Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet

Poster: A snowHead
In need of helmet recommendations, possibly with audio (ipod) option

Not necessary looking for the cheapest but a website / supplier with decent / best price

Thank you in anticipation
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sweet Trooper.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One you have tried on and find comfortable!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, I've bought cars for less than that. Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, Yeah it is (silly) expensive, but having tested the kayaking version on several sharp pointy rocks over the last few years, I'm very happy that it's the best head protection on the market (you only get one head...). Apart from the full face version anyway, but that is a bit overkill lol.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for the Trooper. Pricey, yes. But also top build quality, low profile and very light.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sweet trooper or giro G10 ?? OR SOMETHING DIFFERENT
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1969jma, What have you tried on? The best helmet is the one that fits. Sure, have a short list but try them on before you buy. Best advice is get down to your local ski shop.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
or go to one of the ski shows (London, Birmingham or Glasgow) where there are loads of different brands and try on as many as possible. It's all about fit.

A sweet trooper or G10 is sh1te if it doesn't fit.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Took me ages to find one that fitted, in one way I was lucky the sweets didn't. I ended up with the bern baker with the audio option. I'm quite happy with it even if it makes me look a bit like a nazi storm trooper
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got a K2 Rant and then bought bluetooth headphones which fit lovely in the audio pockets in the liner. Connect to ipod touch 4g using bluetooth so no cables Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would recommend also trying on goggles at the same time.

You may find a helmet is a good fit... only to find out that your goggles make it uncomfortable. On one helmet I tried it fitted great but with goggles it was uncomfortable on my nose. Helmet top pushed onto top of goggles.

The only goggles that would fit had a poor field of view.

So try both on at the same time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1969jma wrote:
sweet trooper or giro G10 ?? OR SOMETHING DIFFERENT

As everyone says - go to a shop that has a wide choice of brands (not just different models of one brand).

When I bought mine last year I tried on every helmet in the shop (Bucks Boarding Centre - excellent service, thanks guys) and came away with something completely different to the preconveived idea of the one I thought I wanted when I went in. It is ALL about fit and very little to do with look.

Would also second the tip to try goggles on as well. (Better take your own with you otherwise you'll inevitably end up spending another £60)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ipod/audio option?

I got a second hand ex-hire helmet from ebay for £5 with £5 delivery. I then purchased a pair of helmet headphones for about £7 with delivery included. Total cost £17!

Picture of helmet is here

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/medium/IM000745a.JPG

My old goggles fit well, but I got a pair of sunglasses in Primark for 50p so I was wearing them as the weather was good!

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't think buying a helmet second hand is the best idea tbh, unless you know and trust the seller (and have seen the helmet in person).
ski holidays
My helmet cost about $200, my googles cost about the same.
I'm just about to drop another $200+ on a new (probably) POC helmet even though my current (G10) helmet mostly looks fine apart from a few tree branch and transport dings, oh and it's about 5 years old and took a big backward fall thump last year. You can't see this though and that's why I'm with clarky999 on this, and happy to blow $200ish on a new one rather than £5 on an old one.
My previous helmet was retired after making a fairly hefty rock dent in it and also somehow a couple of ski dents in the back (I was still attached to them at the time - not quite sure how that is possible!), so can appreciate that spending a bit of money here is worthwhile.
snow conditions
Better a £10 helmet than no helmet at all!

rolling eyes
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
Better a £10 helmet than no helmet at all!

rolling eyes

Hurrah - It's popcorn time.
ski holidays
Definitely try one on first and try it with the goggles.

I wanted a sweet helmet but unfortunately my heads too big, ended up with the POC receptor. Good helmet, but the Oakley A-frames aren't a good fit so had to get some POC goggles.
snow report
My K2 has been great, comes with audio as standard. £50 from memory. If you can find one that fits, they seem to be very good value.
ski holidays
Looking for any helmet that does not make you look like a knob. They are hardly flattering............. rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy