Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shocking video of the Mont Vallon avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
thebrownslug, I'm with Hurtle, that's very unhelpful pure speculations and anyway is in contradiction of sunsnowguy's account above.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The avalanche I was in wasn't as big but I didn't hear it coming: it just hit my back and I thought for a few seconds a skier had collided with me and was lying on my back as we raced down the hill.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball, That's interesting to know, I always thought you'd hear it coming, unless it starts just above you. of course.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They also say people where screaming warnings to no avail!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thebrownslug wrote:
They also say people where screaming warnings to no avail!

You find it suprising that someone skiing, with all the noise from snow and wind, didn't hear people shouting from (presumably) a ridge a few hundred metres away?!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I witnessed a couple of "slippages" yesterday whilst skiing down Fornet in Avoriaz. They made quite a lot of noise and they were tiny compared to this thing. Cant imagine he didnt hear it coming... As people are saying, its all speculation though. Thoughts are with his family.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes i think that is just "talk" considering that until they find him they will not be 100% certain that he is the Russian person who is missing, never mind knowing what he was wearing!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
truely shocking, i got into town the day it happened.... earlier in the thread there was mention of a recco tranceiver???? the recco is a reflector system not a tranceiver, it cannot emitt a signal, it just reflects a pulse sent out by a searcher unit in a helicopter or hand held by resucers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geepee, I think it started certainly less than 100 metres above me (set off by the last person in our group crossing what must have been wind-slab). I don't know exactly since I had my back to it. I heard someone shout "look out" but before I could turn round it had hit me. It was perhaps 30 metres wide once it got properly going and went down at least 300 metres.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone know if the guy's body has yet been discovered? I think about this incident quite often and of the distress it must have caused his friends and family.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have also tried to follow this story, nothing anywhere I have looked!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They found the poor chap on Sunday at the bottom of the Lake. He was only identified by his papers. The full story is here in French...

http://www.ouest-france.fr/ofdernmin_-Meribel.-Le-corps-d%E2%80%99un-skieur-disparu-en-mars-retrouve-dans-un-lac_6346-1860501-fils-tous_filDMA.Htm

Google translate....

Savoy
Méribel. The body of a skier who died in March found in a lake
Trivia Monday, July 4, 2011 The body of a Russian skier who disappeared in mid-March, carried away by an avalanche, was found Sunday in Lake Borgne in Meribel, Savoie, said on Monday from the pack of police mountain (PGHM) Bourg-Saint-Maurice.

The body of Vladimir Ivanov, 48, was spotted by police and municipal water released Sunday afternoon by the military PGHM, said the police, confirming a report of the Dauphine Libere.

Five dogs and hundreds of rescue workers mobilized

"He was pushed to the bottom of the lake by an avalanche in a thick layer of snow. The only solution was to wait until it melts, the lake is water, "they said.

The victim was identified through his identification papers.

March 18, witnesses had seen him disappear Mount Vallon, carried by a plate of snow from 200 to 300 meters wide and 400 feet long, and finish the race in Lake Borgne.

A hundred monitors and trackers and five dogs and two doctors had tried in vain to find the body.

The police had set up a monitoring system in cooperation with the Department of Meribel pistes and the municipal police to try to retrieve it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you for the information, spud.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another report here: http://www.merinet.com/whats_new_article.php?id_whats_new=9873&id_back=1
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy