local map is only 1:40 so not as accurate as it might be, but when I do the calc it's 39. Prob a bit more at the top and a bit less at the bottom. Or not !

Just looking at your photo's in Y Gully. Nice, what's the pitch on that and how was the snow ?
snow conditions
I'm self-taught, but my thoughts:
1. The first sequence on the flatter slope is a nice relaxed cruising style - it looks fine to me.
2. On the steeper piste as you complete the turn I think you are kicking the back of the board out - probably to kill off some speed. Try to shift (the majority of) your weight from your front foot to the back foot as you move through the turn. The pressure on your back foot should be downwards, letting the cut of the board turn for you rather than pushing the back of the board sideways. My hips are relaxed and I let them swing round and not force them.
3. I think you can skid out of a carve by 'over-turning' - if you end the turn and switch edges sooner you may carve better.
4. Off-piste I think you need to point the board more in the direction you want to go, make wide smooth arcs and not spinning the board round into a side-slip.

I'm sure this is the same advice a skier would get (?), with the weight forward to initiate the turn and then moving the weight backwards to hold the carve. It's probably just a lack of confidence, as other people have said just relax, and work on extending and flexing your legs as you turn.

One more thing is that rucksack looks heavy and (I could be wrong) but you seem to be arching your back to bear the weight of it. For skiing when your facing down the hill it would be fine, but on a board you might be changing your posture to compensate for it.
snow conditions
david@mediacopy, from that still photo you could still physically drop your hips by about a foot on your toe side if you wanted to imv but the flex and angle looks ok for that comfortable slope you are on. To honest you do have plenty of flex and as I suggested earlier you maintain a very good edge, but it is sort of constant and very smoothe and controlled, no rise and fall into and out of turns, which adds to bite for the edge as you enter turns etc which allows you to blast it a bit more
ski holidays
david@mediacopy wrote:
prog99, Dunno about the angle. The slope is concave so flattens out towards the bottom. Unfortunately the local map is only 1:40 so not as accurate as it might be, but when I do the calc it's 39. Prob a bit more at the top and a bit less at the bottom. Or not !

Just looking at your photo's in Y Gully. Nice, what's the pitch on that and how was the snow ?

Perfect spring snow, probably around 40 degrees or so but not sustained.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy