Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Developement for New Zealand

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A bit of good news for Christchurch skiers. Porters ski area, the closest to Christchurch, has announced a $500 million expansion to their business. Crystal valley north east of the present Porters ski area will start with three new high speed chairlifts as well as gondola type access lift. They are also planning on having on the mountain accommodation which is not a feature of other NZ ski resorts. This is the first major new ski area project in NZ for many years and may help the Christchurch economy recover from the earthquake. Sounds like good news all round.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sarge McSarge, that's excellent news - Christchurch really needs a boost. I know the after shocks are still going on, though. Do you think the development will be on hold until the shocks die down?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
£225m is not an insignificant amount of money! Is it a staged development or are they going all in?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It'll take years before it gets off the ground. Lots of objections to it, and RMA issues etc.

But it will be nice to be able to get in and out of Crystal Valley easily, hopefully it will be in my lifetime.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hang11, what's 'RMA'?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gunna be sick when they do expand!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, RMA is Resource Management Act. Planning permission. The process is sometimes long and involved especially when there are objectors to the plan as there will be in this case due to the belief of some that all mountainous regions should be as pristine as National Parks. Some folks have no balance!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The whole Porters thing will be a tree hugger nightmare for the developers.

Also, I'm struggling with how easy it will be to raise that much capital for a tourism business - when the business case has some fairly large environmental variables - eg lack of snow, full on norwesters closing it down a lot, earthquakes etc etc. Coming up with that much coin is a lot harder than it was a few years ago.

Given recent events, and the fact that the main Alpine fault goes right past the front door, and it's well overdue for an 8+ shake, I think it would be a very brave vulture capitalist that took a punt on it.

I still hope it happens. Porters on a good day is awesome Very Happy

We got a dusting on the hills up here again Sarge Very Happy Log burner has been cranking, Mrs Hang11 has been busy on the chainsaw cutting firewood. Not long to go now Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sarge McSarge, thanks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hang11, Good to hear that you have Mrs Hang11 hard at work so that you can be lovely and warm Toofy Grin Toofy Grin We have had a couple of little falls on the peaks down here but no sign of any actual build up yet. The trees around Arrowtown are starting to change colours and the mornings are a lot cooler so I guess it is on the way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy