Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eek - I think I've bought the wrong skis - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I should know better, but i got all excited about the sound of Vokl Kiku freeride skis and bought a pair on line on a great offer this week.

When they arrived it dawned on me they are so wide they will be useless on what I end up doing mostly with the family - bashing around on spring pistes and hammered/mogled/icy off piste. They are twin tip planks, very nice for powder and off-piste crud (both of which I love), but not what I normally get to do.

I'm off skiing on Friday, and the forecast for snow isn't great, so should I:
* use the kikus for everything anyway and suffer the consequences
* end up hiring something else in resort
* swallow my pride and my hubby's displeasure, and fork out and buy some Salomon Lady all mountain skis which I loved for everything last year and should have bought, and leave the kikus at home for nicer snow another year.
* something else

Thanks for any kind advice.

Sophie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
>> use the kikus for everything anyway and suffer the consequences

Do this and see how you get on with them, if you hate them rent, otherwise wide skis in slush are great fun!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not much point using those skis in the current conditions, after all the idea is to enjoy yourself not have a battle with your skis.

For damage limitation my advice is to take the skis with you (obviously you won't use them ), 'review' the snow conditions on arrival, hire some good piste skis and buy new skis in the summer sales -buying another new pair of skis now could be pushing your luck.

Having been married for 25 years I can tell you that their is nothing to be gained by telling your husband the truth, this operation should be carried out on a strictly need to know basis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SophieFP, Take them and use them, they will be absolutely fine for pottering around with the family on piste and you will enjoy them in the afternoon slush.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
agreed fat skis are great fun in the slush and if they have are the ones with rocker even better. The Kikus are supposed to have good edge hold for their width as well so keep them sharp and you'll do fine on any hard bits.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My friend skis on Kikus, shes hot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks - you are all making me feel lots better.

I'm open to other advice too. There are good deals on other skis already and my kids will grow into any skis I buy and then pass on, as the girls are headed to be the same height as me - average.

Do the deals get even better in the Summer?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i have a tendency to agree with Peter for when it is icy, and with everyone else if it's going to be slush (ie don't ski till the afternoon if I just take kikus!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
any idea how they'll be on moguls? I've never skied wide skis before. I'm assume bad, but it would be handy to know Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Generally fat skis can be skied fine in slushy moguls, pivot on the top of them, given how warm the forecasts are looking I don't think there will be much ice around!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HellBent wrote:
My friend skis on Kikus, shes hot.

That's a highly debatable point ... unless you have pictures to prove Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SophieFP, the deals might get better but the selection will become increasingly limited.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SophieFP, the problem in moguls is that you can get your feet close enough to pivot really effectively. They'll probably be OK, but not brilliant in bumps.

Think of them as a quiver ski...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SophieFP wrote:

* swallow my pride and my hubby's displeasure, and fork out and buy some Salomon Lady all mountain skis which I loved for everything last year and should have bought, and leave the kikus at home for nicer snow another year.

he may be craftier than you give him credit for - as the above may well be the desired outcome for him on the basis that he can use it for years to come to justify his own excessive purchases (on a pro-rated scale of course of about 3:1)

or have i just been married too long rolling eyes Laughing

(some good deals starting to appear at the moment so a second pair may not be a s painful as you first think)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SophieFP, Where are you going? The forecast for Verbier looks pretty damn good in which case your skis would be perfect!
snow report
Right now you have distance selling regulations on your side. You can send them back and will get a refund, but this is time limited.

As soon as you ski them, you will have much more difficulty using the DSRs to get a full refund/exchange.

From the reviews online, they seem like a potentially reasonable allrounder, but you might want a very piste ski for the icy days. My experience last week in France was that wider was very definitely better than narrow - there was almost no ice whatsoever, and there was so much snow on the piste that it was pretty bumpy and powdery.

Ultimately it is your call. We don't know how much disposable income you have for skis. If you are planning a 2/3 ski quiver then you may as well keep them. If not then you may want to return them unless you are planning to become a park and powder junkie in short order.
ski holidays
Just a bit of buyer's remorse - they'll be fine. As stated above in many peoples' opinions wider skis are better than skinny in spring conditions and edging a wider skier when it gets more hard pack can only increase your skiing skills. If you're only going to bimble around blue runs then maybe they'll be overkill but real "all" mountain why not. As for bumps I took a number of bumps sessions/classes last year and the 112mm skis I was on weren't the weak link (sadly something more human).
ski holidays
fatbob,
Quote:

and the 112mm skis I was on weren't the weak link

giggles.

But if you want to ski bumps, you use narrow skis. End of., non?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
fatbob,
Quote:

and the 112mm skis I was on weren't the weak link

giggles.

But if you want to ski bumps, you use narrow skis. End of., non?

True but I wasn't going to rent or buy some 11m bump cleavers for a general all-mountain lesson. I have skied some of those in the past and yes they do make things easier. (BTW one of the sessions was with a very good bump skier and he was on something 90+).
ski holidays
fatbob, no for sure not. One can ski bumps on 80+, it's just not optimal.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 27-03-11 16:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
My gf uses Kikus. Skis them very well on all surfaces, from frozen crud to moguls to the tracked pow day that was the best of our season. You'll have no problems with them on any sort of cut up, bumped, or soft snow. Assuming your skiing is up to them!
latest report
thanks so much you guys. My hubby is a nice guy, so I don't like to annoy him with rash purchases, even though it's with my own money, it's all the family's money in the end.

I'm off to Tignes. I hope to get a couple of days in powder with a friend or the Ski Club Leader, and maybe even with my eldest daughter. The rest on the easy stuff with friends and family.

The Ski Club Dual Slalom may be a bit slow on Kikus, but then I'm hoping our costumes and a cute 7 year old will win us something!

So tempted to come on one of the Snowheads bashes by myself next year and give Kikus a good bashing.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the support and advice.

The Vokl Kiku's were a dream! Sailed through the slush, great on cruddy off piste, whispered through the 2cm of powder we got one morning in the fortnight, and gripped on the hard icy pistes in the morning. After 14 days of use they were a bit slippy on the ice, and my inner ankle bones were hammered and swollen from the carving tilt, but I love them still, and they are now edged and waxed and tucked away in the attic room until next season.

Little Angel
latest report
Glad you you liked them! Once you go fat you never go back wink
ski holidays
SophieFP wrote:
my inner ankle bones were hammered and swollen from the carving tilt
Little Angel

I get inner ankle bone issues, Is this common with fat ski's? I've got Scot Missions, so not full fat but not exactly carvers either.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
SophieFP wrote:
my inner ankle bones were hammered and swollen from the carving tilt
Little Angel

I get inner ankle bone issues, Is this common with fat ski's? I've got Scot Missions, so not full fat but not exactly carvers either.

It's common with boots that don't fit properly IMHO, nowt to do with the skis!!
latest report
kitenski, cheers, I suspected as much...
snow report
Quote:

It's common with boots that don't fit properly IMHO

it was happening to me because my liners had packed out. Doesn't happen more with the new Zipfits.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SophieFP, ....there's one further thing which you might consider....which bindings do you have? If you've got salomon bindings (or atomic or fischer badged but really salomon) then you could also fit some alpine platforms. I have these on a couple of wide waisted skis and they make a real difference to the piste performance of the skis without wrecking their off piste capabilities. These are slight riser plates and cost around 20gbp (although I recently got three pairs on ebay for 99p) - easy to fit and worth thinking about.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy