Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiind around Moguls

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
FlyingStantoni, you might have already seen this clip but it really is worth watching

from
http://vimeo.com/20522034

Sorry cannot the video embed link is above.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great video Elston.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To give it my 2 pence worth, constant speed (ie/not accelerating) and rhythm are key to successful mogul skiing. I would disagree with people saying about using edge checking to control speed. This would suggest accelerating and then slowing down, which is not condusive to keeping a good rhythm. A strong rhythmical pole plant is essential.

Like Clarky999 said, side-slipping with skis perpendicular to the slope and flattening the skis will give you the correct position of your skis for mogul skiing ie/ flatter to the slope BUT you don't need to edge check to slow yourself down because after a short time of side-slipping, you'll notice that you will no longer accelerate and will keep side-slipping at a constant speed. Try this on both sides, concentrating on your weaker side and then linking with pivot turns. Later adding a pole plant, all of this on an easy blue before taking it to the bumps.

This constant speed is then maintained in the bumps by keeping your skis in contact with the snow at all times and therefore it's VITAL to get the tips of your skis back in contact with the snow as soon as possible after going over a bump. As well as using your legs like shock absorbers and bringing them up under you and extending out, there needs to be some backwards movement of the feet at the 'top' of the bump to help get the tips down and in contact with the snow, as well as forwards movement of the feet at the bottom as you start to go up a bump.

A strong core is require to stop collapsing at the waist and reading the bumps a bit further head helps you pick a line that gives you a chance of building a bit of rhythm and getting a feel for it, as does being pretty damn fit!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pablito, ummm, perhas it's just how you experssed that but I am afraid, as a barrack room skier, that I disagree on a few points.

Quote:

constant speed (ie/not accelerating) and rhythm are key to successful mogul skiing

Neither. Talking at a non competitive level, you want to be able to speed up, slow down and turn without rhythm. Rhythm would dictate your turns. You don't want that.

Rhythmical pole plant is definitely not desirable as your pole plant is a necessary part of turn initiation and has therefore nothing to do with rhythm. You want rhythm? take up the drums.

Edge checking is kind of fun. Not necessary, but sometimes useful.

Just my opinion... snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pablito and under a new name, I agree with you both Happy

I'd argue that, as a general aspiration, you want your Centre of Mass to be travelling at a constant speed down the hill. But that your skis and feet will be speeding up and slowing down.

As an aspriation, you want to keep a constant rhythm, but have the flexibility to adapt the terrain.

I completely agree with Pablito that snow contact is king.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OK I will start with the normal rider - I am not very good at skiing moguls. But I do like them and if a resort has none I feel let down. To me the real fun of skiing is a steep mogul field.

IMHO there are 4 ways to ski moguls:

The zip line - skiing constantly in the troughs, working like ***** and effectively a series of very short carved turns

Compression turns - absorb the bump with the knees and skid down the back side

The pivot turn - get to top of the bump, almost stop and pivot the skis then ski to the next bump.

Pretend they are not there and ski as normal just absorbing the bumps as they come.

Which method to use when is the $64000 question

John
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE, I'd agree with everything except your characterisation of the zip line.

To ski the zip line you need to rotate and edge the least - otherwise you wouldn't be able to ski it.

When each of the approaches? It depends on the bump...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FlyingStantoni, hmmm. OK. Yes. Maybe I now see better what Pablito, meant. Especially as an aspiration - i.e. "I want to be able to ski bumps like that"...

I would re-argue though that to get there you need to be able to ski with non-constant CoM speed and no rhythm at all.

johnE, I'd argue there is really only one way to ski bumps and it involves eash of the modalities that you describe, in varying degrees, depending... snowHead

Unless you're GSing them. In which case, ignore them and go fast enough that you don't need to much absorption.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy