Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 MINUTES ON-LINE SILENCE

Poster: A snowHead
If you cannot get out into the street at noon today but feel you would like to do something communal to mark respect for those who died in the London bombings, log in here before noon. At noon, press F5 (refresh) so you can see who is on-line. But let's NOT post for two minutes.

(Same post also made in Apres Zone and Suggestions & Requests for maximum exposure in the short time we have before noon)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good idea, quick 'bump'...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Might not make it at the time. Somebody keep an eye on the new post flags immediately after the 2 mins please. We're not into naming and shaming anyone who posts but it would be interesting to see whether snowHeads comply with a moment of quiet reflection.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK back on line. BUMP. 10 mins to go, folks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Couple of mins to go
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, D G Orf, Elizabeth B, Frosty the Snowman, IncogSkiSno, joydivision, kuwait_ian, Lager, Masque, NickW, PG, Ray Zorro, scraggsy, Slowplough, snowbunny were all here and I'm pleased to say nobody posted
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Let us also remember the 700 injured. We wish them all a swift and complete recovery.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Absolutely, also all those who went to their aid
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Indeed.

(I was here, but am hidden)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, if you like, you or another Mod can now clean out at least the other 2 threads with the same subject which AFAIK had no replies.

Respectful snowHeads were in good company. HM Queen was also observing the 2 minutes silence. Sky News also kept quiet but showed some pretty horrific pictures of the injured.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a long way from London but persuaded my company to observe the silence. We all left the building for 2 minutes and held hands and remembered.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Appreciated the brief shots around the country on the Beeb, particularly the one from Nottingham of the group of Moslem children with the banners "NOT IN MY NAME"...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kuwait_ian, Sorted

PG, Yes I thought that particularly good
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was about to sign off to observe the silence and saw Fox's post on Epic - so observed the silence there (it was too late to join you guys but I was there in spirit.)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well we all left our building to stand outside on Euston Road. It was very eerie, so many people on the pavements, the roads full of traffic and yet no sound. Really made you think of all those poor people caught up in the bombings. There was a very unfortunate incident, when the silence was being observed, when two young Asian lads walked down the middle of Euston Road talking to each other. They were lucky they weren't lynched.
ski holidays
Cathy Coins, luck didn't come into it. They weren't lynched because we don't lynch people; it is the freedom of people to do things like that which we are trying to defend, apparently with some success.
ski holidays
richmond, fair enough - it was just a manner of speech though, I didn't really expect a mob to get hold of them and string them up from which they luckily manged to escape .....
ski holidays
Cathy Coins, no, quite, I realised that; I wasn't just being pedantic (for once). What I meant was that people should be, and usually are, free in this country to behave in a way which others don't much care for without risk of being unduly hassled (or indeed actually strung up).

We should, and generally do, defend the freedom of others to do things which we don't like. It is particularly important to continue to do this in circumstances like those in which we currently find ourselves. It would be very easy, but very wrong, to find intolerable the expression of views supportive of the sort of murder we saw here last week, for example.
ski holidays
Similar thing happened here in The City.
Hundreds of people gathered in Fisbury Square, cars and buses stopped.
Everybody standing still ans silent.
Frm here I quote my colleague Shaf (who is a Pakistani origin Muslim)
"Look at that guy, must be 60 years old, obviously muslim, full beard and wearing traditional pyjamas. He just walked down the road, right past the lot of us. No wonder some people get pissed off".
ski holidays
I'm not asking this to try and stir up controversy...but what is the point of having a two minute silence? My work colleagues and I were encouraged to stand outside the building in silence. I don't know what the response was, because I stayed inside.

I chose to observe the silence, because I felt that it would be offensive to those around if I didn't, but fail to understand the purpose of it. What I did with those two minutes, as I have been doing on a regular basis since last week, was to pray for the victims and their families. However, I'm guessing that many who stopped don't believe in prayer.

So why do we, as a nation, have so many "silent minutes"?
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, I had reservations about the silence too. I didn't observe (I work in my own office), partly because I forgot about it and partly because I'm not sure that it is the right response. I don't pray, as I have no one to pray to.

I think that the best reponse to the terrorists is to ignore them as far as possible and carry on as normal. Marches, silences and that sort of thing are not normal.

I'm not sure that a silence is appropriate for the victims, either. I favour a positive act of remembrance for those who put themselves, or are put by us, in danger on our behalf and suffer as a result, such as servicemen in wartime, and a silence is as good as anything else. It gives an opportunity to recall what happened to them and to remember that we were responsible for it. However, it seems rather a hollow gesture in the case of the unfortunate victims of an act like last week's bombs or 11th September; there is little that we can learn from what happened. It smacks of self indulgence to me.

I also have a general concern that we are becoming a society which wears it heart on its sleeve. Flowers and teddy bears at accident sites, endless interviews with anyone who might have suffered, however mildly, in some notable accident or the like, that sort of thing. Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I think that usually the best response is to carry on as if nothing had happened (which is not the same as ignoring it).

On the other hand, a colleague observed the silence, with others, outside in the street, and said that the togetherness of it was good. I think that one can over analyse these things; perhaps I should have just gone with the flow.
snow report
Elizabeth B, whilst I understand your concern I feel that as some one who doesn't pray that a period of silence is a dignified, collective, act of rememberance that when performed by the nation serves as a suitable non-aggressive response to the atrocities of last week. There are not many other things we can collectivley do that speak as loudly as silence!
snow report
I agree with stevew, I don't & didn't pray but went outside as a gesture of thanks to all those emergency workers who had to deal with the aftermath and of solidarity and sympathy to those survivors and relatives of victims. It was a time for reflection, may be self-indulgent, but I think a visible sign of what people wished to express. It is a personal thing and certainly up to the individual. I too think though that flowers and teddys and books of condolence are just too sentimental, unless you are laying flowers as an act of remembrance for someone you know has died. What do they do with all these books of condolence??

With regard to the incident I referred to above, it was very out of place - we are right next to King's Cross Station, everyone had come out of offices and hotels, all the traffic had stopped and it was a very rare feeling of silence, emotion and respect with so many people around. No-one moved or spoke and to have two lads walking along talking and laughing to each other I thought was disrespectful and insensitive. Fair enough, if they didn't wish to observe the 2 mins silence that is their right but they didn't have to actually be talking to each other. You could see hundreds of eyes following them.
snow report
Cathy Coins, their behaviour was at best ill mannered, and it would have been appropriate for someone to draw that to their attention. That sort of behaviour, 'though, is in some ways a reflection of the relatively free society in which we live, and which, so far as one can tell, the current terrorists don't much like. They would probably see that behaviour as yet another example of western moral turpitude.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy