Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Goggle Lenses

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, do you know of anywhere where I can get Oakley Goggle Lenses?

The ones that came with them when i bought them were great for the sun, but I couldnt see any gradient changes, bumps or dips!
Was having to use my sunglasses most of the time then blotting my eyes when i got to the bottom!

Is it just my eye sight or can anyone recomend a good all lense that can cope with the sun and let me see the piste much more!

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
korgscrew,

Have a look at http://www.freezeproshop.com/

I have bought several Oakley lenses from them. No problems.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
korgscrew, You need a yellow lens to give you a chance to see in bad light.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oakley have outlets in many high streets now (except Liverpool which has just closed Evil or Very Mad ) Go to their website and use the store locator http://uk.oakley.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jake43 wrote:
korgscrew, You need a yellow lens to give you a chance to see in bad light.

Yeah, the lense i have in is yellow which worked great when it was foggy but the next day when the snow and sun was blinding i couldnt see the contours and had a few backseat moments! Also found out it had no sun protection!

Found this nice table courtesy of cad99uk http://www.freezeproshop.com/oakley-lens-guide.irs

Looks like i may need a VR28 Black Iridium according to the chart.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
korgscrew, I find the persimmon lens to be fine as an all round one, my contact lenses also have some UV protection though. I also have Black Iridium and clear lenses.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
korgscrew, I use persimmon for low light and Black Iridium for bright sun. I only once used persimmon is bright light and nearly went blind!
try this http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/lens-tints
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would recommend trying a few different lenses until you find the ones most suited to you. If you're looking for one lens for all conditions I think you'll end up compromising at either end of the light spectrum.

I am super sensitive to bright light and glare so have always worn polarized sunglasses when skiing on sunny days. This spring, I'll be giving the emerald iridium goggle lens a try - it has the lowest light transmission and highest protection index of all their goggle lenses. I ordered the lens from the Oakley site and it was delivered within 3 days. Found it really simple to change the lens - took about a minute.

For flat light, I have tried the VR50 iridium and the HI persimmon (both made for flat light/overcast conditions) but in the end I found that the polarized HI amber lens (made for medium to bright light) worked better for me in those conditions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As most people have said, a lens is an individuals' choice.
However; my Oakley goggles came with persimmon lenses which I found to be only really suitable for dull days. I decided put a blue irridium lens in about 5 years ago and have found this to be a good compromise, I have had plenty of weeks out of them in both flat light and bright sunshine and always found them to be just right. I very rarely wear sunglasses and have never felt compelled to put the persimmons back in.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter_K, I like the blue iridium lens too, but only have them in my Radars, not my goggles. I've got a (very hard to find) hi-intensity fire lens in my O Frames, which is great - yellow base for contrast with an iridium coating to take off the worst of the glare, plus it looks cool Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have HI Yellows and Fire Iridium. They seem to cover both ends of the spectrum, but it's all down to personal taste.

Best pace to get them is on line.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker wrote:
I have HI Yellows and Fire Iridium.....

This is the best combo by far Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anybody know if it is possible to get reactive lenses for goggles? Similar to the prescription glasses you can get on the high street - The ones that are clear when it is darker out, and they darken up when the sun gets quite intense.
It seems like too good an idea for them to not be available. There must be a good reason.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter_K, Yes you can. google light sensitve goggles or something similar. I was offered a pair when I bought my oakleys but they dont; appeal so I can't remember the brand but it would have been mainstream.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter_K wrote:
Does anybody know if it is possible to get reactive lenses for goggles? Similar to the prescription glasses you can get on the high street - The ones that are clear when it is darker out, and they darken up when the sun gets quite intense.
It seems like too good an idea for them to not be available. There must be a good reason.

Hmmmm I wouldn't get them if they did, I used to have them in my glasses.

A. They react to the slightest of sun light so would always be tinted.
B. I looked like complete idiot when walking in from the outside as they too ages to react back. I constantly tripped over stuff when walking inside. I took them off most of the time to reduce the embarrassment which didn't with the eyesight either!
ski holidays
aha - A quick google has shown that they are available, although I think I will steer clear as they seem to have a few problems which Korgscrew has summed up quite well.

I have another problem with Oakley lenses. My sunglasses are polarised, which means that sometimes when walking around in flipflops during summer I am not able to see certain puddles due to the way in which the light reflects off of them. I get wet feet.
snow conditions
Peter_K, only a very small number of Oakley goggles have polarised lenses. All my sunnies (not Oakleys) are polarized and I can't say I've ever experienced what you have Laughing They do add a metallic blue/green/red sheen to highly reflective surfaces though.
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
I am super sensitive to bright light and glare so have always worn polarized sunglasses when skiing on sunny days. This spring, I'll be giving the emerald iridium goggle lens a try - it has the lowest light transmission and highest protection index of all their goggle lenses.

Reporting back on the emerald iridium lens, which I have used for 5 weeks now in the blazing hot and sunny conditions in Chamonix:

This lens is the bomb! It is by far the best lens I have used in bright and glarey conditions. It eliminates glare completely and reduces the brightness to a natural, comfortable level - I never once scrunched up my eyes. It also give a natural blue cast to the light.

I am so impressed that I'm going to order several backup lenses for my goggles (just in case Oakley decides to stop making the lens), as well as a couple of pairs of sunglasses with these lenses - for hiking, climbing and surfing days.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy