Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Radstadt - Hire car or not?

Poster: A snowHead
We are going to be staying in Flangesax's place next half term, yippee.... We were originally planning on hiring a 9 seater vehicle for our family and my sisters family to fit all 7 of us plus luggage from the airport, and then we had a car to travel to other areas. However the prices are coming back more expensive than we were expecting from Salzburg (guess it is a less competition thing), with the result that booking a private return transfer with Alps 2 Alps is £100 cheaper even before you pay for the car hire fuel.

There are ski buses to the other regions, and lots of the posts on here from people staying there all seem to talk about driving to the other areas, however how regular / easy are those buses between the various ski areas and Haus Suzanne in Radstadt?

Thanks all.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, from my calculations the difference in cost between transfers for 7 people (€395) and a rental minibus (€434) is pretty negligible. Or you could have two smaller rental cars for €186 each.

You can get to Radstadt/Altenmarkt, Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl, Forstau, Flachau/Wagrain/St Johann and Reiteralm/Schladming by ski bus although some may require a change of bus. Having a car opens up other areas such as Hochkönig and the Gasteins, plus it would give you greater flexibility.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@queenie pretty please, where did you find €434 minibus hire? That is a little cheaper than I have found?

The Alps 2 Alps quote is €360 plus I have €68 points credit with them.... making them even cheaper.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mini busses work well as you can usually get skis through the back doors and under the seats.
The Radstadt hill is great but a minibus will give you more freedom and put pess pressure in you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, If you're thinking of getting a return private transfer from Salzburg airport to Radstadt have you looked at Huber Reisen? Their individual price is € 50 return,- p/p and includes 30 kg of luggage and one pair of skis, but if there's more than 4 of you then you can get a group rate which may well be even cheaper.

As regards using the ski bus or having a car I've done both from flangesax's place, and whilst having a car does obviously give you a bit more flexibility, the ski bus service is pretty good. About 200metres from Haus Susanne there's a bus stop which has a direct service to the local Radstadt ski area base station (the Königslehenbahn) which take you up a mountain called the Kemahdhöhe. From there there are runs back to the Königslehenbahn base station or you can ski down the other side to the Altenmarkt Hochbifangbahn (which incidentally takes you back to the Kemahdhöhe) from where you can get a frequent bus up to Zauchensee (an excellent ski area with ski links to Flachauwinkl). If you want to go further afield you can change skibusses in Radstadt at the Postamt stop and go to places like Flachau (from where you can ski to Wagrain and on as far as Alpendorf) or in the other direction from Radstadt there are busses to Fageralm, Reiteralm etc.

Hope this helps. snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 24-06-18 19:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, thanks thisnis realy useful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, I am sure that flangesax will come on to advise but...while @Alastair Pink is correct about links to Flachau wagrain etc I personally feel you would get much more out of the area with a car. Not least because if you went over to alpendorf...which is fab...you would be having one eye on the clock to get back.
Get a car and the amade is your oyster
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, FWIW my friend skis that area every season and says you need wheels to get about, and there's only 2 of them.....with a team of 7 I suggest it'd be a logistical nightmare without your own transport.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This season, a group of us skied ( and bussed ) all the way from Radstadt to Bad Gastein. Admittedly, we got a lift back to Radstadt at the end of the day, but it was nice to prove it was possible. Some of the links were tight, and we had to 'get a move on' for most of the day, but the whole Amade area is pretty well linked up with busses. Having said all of that, I invariably hire a car as it gives you the ultimate flexibility.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A car is also handy for ferrying kids to the swimming pools (not to be missed).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also I'm thinking that whilst it's only 200m to the bus stop, 200m in the late afternoon with a bunch of tired children dragging their skis in their ski boots, as well as dragging our own gear.. I think they'd rather be driven to the front door!

We're also planning on hiring a 9 seater (four children!) - out of interest, is it easy enough to park such a vehicle at the other resorts in the area?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sparklies, easy peasy - very big, free car parks. You will see loads of minibus type vehicles
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @holidayloverxx, and thanks for asking @sparklies, was just thinking I need to check that.

Sounds like it is worth paying the extra to have a car.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, may well see you in Feb then ! The pack and I are staying in Radstadt in Feb half term snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Excellent which flights are you going out on / coming back from?

Coming to conclusion it will be cheaper for us to hire two vehicles! That gives even more flexibility when there as well.
snow report
@NickyJ, I would advise it.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, oh good! I hoped that would be the case, but you never know! Thank you!
snow report
After spending 4 weeks out there last season and driving out, the car was invaluable to get around the resorts covered by my ski pass. I think you definitely need a car/transport to get the best out of the area.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
Excellent which flights are you going out on / coming back from?

EasyJet out of Bristol. Not the cheapest, but so convenient for us....... Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy