Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strugied snow?

Poster: A snowHead
What is strugied snow? Seen this mentioned on the Cairngorm website.

I have an inkling that it's sort of heavy packed (refrozen?) snow patterned with shoe print sized holes of wind blown powder?

Can anyone enlighten me further?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sastrugi is the word used for the ridges/folds/ripples created on the surface of snow by the wind. Google sastrugi and you will find many explanations and photos.

Sastrugi goes well too with a cheese sauce wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was curious, so I googled it as ccl suggested. Came across this site, I've just spent a happy few minutes exploring and learnt quite a bit I think...

http://www.fsavalanche.org/Encyclopedia/index.htm

Not really on topic, but thought I'd share. Seemed like some pretty good explanations to me. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Schuss in Boots wrote:
I was curious, so I googled it as ccl suggested. Came across this site, I've just spent a happy few minutes exploring and learnt quite a bit I think...

http://www.fsavalanche.org/Encyclopedia/index.htm

Not really on topic, but thought I'd share. Seemed like some pretty good explanations to me. snowHead

Nice one, very clear.

I particularly liked the stability tests which included 'Wait for other people to jump into the slope before you' Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anarchicsaltire, Laughing Laughing Perhaps I shouldn't have posted it then, if too many people read it, it could lead to some interesting 'stale-mate' situations on the ridge.. Toofy Grin

No... please.. you go first... freshtracks are highly overrated... wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Think I've a better idea what it is after googling Sastrugi, thanks ccl, and there was a photo up on Cairngorm's website.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cairngorm is the very place I first tasted sastrugi. That was following a face plant, so I mean that literally Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All you need to know is that frozen sastrugi is almost certainly the worst snow condition you'll ever encounter! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevomcd, agreed. Having to choose the least worst place to turn on them, usually when you are getting battered by wind, makes one nostalgic for crust and crud. Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Sastrugi are various surface irregularities resulting from wind erosion, saltation of snow particles and deposition. Ranked by increasing size, these irregularities are known as ripples (~10 mm high), wind ridges, barchans and sastrugi (up to 1 meter high). Larger features are especially troublesome to skiers. Traveling on the irregular surface of sastrugi can be very tiring, and can risk breaking skis—ripples and waves are often undercut, the surface is hard and unforgiving with constant minor topographic changes between ridge and trough
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First experienced sastrugi at the top of Glencoe last about 2 weeks ago

Was not fun at all
Didn't help that the light was totally flat so you couldn't see it lol
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pics? I can't really imagine it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

First experienced sastrugi at the top of Glencoe last about 2 weeks ago
With me, it was on the descent after hiking to the summit of Cairngorm last season. There seems to be a Scottish theme emerging here.

I've also read about big sastrugi being a major problem for polar explorers - especially when dragging heavy sledges across it (them?).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely a Scottish theme emerging.

I was in Scotland the first time I heard the term and thought it was a reference to one of Mrs Baxter's famous soups!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

ski holidays
ringingmaster, Great pics. Very Happy The first one is very reminiscent of the icing on my Mum's xmas cakes. After all the p*ss taking, it turns out she was right; "it's supposed to look like snow dear". Laughing
snow report
A Scottish theme! Surely there's not enough wind in Scotland to produce proper sastrugi Smile
snow conditions
Unpronouncable & unskiable
(sure it used to have a T on the front, making it even more unpronouncable !)
latest report
e.g. wrote:
A Scottish theme! Surely there's not enough wind in Scotland to produce proper sastrugi Smile

You never skied Scotland then? Wink
snow report
roga wrote:
e.g. wrote:

You never skied Scotland then? Wink

Either e.g.'s been living in a parallel universe or they meant to mischievously miss their minky winky smiley. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

miss(ed) the[ir] minky winky smiley
snow conditions
^ & ^^ Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy