Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easiest way to Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Which airport is easiest for Zermatt? Geneva or Zurich? it seems a loog old transfer 3.25 hrs. Is there an easier way? train from geneav??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fuego, I think journeys from both airports take around the same time by train. I'd recommend Zurich though, it's a far more civilised airport. One change at Visp if you get the right train. Swiss trains are very comfortable but not that fast, but then much of the journey is in the mountains.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fuego, best way (unless you want to fork out for a taxi) is by train from Zurich or Geneva. As Colin B says, not much in it - maybe Zurich about half an hour closer if you get the right train - but from Geneva it is also normally single change at Visp. Both also have pretty good connections between arrivals and train station - Zurich probably a slightly shorter walk. Choose whichever airport has the more convenient flights - but all other things being equal I'd go for Zurich.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fuego, - Sion airport is the easiest way to travel to Zermatt and certainly the nearest.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbandit wrote:
fuego, - Sion airport is the easiest way to travel to Zermatt and certainly the nearest.

But you take your chances on weather diversions flying into Sion.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, - You are right, it can happen and a a pain in the ar$e when it does. Not happened to me with Sion, but suffered that problem last season coming in to Innsbruck when the landing was aborted and we were diverted to Munich instead. You takes your chances - as in life Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And don't forget the transfer ticket from swiss travel centre. I'd go Zurich, Geneva trains can be a bit scabby especially if some old interregio
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There aren't too many flights to Sion either. Snowjet from Stansted plus a few charters?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zurich - much much more civilised. If you fly Swiss the check-in at Zurich is an escalator and 50m from the platform too.

And I've been diverted from Sion to GVA too. Worth the risk for Verbier - not sure I'd bother for Zermatt.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd go with Zurich as well. Did it in January and a very easy transfer. As I remember the time I went from GVA I had to go into Geneva proper to change trains as well- may just have been a bad connection I chose though. Swiss Transfer Ticket is worth getting (there was a long ticket queue at the airport). Priced in GBP as well so that absorbs some of the current rubbish exchange rate.

Failing that Air Zermatt apparently do transfers for a 'consideration' for lottery winners........ rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fuego, I have been by train from Geneva to Zermatt and also Saas Fee. Very simple- if Zurich is easier then Zurich must be very very very easy.

From arrivals at Geneva turn left- walk about 50m- train station. Have coffee and or do shopping at Migros. Get rain- sit down and read book (or wrestle with children).

Change at Visp- very easy- get straight on Zermatt train (for Saas the bus will be waiting for you).

Although it is a long time it is not stressful- unlike say waiting for late arrivals on a tO coach Geneva-Val D'Isere then hours and hours of coach bound misery.

Swiss Rail transfers the same price no matter what so I'd go to Geneva / Zurich based on the convenience of the flight at the UK end (times / prices / departure airport).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The train is so expensive from GVA to Zermatt though. If there's a group of you, I'd recommend hiring a car and driving to Tasch, then getting the shuttle up from there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Callai, Currently £78 return using the Swiss Transfer ticket. Is that expensive ?

Edit: Children under 16 travelling with adults go free too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I work for Snowjet and just wanted to point out that we have been operating flight to Sion for 2 winters and that over that peiod only 1 flight has been diverted to an alternative airport due to weather.

For info, the transfer time from Sion to Zermatt is an hour and a half. For people wishing to use public transport for their onward travel there is a free shuttle bus service between the airport and Sion train/bus station. While the flight may be more expensive than alternatives to Geneva/ Zurich you'll save on the train fare.

Plus the airport handles only a low volume of passengers making your time spent at the airport a genuinely pleasant experience.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Powder Monkey- an interesting stat that only 1 flight has been diverted, sounds like Sion is more reliable than Chambery.

I'd take issue with time being spent at the airport being a "genuinely pleasant experience" though Laughing
snow report
Ok, so there's none of the entertainments you get a major international airports, save the restaurant which overlooks the runway and has a massive choice - I highly recommend the club sandwiches roast beef or smoked salmon which are served with a mountain of chips - but the beauty of Sion airport is you don't have to spend hours there. On arrival the aircraft parks literally outside the doors to the baggage reclaim hall and on departure you can check in up to 30 mins before the flight.

I also wanted to say that not all airlines are equal when it comes to operating to alpine airports and some perform better than others.
latest report
fuego wrote:
Hi,
Which airport is easiest for Zermatt? Geneva or Zurich? it seems a loog old transfer 3.25 hrs. Is there an easier way? train from geneav??

I found the drive from Milan Malpensa to be easy and scenic. Under 3 hours.
ski holidays
Quote:

Lateral thinking. Like it. Do budget airlines fly there though or is it just the likes of BA?
ski holidays
sanman wrote:
Quote:

Lateral thinking. Like it. Do budget airlines fly there though or is it just the likes of BA?

Easyjet.

What's "lateral" about flying to the nearest airport and hiring a car?
latest report
Quote:

not all airlines are equal when it comes to operating to alpine airports and some perform better than others.

Powder Monkey, Well said Mr PM...........we're travelling with you 28th January/ 4th Feb next year to Sion - me and Mrs Markymark29 heard great things about Snowjet from our pals that just flew Stansted/ Sion with you. wink
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

not all airlines are equal when it comes to operating to alpine airports and some perform better than others.

Powder Monkey, Well said Mr PM...........we're travelling with you 28th January/ 4th Feb next year to Sion - me and Mrs Markymark29 heard great things about Snowjet from our pals that just flew Stansted/ Sion with you. wink
Markymark29, Great to hear. Thanks to you and your friends for spreading the word. Any of you interested in a job in marketing? wink
snow conditions
Powder Monkey, I've got one already , but maybe Mrs Markymark29 can help a couple of days a week, we'll agree a fee! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy