Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet use reduces skull fractures in hospitalised skiers and snowboarders

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
New research has found that fewer children suffered fractured skulls, if they were wearing helmets when they sustained a head injury while skiing or snowboarding. The researchers, from the University of Vermont, reviewed 6 years of data from head-injured skiers and snowboarders at trauma centres in New England. Of the 57 children identified who sustained a head injury while skiing or snowboarding, 33.3% were wearing a helmet at the time of injury. In all, 5.3% of these children sustained a skull fracture compared with 36.8% of those not wearing a helmet....Although there was a favourable trend in those wearing a helmet, there was no significant difference in the incidence of bleeding in the brain between the two groups of patients. There were also no significant differences between the two groups in terms of need for neurosurgical intervention or for admission to an intensive care unit, total length of stay, percentage discharged home or incidence of cervical spine injury.

Abstract: http://thejns.org/doi/abs/10.3171/2010.12.PEDS10415?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3dpubmed
Citation: Rughani AI et al. Helmet use and reduction in skull fractures in skiers and snowboarders admitted to the hospital. Neurosurg Pediatr 2011; 7: 268-71.

An editorial in the British Medical Journal this month discussed the pros and cons of wearing a helmet while skiing and snowboarding, and pointed out that 15% of neurosurgeons in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria bought a helmet after a fatal collision involving a German politician, possibly as a result of the media coverage.

See: http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d857.full?sid=33ecfa02-a534-41ee-8f7e-8ec2a4cb9725
Citation: Ruedle G et al. The protective effects of helmets in skiers and snowboarders. BMJ 2011; 342: d857.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wear a helmet and instinctively think they must do some good; but this research involves such a small sample of kids that it doesn't really prove anything. Any snowhead epidemiologists out there, willing to conduct some proper research into this?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Survey shows helmet reduces head injuries

Also today in the news bears do their business in the woods Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A third of traffic accidents are caused by drunk drivers.
Therefore it's the sober two thirds that are the problem. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
el Hen, My helmet has certainly saved one of my eyes and possibly my life too. I have no idea what happened to cause my accident or what or where it actually happened, but I now always wear a helmet just in case they try and get me again! Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
3 falls this year that would have been very much worse without a helmet, the last one was being taken out by a boarder just off a chair lift and being knocked backwards and hitting someone's boots with my head - that would have been very very much worse than the uncomfortable bashed feeling I actually had which took a while to go away
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not another helmet thread
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy