Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Study shows Canadian avalanche victims die faster than Swiss

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Eight minutes is the difference between life and death, if you're buried by an avalanche in the Canadian backcountry compared to in Europe. That's the finding of a new study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal. Comparing statistics in Canada and Switzerland, Simon Fraser University researcher Pascal Haegeli found that people caught in a snow slide in Canada are likely to die 8 minutes earlier than those caught in an avalanche in Europe.
...According to the research, the reason for the difference may be because there are more trees in Canada, making it more likely for people to die of trauma injuries. And, if they do survive the fall, heavier coastal snow means they have a higher chance of suffocating. Also, Canadian victims are typically found in more remote locations where the distance to medical facilities is far away.
However, the research also suggested that Canadian avalanche victims are rescued faster than their Swiss counterparts, usually by their skiing companions.
See: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Canadian+avalanche+victims+more+quickly+than+Swiss+study/4474446/story.html
Study abstract: http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/abstract/cmaj.101435v3?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=avalanche&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=date&resourcetype=HWCIT
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Der. We get more snow. Terrain traps don't help.

You can't compare the two snow packs, even with Canada we have two very different snow packs - maritime and continental - it's oranges and apples.

Interesting that Canadian victims are rescued quicker. Apart from the snowmobilers the back country skiers here take avalanche risk much more seriously than in Europe.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Embarassed Embarassed I confess to reading the Thread Title and thinking " Well that's stating the obvious .. we all know North Americans are Fat Bar Stewards so they'll suffocate faster" . So I had to look in, only to find some research about snow!

I'll get my coat .. Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bet the Whistler tourist board loved this sentence.

If you look at the Coast Range conditions, people die really, really quickly and it makes sense because you’re basically getting crushed by wet cement on the coast,”

Surprised they don't put it on their promo. stuff.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Canadian victims are rescued quicker. Apart from the snowmobilers the back country skiers here take avalanche risk much more seriously than in Europe

parlor, Av gear, training etc are virtually standard but in Europe not so much. On the other hand the snow may be better in Northern America but perhaps not worth dying for?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jivebaby Not sure what you are saying?

Jivebaby wrote:
On the other hand the snow may be better in Northern America but perhaps not worth dying for?

No snow is worth dying for.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy