Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resort with 8 lifts and 20Km of runs to be built in England…

Poster: A snowHead
Mr Technique wrote:
mr_big_ad, you should hire this woman to do your investor pitch.

i can believe that bitch stole my idea! Mad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sunnbuel wrote:
wigan, clearly mr_big_ad, has missed the perfect loction http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/ which has plenty of room to expand in height and width Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Off course!! Lovely field next door that had plenty of snow on it sometimes this winter. Great cafe, retail units, tow, car park etc already in place. And sadly today is Ski Rossendale's last day of operation before it is closed.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Official site with announcement about closing today: http://www.ski-rossendale.co.uk/
However there is a social enterprise setting itself (the link that sunnbuel posted (http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/) that hopes to bid to take it back on. Perhaps the team would appreciate mr_big_ad's help?! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr Technique wrote:

This is nonsense. snowHeads is full of nutters who'll hike 3 hours up Ben Nevis in July just to ski 50m of whatever has magically survived in a cold North-facing shadow somewhere.

It is also full of many who are so far up their own ars** that they could lick their own tonsils and those that "have all the gear but no idea"

It could work technically but financially is a different matter, ive driven over the pennines in summer and it has been snowin on the top of Englands highest motorway!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="leedsunited"]
Mr Technique wrote:

It is also full of many who are so far up their own ars** that they could lick their own tonsils and those that "have all the gear but no idea"

I think I'm "all the gear and no idea" but I'm also full of poo-poo so maybe both apply.
So where do place yourself?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Bit random...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mr_big_ad wrote:
Monium wrote:
mr_big_ad wrote:
Monium wrote:
See how ridiculous I sound? You sound the same to us.

do you wannt hear about my fanless data centre cooling design and my electricity generating solar thermal collector?

Fanless data centre cooling and solar panels already exist. These products are a good idea. Your idea is not a good product.

you are clearly an overly negative person, from what i wrote, you could not have established that my plans were not radicaly improvement on currect technology!

remember the hoover, who thought that could be improved on? one man, James Dyson, we meet up on wedneday evenings for a drink and i supply him with great ideas, trouble is, he doesn't ski!

There are people whose job it is to improve those products. I know several of them, and I can guarantee you that you aren't even in the same league as those guys. They have genuinely brilliant ideas, and come up with stuff that is actually vaguely possible, and in many cases quite sensible. If your idea was vaguely plausible, a bank would lend you money to do it, and you would do it. Instead we are having a right little giggle on the internet, apologies but that giggle is at your expense.

You couldn't be much more wrong about the negativity, just when I see someone who is either dicking around on the internet, or about to waste thousands of pounds of money that could be much better spent on a business idea that might actually work, I call a spade a spade. When I see someone with a really good idea, I check they have covered all the bases, and then give them encouragement and support for a good idea.

Your idea is cack. Sorry. Nobody, so far, in the entire thread, has suggested this will actually work financially. You could probably make it worth it if you are prepared to throw thousands down the toilet every single season, but otherwise it's simply not viable.

I very much doubt that you provide great ideas to James Dyson. He probably lets you ramble on like a drunk tramp in the pub, then laughs to himself about how many of those ideas are complete drivel, and how many of his ideas (whilst not many are really original) make him rather a lot of money.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want to ski Scotland is OK, on the right day. If you want a holiday go somewhere else, Scots are miserable, and the weather is even worse than Ireland. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This thread started out as a fun bit of speculation, and somehow people with deadly serious expressions on their faces and buckets of poo-poo at the ready are trying to make out it was a real life business plan. Sorry folks, this is a fun thread, I think you came through the wrong door.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
has Monium, lost it Puzzled (or is that a new thread?) Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="betterinblack"]
leedsunited wrote:
Mr Technique wrote:

I think I'm "all the gear and no idea" but I'm also full of poo-poo so maybe both apply.
So where do place yourself?

I, er, didn't say that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Since the development of the any temp snow machine I thought the same thing. It is possible to to develop a small ski resort(s) in England. Scottish sites could be made more reliable but thats a seperate thred, this post is about England. Why? Because a lot of people live in England and for most people Scotland for the day or weekend is too far away. People passionate about their sport wish to maintain it in the best possible conditions in between ski holidays to mountains a long long way away. Snow is always the preferred way to maintain during a season and being outdoors is the preferred option also.

Before I go any further I just want to clarify something that most Brits seem to mis-understand. We don't have any ski resorts in Britain, the Scottish "ski resorts" are not ski resorts, they are ski centres. Ski centres are smaller than ski resorts but serve as centres for day tripers and weekenders. This isn't something unique to Scotland, you will find that most countries / states in Europe, North America have proper ski centres that serve for this purpose. We as Brits have got into the habit of calling ski centres ski resorts to avoid the confusion between outdoor snow centres (in mountains), indoor snow centres and dry slope centres that are abundant here in the UK. The idea / proposal headlining this post is for a ski centre. Another important point to mention is that almost all Brits compare a ski environment to the main Alps in Europe which is foolish, it sets a very unrealistic standard that they expect all ski environments should live up to when most don't. There are many many smaller mountain ranges that most people, unless relatively local have no awareness of.

Separate to the original proposal. This is how I would do it, at least initially. The snowmachines are around 3mil according to posts. The relatively recent hemel snowdome, which is tiny, cost £27million. I still believe there is a lot of potential for dryslopes. In Japan they have for a long time been using their own dryslope material, similar to snowflex but developed long before it. They have several very long and wide slopes in existing ski resorts. The matting is green so as to blend into the environment out of season. During season the matting is covered in snow both from nature and machine. They have all year skiing. My concept is a little less ambitious. You could take a modern dryslope (not dentex) and simply lay the snow on top during season. The snow, when packed, last a long time. Its cheap to make and can be topped up. There is a small centre in Essex where they use manmade snow outdoors for skiing. It could be done on a bigger scale with a more efficient machine like the one mentioned in this post. Even out of season comps could be covered in snow, much like the events that happen in London where real snow is used. Hey presto, you have perfectly decant snow skiing, potentially available to near or even in any reasonably sized population that would be cheaper to run and build than a snowdome plus its real snow during season, but all year skiing regardless. Ticked prices cheaper than snowdome but more than existing dryslopes without a snow facility. After this the possibility to take it a stage further. Site specific centres i.e a centre that only caters for freestyle, i.e jumps and half pipe etc, a centre just for skiercross, a centre just for mogul etc, allows the utilisation of a small site to take a category of the sport to full standard with the relevent training. But initially, its very possible to get a multi purpose dryslope to contain a range of terrain, for different standards and styles in a compact space.

This is a more realistic proposal to start with.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ideas and innovation are a great thing, something the UK used to be good at, I commend mr_big_ad for at least trying to present his ideas here, as this is a snow forum. Whilst the majority of critism has been constructive some has just been downright rude...

Keep the idea's coming.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mrpugster, In total agreement, where is MR BIG anyway?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
out and about raising funds Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cross fell to far away and to picturesque, try cleehill in Shropshire
http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/content/image_galleries/clee_hills_gallery.shtml?1
ski holidays
mr_big_ad, I'm off for a walk up there in the next couple of weeks to check it out. Church Stretton offers a few possibilities too.
latest report
There's a lot of snow cannon talk on the Yad Moss Facebook page at the moment, obviously all just talk but interesting none-the-less...
snow report
moffatross wrote:
Spud9 wrote:
Actually, if I could have access to 20km of piste and 8 lifts, with say 300m vertical, I would be prepared to drive for three hours to get there for a days skiing, and I'd pay £50 for a day lift pass.

You'd be in the minority though. Sad

It amazes me how many people complain at paying £30 for 400 to 500m of lift served vertical and 20 to 30 km of runs with only a 2 hour drive to get there. rolling eyes

They wouldn't be Scottish, would they?
ski holidays
I personally think this thread is fooking hilarious and personally have to congratulate leeacarroll for this:

My favourite bit of this is some bloke has used some felt-tip pens to draw a colour coded piste map on the OS map of cross fell, presumably trousered and then posted it on the internet. Not sure if it was after or before he sent the regrettable text to his ex.

Cross fell is a designated conservation area and I think evening grazing is restricted/prohibited on the fell tops. Even sheep are banned for Christ sake, to protect the very few occurrences of this landscape and flora in England. Don't hold your breath for the planning permission for the revolving restaurant at the top Happy

Cross fell is the source of the Tyne (also the Tees I think) and as such plays an important emotional part in the geography of the North East. Lots of angry Geordies will cut up rough about all of this.

Still, I'm off to sink half a bottle of whisky and design myself the new Whitley bay Caribbean beach resort. The development of UV sun lounges is disruptive man.
snow conditions Sun

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy smiles all round and thoroughly entertained...!
latest report
ryan110398 wrote:
Cross fell is the source of the Tyne (also the Tees I think) and as such plays an important emotional part in the geography of the North East. Lots of angry Geordies will cut up rough about all of this.

Yes the Tees does start on Cross Fell, but, speaking as a Teesider myself, saying that Cross Fell plays any 'emotional part on the geography of the North East' is bollox. The few northeasterners who give a toss about their landscape and heritage would probably point to the coastline and industrial heritage as far more important.

I agree however that environmental concerns would be one of the very many reasons why this project would never get off the ground.
snow report
More likely to than a 2000m Dutch mountain Puzzled
latest report
I want mr_big_ad to keep trying - friend of ours has property in Blencairn, would make a handy ski-lodge if he can ever work out how to get any snow to stick to the hill once the wind starts blowing up there. More power to you mr_big_ad, you crazy dreamer you!
ski holidays
I definitely think something can be done in the UK with the technology.
The best results/experience would be at Cross Fell. But the economics/ecological impact are clearly a concern.
latest report
Quote:
Cross fell is a designated conservation area and I think evening grazing is restricted/prohibited on the fell tops. Even sheep are banned for Christ sake, to protect the very few occurrences of this landscape and flora in England.

The idea that almost any part of the British landscape is 'Natural' is a bit far fetched. 9000 years of deforestation, grazing and agriculture is responsible for what we have today.
ski holidays
Cross Fell is littered with scars from mining, it's far from being as nature intended. The nature reserve stops short of the area I had suggested would be utilised. It stops at tees head I believe.
snow report
Frayed knot:

http://data.nbn.org.uk/siteInfo/siteSpeciesGroups.jsp?useIntersects=1&allDs=1&engOrd=1&srcKey=UK0014774&srcDsKey=GA000327

http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/protectedsites/sacselection/sac.asp?EUCode=UK0014774
latest report
mr_big_ad, well I think you're awesome! Cool
snow conditions
mr_big_ad, Mynydd Rheola, Vale of Neath? It ticks all the right boxes as a summer MTB resort......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Innerleithen anyone?
ski holidays
Cross Fell is in the same area of designation as Yad Moss and Harwood Common (shown top centre)
It is outside of the two nature reserves shown on this map http://www.natureonthemap.naturalengland.org.uk/map.aspx?map=nreserves&feature=1007241,nnr,REF_CODE,LABEL
ski holidays
Video of someone skiing at Yad Moss in marginal conditions, note the big white blob in the background!

http://youtube.com/v/yW4EPiOgbjA
wink

Cross Fell from Raise
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displayimage.php?photo_id=8687
snow report
mr_big_ad, It's great that you are still pushing this. Keep up the good work/trolling. It's entertaining stuff if nothing else.

I'd be interested to know whether you are really trying to push this forward as a valid proposal (i.e. investing time and money in developing a business plan/feasability study) or just messing about on the internet.
latest report
I genuinely believe there is a Market for something like this. Snow domes cost millions to build, are very limited and are very expensive to attend.
The vacuum snow maker can produce a ski slope the equivalent size of the snow dome slopes in a couple of days. But to offer an experience that is better than a snowdome, the artificial slope should be located somewhere where skiing on natural snow is also available.

I would certainly invest the time in putting together a coated business proposal, cash I do not have. Not that it would cost much.

What I could do with is some help gathering visitor numbers from ski domes and dry ski slopes in the north of England.
snow conditions
mr_big_ad, have you read Jamie Johnson's piece on building a new piste from the current Cairngorm base station down to Glenmore? Jamie would be the man to consult if you are seriously considering this
ski holidays
I havent, but i can see the benefit of having a snow AND wind resistant slope in amongst the trees.
have you got a link?
ski holidays
mr_big_ad, spelt his name wrong sorry, it's johnston with a t

haven;t got the full thing sorry but here's a newspaper article about it

http://living.scotsman.com/outdoors/Roger-Cox-39Snow-guns-would.6822469.jp

I've met him but don;t know him personally - other snowheads do though and could probably put you in touch.
ski holidays
The trouble with the UK is that due to the moderating effect of the Atlantic, we do not have a long warm growing season, as such the tree line barely extends beyond 650m in the mountainous areas. So not a great deal of natural snowfall occours where it is likely to hang around Sad
It would nearly always be pure man made snow being skiied on. Good for logistic reasons like providing an access run or wind-secure slopes, but not ideal for a complete "ski centre"
snow conditions
Some photo's of Titterstone Clee, mentioned earlier here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=77258&start=40#1859531
ski holidays
If ever there was a development like this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to include re-forestation, up to treeline, not only for the site intended but for a far wider area that would go towards softening up the enviro-mentalists.

Trees act as wind and sun shield. They help maintain snow longer. They arn't essential for skiing though. In terms of the north English hills, it would help improve the ambience of the area to bring it back into nature, even if the skiing may be % above treeline.

It's not so far fetched to have properly established centres that are smaller than this proposal. Check the Czech Republic for similar terrain, heights, verts & climate as England and the remainder, Scotland. They have small resort centres there so its plausable to have the same in England.
ski holidays
It might be worth starting to plant tree-shading now ready for when all the natural snow is gone if said enviro-mentalists are to be believed.

Trees are also good for navigation in fog

Re the ski "centre" there are a few bald spots on this map that do have some big hills http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/infoandadvice/uksnowsports/ukslopesmap.aspx
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy