Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Strike 2011

Poster: A snowHead
BA are due to have the results of the strike ballot by the end of this month which means that they could go on strike as early as 4th of April, with a lot of people planning trips in April has anybody heard how this may pan out, the BA website is giving the same stock info it did this time last year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
leedsunited,

Try this site for info which is nearly as interesting as our 'Eurotest' thread

http://www.pprune.org/

The general opinion is that it will not happen and even if it does it will only affect some long haul flights from Heathrow.

ps I presume you know what UTO means
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
leedsunited, they have to give notice before being allowed to strike, I think it's two weeks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They'll operate everything out of Gatwick & City, longhaul out of Heathrow, but shorthaul out of Heathrow will be messed up. Same as last year...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
daveyladboy wrote:
They'll operate everything out of Gatwick & City, longhaul out of Heathrow, but shorthaul out of Heathrow will be messed up. Same as last year...

EOSB alert that'll please sourgrapin'
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well they have a mandate from their members to take strike action so i guess it is now just a waiting game, earliest they could do it is the 4th and the latest is the 28th so we will just have to wait and see although listning to the news it would appear that neither side is as eager as a year ago to get into strike mode.

A game of wait and see i think
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I really like BA, on balance they have more or less looked after me, the food is usually good and the service normally also. Memorably after getting stuck on a hurricane struck faraway island where the airport flooded and no flights were possible for a week (ie totally our of their hands). They booked me on the first flight possible and paid for my entire weeks extra stay, no quibbles, money transfered to my account as soon as I produced receipts. BUT I just don't want to risk getting blown out of my flights to the US over easter so with the strike looming I booked with another airline deliberately. I don't post this to sound smug just as a warning to those would be strikers who, whilst the rest of us (even civil servants, teachers and medical staff) cling to a job with fingertips they hope to win fewer hours work or more money (poss both..). Madness, I wonder how many others are doing the same already. Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have just booked Lufthansa instead of BA for the wedding I´m going to at the end of April. I´m sure I´m not the only one that wouldn´t risk a BA flight now.

They have just signed their P45
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
if it's anything like the last strike, most services will be running anyway
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PROTIP:

Never, ever, ever, use BA, ever.

Trade Union run, ancient fleet of rattly old aircraft, a 'budget' airline without the budget prices. Terrible.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am increasingly convinced that a large number of BA staff want to sink their employer. They need to look out of their windows at the rest of the world and realise that they are not too big to fail. They will not be bailed out. If BA doesn't start cutting costs it will go under. I guess they are thinking nice and short term - screw them for every penny they've got right now, and sod the future.

What perhaps they forget is that thousands of jobs rely on BA, and they are not just screwing themselves. I feel genuinely sorry for the people who supply BA, who have been screwed to the ground on costs and prices and are now having their job security threatened by greedy workers who think the company owes them something, when it has nothing to give.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Technique,
Quote:

Not fair....BA is like the M25 - 90+% of the time the experience is absolutely fine (& often preferable to alternative options), but occasionally it's a dreadful experience (as with all large service companies). I'm a long standing gold/silver card holder of the BA Exec club, and regularly fly on other airlines, including budget ones. When BA is on form, which is most of the time, I'd far rather be flown by them than most others. Yes - they have one union with a death wish, but the fact that most services continued to operate despite strike action suggests that the majority of their staff understand it's not a great idea to antagonise your customers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Julian T, yonks since I flew with BA, but I spoke to a frequent corporate flyer who is unimpressed by BA cabin crew even when they are working. OTOH he waxed lyrical about Singapore airlines - mind you I think that was a lot to do with the A380 and Singapore Airlines' business class fit in that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, i think you can find airlines which will do particular routes better than BA, esp in the premium cabins (like Singapore, some of the middle eastern airlines and maybe Virgin (testing them out in April)) but BA are consistently above average to very good IMO.

I use them a lot and they are generally my first choice due to a combination of convenience (I actually like T5), good times (ie there is usually an option which leaves after work), decent service and prices which are in the ball park of the competition

sometimes they are £200 more than the competition in which case i go with the competition but most of the time they are competitive price-wise. i find the service fine
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the BA staff are just being used as a pawn in a much darker game that UNITE leaders are playing, i didnt see the leaders turning down their high % wage increas on already over £100K salaries payed for by members.

Remeber British Leyland and we know what Red Robbo did to them. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Used BA for a school trip to Barcelona in June 2010 out of Heathrow, which they cancelled, causing us to endure a 22 hour coach trip instead... This year using Easyjet.
Using BA for school ski trip at Easter, to Verona from Gatwick - not really worried about strike, but if we are affected I'll probably not use them again, which is a shame because I do like them and they have always looked after us really well.
I think they should give the workers back the perks they lost as it won't cost them as much as another series of strikes...
ski holidays
i have never had a problem with them in 15 years of flying regular for business, used them at strike time last year to Denver, all fine exept reduced cabin crew and zero meal choice but just happy they where flying.

Going next week with them to Vancouver and flight schedule already changed since booked, would like to have choice of other lines but very few choices of getting to main Nth American hubs without having to make changes.

Fingers crossed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 30-03-11 7:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I'm not sure that its "many" BA staff intent on running them into the ground. Lots of "ordinary" BA staff have great pride in the airline and hate the continued attempts by certain cabin crew unions to disrupt. Hence many volunteers for airport assistance roles and or cover cabin crew (for those appropriately trained but doing different jobs). That said if I understand it correctly this strike is a farce - its a strike to reinstate seniority in benefits loss of which which was clearly a consequence for those striking previously. Public sympathy over people whinging about benefits when benefits far exceed most other jobs will, I imagine, be somewhat limited.
snow report
Fatbob - I totally agree there are a lot of good BA staff, it just amazes me that the rest can be led like sheep to the slaughter, if they were to be given back any benefits then what would that show, that if you go on strike you get what you want be it right or wrong, thin end of the wedge!
snow conditions
achilles,
Quote:

he waxed lyrical about Singapore airlines

Not much use for travel to any ski destination (unless you are based in Singapore) Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Julian T, wink Most of his recent travel has been long haul - and then he's been flying Business Class. I included his comment because of his impression of BA cabin crew. I think the only BA flights which may affect skiers will be those out of LHR.
snow conditions
Mr Technique wrote:
PROTIP:

Thanks. It's reassuring to know I need never find myself sitting next to you, embarassed to use my beautiful but expensive Apple kit. wink
latest report
laundryman wrote:
Thanks. It's reassuring to know I need never find myself sitting next to you, embarassed to use my beautiful but expensive Apple kit. wink

laundryman - Ive heard it called some things before but never "expensive Apple kit" wink
ski holidays
I'm a regulary business traveller and even more regular family traveller. I have had nothing but bad experiences with BA EXCEPT, when I became a frequent flyer Silver and Gold card holder, then they couldnt do enough for me.

Virgin were ALWAYS brilliant - frequent flyer card or not.
BMI have always been fantastic - frequent flyer card or not
United, South African, Lufthansa, Austrian etc etc same.

What I am saying is, BA see you as sheep until you earn the card, then you get treated a little better.

Personally, I've started flying with EasyJet a LOT for trips to the Alps. Got myself one of those SPeedy Boarding plus cards. Extra leg room every time. Lovely times for flights and cheap.
latest report
Markoncarp wrote:

Personally, I've started flying with EasyJet a LOT for trips to the Alps. Got myself one of those SPeedy Boarding plus cards. Extra leg room every time. Lovely times for flights and cheap.

You obviously haven't had a cancelled flight yet then or tried to get a refund for (genuine & quantified) inability to change flights in accordance with Ts & Cs. No flights, no monies returned. I was a Big Fan of EJ until last year ... and now I can honestly say never again unless they get a monopoly and I have to. Their Customer Service (off the aircraft) is fraudulent in my opinion .. and yes, we are taking them to court. They have already lost about 20 flights to competition in my case. They obviously dont care.
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
Markoncarp wrote:

You obviously haven't had a cancelled flight yet then or tried to get a refund for (genuine & quantified) inability to change flights in accordance with Ts & Cs. No flights, no monies returned. I was a Big Fan of EJ until last year ... and now I can honestly say never again unless they get a monopoly and I have to. Their Customer Service (off the aircraft) is fraudulent in my opinion .. and yes, we are taking them to court. They have already lost about 20 flights to competition in my case. They obviously dont care.

Full agreement from me, they are shocking, when things go wrong.
ski holidays
year before last at Geneva a sudden snowstorm pretty much shut down the airport.
BA, with zero fuss, moved us onto a late flight which was one of the few to get out that evening
Easyjet were broadcasting over the tannoy that all flights were cancelled and inviting customers to rebook on the internet
snow conditions
I must admit, arriving at Geneva airport at 7.15pm after a very enjoyable few days' skiing at Tignes, and receiving a text from Easyjet to say 'sorry for any inconvenience but we've cancelled your 9.20 pm flight' was a bit of a shock. Especially as it turned out what they'd actually done was cancel the earlier 7.15 but told the passengers their flight was delayed to 9.15, which was our original flight! The pilot let slip this on the plane by apologising for the late departure of the plane but they were actually on time, just their flight number had been changed Evil or Very Mad We were lucky and did manage to get on the plane, but there were would have been many who didn't.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent treatment from BA when weather closed Newcastle airport one evening late last year. Re-booked on morning flight and put up in good hotel. Taxis, meal, everything paid for with no questions asked.
ski holidays
leedsunited, Well we are here via Air Canada that strangely fly from the same place to the same place you are going. I would not want to book a BA flight at a school holiday as they seem hell bent on proving how macho they are so neither side is going to back down.

Air Canada get here earlier too which allows you to get you kit sorted out for the next day and get to bed as you are knackered from the flight. BA does fly back later which means 2 hrs longer on the slopes on the last day but I can live with out it.

We have traveled with Zoom 1st year, from Manchester but went bust before yr2 and we got switched to BA who may or not have been working but did in the end, yr3&4 with Air Canada. They are all very similar, you sit in a metal tube with loads of other people and do get where you want, mainly on time. Air Canada service is slightly better but not much. I do not see what BA have to crow about saying there service is brilliant when its OK. But I do not have to worry for months will they be flying or not which is worth loads to me.

Lets face it if anyone flew from Manchester direct to Vancouver we would go with them even if I had to take a flask of tea and my own sandwiches as getting to Heathrow is a pain for us up north folk.
ski holidays
Jake43, It sounds like they have changed we used them to Montreal from Heathrow 2 years running and vowed never again so yes they are an alternative but based on the service we recieved ill take my chances with BA who through using for business and pleasure i have always found to be a far better service.

You are bang on the money with Manchester, id even consider sitting next to the mother in law for the convenience of not having to travel darn sarf!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
I went off BA when they tried their best to bump me and my daughter (13 at the time) off their Gatwick to Zurich flight at 6.00 am on the first Saturday of February half term 2 years ago. That was despite booking and paying for the flights 11 months before. Only got seats at the close of check in which left 35 minutes to check in skis, get through security and get to the gate. Haven't used them since.
snow report
To be balanced I had crap treatment from BA when all the December disruption at LHR happened (even if it was ultimately down to that mealy mouthed tosser Colin Matthews and his muppets). No decent crisis plan in place - no decent information to crew on plane, no procedure for handling mass return to terminal, no emergency procedure for mass rebooking, no clarity on schedule for days on end. I was fortunate in that I could just get someone out of bed and get a lift home. I'd have liked to have seen a competent airline have fleets of coaches waiting to bus passengers to wherever accomodation was available (even of it was Oxford/Reading/Swindon) and any booking trained staff member called into work worldwide to man rebooking hotlines 24/7 (or failing that an internet site that didn't just topple over for days on end).
ski holidays
Ttwwats, they should count themselves lucy to have such a cushy job these days (too many butch/male dollys on there an' all Laughing )

Rynanair is the future Smile
snow conditions
fatbob, the words bath & run - wee wee up & brewery spring to mind rolling eyes
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
Markoncarp wrote:

We did manage to turn up after check in had closed for an Easyjet flight. A few minutes of discussion at the desk, and they reopened check in and got us and all our ski gear on the plane. They had no obligation to do so, and had a number of passengers that they were dealing with from previous day weather cancellations, but helped us out and got us home. The Easyjet staff managed to make our TO reps look distinctly second rate, which isn't something I thought I'd ever say about EJ.

All this said, I still won't travel BA. The way they have failed to deal with their own staff, and the clear attitude that their cabin crew have, I wouldn't want to put money towards a business that behaves that way. They could be the best company in the world, but if their staff are on strike, it is not going to be a pleasant journey.

I've never known EJ go on strike, ever. Their staff might be a bit jobsworth at times, but all they are doing is sticking to their own rules. Stick within the rules and everything goes ok. Only complaint from us has been a stupid interpretation of ski boots in hand luggage nonsense at Luton, however they didn't charge us anything to check them in, so can't complain too much.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy