Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sticky Helmet

Poster: A snowHead
This is a weird one...

I fished my helmet out of the garage, where it had been hanging since I last used it. The shell is now, for want of a better word, sticky. It's so sticky that if I put my goggles on it, a tiny bit of the foam is left on the helmet. If I press with my thumb, it leaves a visible thumbprint on the surface.

I have tried wiping it with water, soapy water and an anti-grease kitchen wipe - all to no avail.

The question is - do you think it's still safe to use or is this stickiness something to do with the structural integrity failing?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bin it, the plastics have degraded
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It must have something to do with "stanton" for they are the sticky helmet of euro-skiing Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Genuinely one of these thread titles one opens with a curiosity not quite tempered by trepidation.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DaddyLouLou, same thing happened to mine last year. I think it's just the lacquer on the surface, but it is pretty messy and you definitely can't clean it up so I binned mine. Good excuse for a new piece of kit!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@robboj, Laughing
But seriously, did you wipe it with something like a "wet wipe" before putting it away?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So-called "soft touch" surfaces on plastics are renowned for this. We hire out microphones and some of the cheaper ones do this after a couple of years, and unfortunately there's nothing to be done about it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Petrol is an effective solvent to wipe the sticky surface away.

However, petrol is a very aggressive solvent and is extremely likely to cause substantial degradation to the integrity of the helmet.

This is useful if it’s e.g. ski pole handles, or other “cosmetic” non safety/non structural plastics.

But seriously, don’t do it to a ski helmet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DaddyLouLou, I had one go the same way. It had a sort of rubberised matt coating which was very hard wearing but ultimately went weird.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BoardieK wrote:
But seriously, did you wipe it with something like a "wet wipe" before putting it away?

Nope - just wiped it with a dry cloth and hung it up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So, non-petrol solvent or start looking for a new helmet.

Cheers everyone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any solvent that can remove the sticky layer is likely to be an organic solvent that could also degrade the plastic. I'd buy a new helmet.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
New helmet, or a bobble hat. This will be as effective as your sticky helmet in all probability.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robboj wrote:
Genuinely one of these thread titles one opens with a curiosity not quite tempered by trepidation.
Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaddyLouLou wrote:
So, non-petrol solvent or start looking for a new helmet.

Cheers everyone.

or a helmet cover?
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
robboj wrote:
Laughing

Could have been worse, could have been soggy or spongy helmet.... https://antiordinary.co/ (what did you expect?)
latest report
Did anyone ever consider this to be a warranty issue and/or submit a Warranty Claim?
snow report
@DaddyLouLou, had the same happen with a Scott helmet the matt black coating started sticking the helmet was about 4/5 years old, I used Zep Sticky Stuff Remover , you can get it from Toolstation
latest report
This is the polymers breaking down.
You can clean it with a mix of bicarbonate & water. Oddly happened to a TV remote for an old TV I havent used for along time. TV is now wall mounted outside...
ski holidays
@Itsotuc, well, in 4 years it's only gone one of 2 ways!
ski holidays
@radar, not convinced that'll do the job. It's broken down soft feel plastic. anyway all a bit late now.
latest report
@under a new name, rolling eyes should have looked at the date of the OP!!! Puzzled
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Itsotuc, well, in 4 years it's only gone one of 2 ways!

It went the way of a new helmet.
snow report
Laughing Just the thread for an aimless Sunday evening!!
snow report
& no-one thought of taking it to a clap clinic! Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy