Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Proposed changes to the structure for BASI alpine qualifications

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
good points all thanks for chipping in...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like most like it the way it is but perhaps the monitoring of shadowing and apprentice teaching could be beefed up. have to say i think it is disgusting to hear that at L3 teach people havent done a jot of teaching. On my L3 teach there were two people who had zero hours of teaching under their belts... one had failed the teach twice before and got his hours signed off by a well known ET training provider after attending a pre season camp in Tignes. Another was a junior racer who got his hours signed off by a club coach. hearing this is almost common place at L3 level BASI needs to sort that out!!

Instead of another week of teaching at L1 I like the idea about a final sign off after completing your L1 hours. I think it reasonable at the entry level to ensure quality of the shadowing hours.

I would also throw out an idea that at L1 he shadowing hours should be more structured. x hours teaching beginners, y hours of teaching children, Z hours in equipment rental, W hours teaching intermediates....

Perhaps this could even be extended to L3 level ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
...perhaps the monitoring of shadowing and apprentice teaching could be beefed up. have to say i think it is disgusting to hear that at L3 teach people havent done a jot of teaching. On my L3 teach there were two people who had zero hours of teaching under their belts... one had failed the teach twice before and got his hours signed off by a well known ET training provider after attending a pre season camp in Tignes. Another was a junior racer who got his hours signed off by a club coach. hearing this is almost common place at L3 level BASI needs to sort that out!!

Possibly this has been addressed already, since you went through it, as at http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-level-3-isia.aspx it says:
basi wrote:
200 hrs teaching experience must be completed between successful completion of the Level 2 Instructor Course and commencement of the Level 3 ISIA Technical or Teaching courses. Hours must be submitted to the BASI office 2 weeks prior to attending these courses

The structuring of the training at our slope is also partly as you suggest, in that our training manager stipulates you shadow/teach 3 of our standard (6 hour) beginner courses before he'll accept you on the strength. That of course pretty much covered my SSE L1 20 hour requirement (then there's more supervised teaching required for their L2 - which is then still not much more than the BASI L1, maybe starting to approach the L1.5). We also have big kids' group sessions where more inexperienced instructors can take the lead from those more experienced with the little ones - I've helped out on one of the 4-6yo groups for the last couple of weeks and after an hour of that you're completely knackered Sad .

There is a problem of formalising the types of lessons centrally (i.e. by the licensing body) though, in that it can be hard enough to find the hours if there's not that much traffic, so you may then get blocked just finding enough of a particular type of lesson. Things are naturally locally targetted in the SSE L1 though in that it only allows you to teach at one nominated slope. The BASI L1 is of course a bit wider in application, but I'd still expect individual slopes to have some internal validation procedure for new hires at this (basic) level.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, nope the 200 hour rule when i took it was the same for both tech and teach , just was two guys hadnt actually done any.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, I think L3 tech is two weeks, because, back in the day (then BASI 2) it was one week - but wasn't turning folk out who were within one week of getting BASI 1 tech, so it changed to two. I did the course in both forms (you can guess why Embarassed ) - and much preferred the two weeks.

BASI L1 has a requirement of 35 hours observation/supervision, which is a good start - but folk should remember it's a minimum requirement - no reason why you should not do more.

IMV - the way you get experienced at stuff is by doing it, and quizziung others about how they do it....of course an L1 who has done the miminum won't be as rounded as an ISTD, but in a well run ski school there is no reason why they should not provide lessons of an acceptable quality.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy