Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decisions Decisions - Italy or Cairngorm!!?? Decision Made!

Poster: A snowHead
roga, I hardly go on every thread trying to sell holidays! I hardly every post on snowheads!!!! I saw that someone was looking for a holiday in Italy who had a three year old child. Apologies if you think that I'm trying to sell - I genuinely thought that I was posting something completely relevent to what the OP was about.

Perhaps I'll not bother in future - apologies!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gilly28 wrote:

lynseyf, I'm not sure about Glencoe for him, he would have to use the 1st poma after you come off the chair, and, unless it has changed in recent years (not been up for a couple) I recall it had a right fast pull at the beginning and could take you off the ground a bit - I don't think he could cope with that at present.

I think it is a lot slower now. Glencoe was the first Scottish resort I went to and I remember falling off this poma repeatedly. When I was up last week I noticed how much gentler it was but to be honest I think all pomas are difficult for the really wee ones and I'm amazed how well some of them do.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Yip I do agree in my experience lift queues in Scotland at weekends are bad. I was in Cairngorm last year at half term and we got hardly any runs in (granted we had limited time to ski as wee one was only 2 at the time - but one queue we were in for an age, must have been at least a half hour!) Scotland is def the worst queues I've experienced.

Not true in my experience.

Last season we skiied at least 1 day every weekend (except 1 - on 20th May) at Cairngorm from the beginning of March until 6th June and had no lift queues whatsoever.

The statement above about lack of skiers in the spring was definitely the case! Very Happy Very Happy

Heading up there again tomorrow and can't wait!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Joanne Mountainsun, Thanks, I've had a look at the link - whether you are plugging or not, I then have the option to look or not, so ok by me. To be honest we need a package at this late date, as doubtful (we've looked at some) that we can get any cheap flights at this late date, but I will need to have a look properly at a later date, as we will be looking along with other families for a holiday next year..........
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergmeister, I think Spring skiing sounds the way to go in Scotland to avoid the queues. Did have one amazing day in Cairngorm years ago in May, the best skiing ever I've had in Scotland. Hope the season lasts into May this year, would be awesome to get up in the sun! Anyone camped and then skied around May?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Joanne Mountainsun, the comments I made were an attempt at saying it in a being friendly fashion and I made sure I included positive comments about your company (which are from personal experience as well as that of friends) - I trust your tone isn't suggestive that you're nose has been put out of joint by friendly comment!

In this instance IMHO your comments above were clearly a mix of useful information (this is the sort of price etc) and an attempt at promoting your company. IMHO the latter is a problem and in my observation yes you don't post very often but every post, as far as I've seen, is related to your company therefore you are a commercial poster soley posting to promote your company rather than an individual who posts on the forum because they are an enthusiastic skier (even if they happen to work in the industry). You doubtless pay the forum money in order to do so unmolested by moderators but IMHO you should be aware that being too blatantly promotional can put some of us off a bit. I appreciate it's a hard line to walk but given you post as and for Mountainsun (or am I mistaken?) I'd suggest some more subtlety at times might be appropriate. I'd say it might have been more appropriate to post something more like "I love Italy but have never skied in Scotland although I hear it's great this season. I work for a company that's currently offering £X00pp deals which I think are a very good price (not including flights) so I suggest you look for something at or around thta price mark. I can PM you further details of what we can offer if you like?". It's kinda like the diference between the Currys approach to selling and that of a store that will offer you advice and leave you to make up your own mind - does that make sense?

It's a personal observation and one you can ignore if you like but just be aware some people may feel it's a trice innapropriate at times (well one at least) - no offence intended, just friendly advice Smile

Leaving all that aside Gilly28 Mountainsun is an excellent company in my experience and you could do a lot worse than booking with them if you are going to Italy, in fact if the price is right I doubt you'll find better!

BTW Joanne Mountainsun, the above is an impartial comment if you get my drift Toofy Grin

Sorry Gilly28 for the above but there have been a couple of occasions when I've been close to making these observations, this just happened to be the time I did it ... I guess it's because it involves Scottish skiing which I'm kinda passionate about! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gilly28, Livigno - approx 5 hour transfer from Bergamo. I remember having to get up at 3am to get the return transfer coach. Not the best memory to take away from a good week's skiing. However, I think there may be transfers from Innsbruck now, which I think is about 3 hours.

The other thing I remember is that it's a duty free resort. Don't remember much else.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, Fair enough - but I disagree that I only ever post on here promoting MS. I am a passionate skier and snowbaorder since childhood who, yes, happens to work in the industry (it being my passion). Sadly, since joining MS I have not had the opportunity to enjoy my passion anywhere other than where we have our chalets (some 8 years since I had a non-work related holiday). We've had a tough season, and I've spent a lot of time in resort and hardly any skiing this season - hugely frustrating!! And this upcoming week in San Cass is the closest I'll get to a holiday and I'm looking forward to it so was simply putting out there something on offer, relevent to the post.

Thank you for your positve comments about MS. If you look at my post I've not said anything so positive about the company, simply posted a link that might be helpful about something that I happen to know about. Yes I work for the company, but I'm excited about going! I can't help that!! I don't say this is brilliant because ...

I have skied in Scotland, but not for a very long time. The experience wasn't good - so I've not commented on that, not wanting to seem like I was being dismissive about the other option. However according to the news last night conditions in Scotland over the next couple of weeks are going to be excellent.

I am called Joanne Mountainsun on this forum since we first launched the ski and board camp a few years ago and hundreds of posts were coming up on here asking questions - I came on to represent and give answers to the questions without promoting!

As for nose being out of joint - I suppose I'm just a little offended by your suggestion that I hijack threads to promote MS. It's not true, I rately post on here because I'm too busy! Not because I'm not a keen skier! And when I do it's not always about MS. I do not pay SH money to post on here without being harrassed by moderators - I certainly hope that it's not the case that the moderators of Snowheads take part in such an exercise??? Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Joanne Mountainsun, hi again - with regards your first point it's just an observation based on the posts I've seen, if I've got the wrong impression then apologies but I guess the lesson is if one (pretty frequent poster) has got that impression others might have too so just be aware of that.

I'd be excited too - have a lovely time snowHead

Conditions in Scotland are currently superb (another blue sly and top to bottom coverage day today), frankly probably better than many western Alpine resorts - Cairngorm have had top to bottom on-piste sliding since early November but currently conditions are probably better than at any point so far this season. However I think most of not all of us have been up front in saying nothing is ever a given in Scotland and the weather can be more volatile than in the Alps (it's a maritime climate).

Yes I remember when you came on here to answer questions and to be fair that is what you've done most of the time when representing the company and fair play to you Smile

Sorry, I didn't mean to say you hijacked threads and I'm not convinced I did although it seems you might have read it that way. Just to be clear that's not the suggestion, I'm just saying a bit of subtelty in mentioning the company might be good at times although this conversation has probably done the company no harm at all, in fact it might have got you some more customers lol!

I think you've picked up my moderators point incorrectly, I'm not suggesting anything underhand - generally people who just come on here and make even vaguely commercial postings get very short shrift from both the people who post here and the mods. The ettiquette is that people who have made contributions to the site, by supporting it monetarily and/or by posting a lot in a non-promotional way, tend to be given a lot more rope with commercial posts before any problems occur. I've seen people ripped to shreds in the past for coming on here making a perfectly reasonable post that's unrelated to their commercial activities but for having a sig that includes a link to their commercial website. Others have arrived who have made a monetary contribution to support the site (and have correctly okayed their position with the site team) and proceed to make posts that are related to their commercial activities and/or promoted them and they have been fine and garnered no criticism. I presumed you were in the latter category because I presume you've never been picked up for mentioning your company, if that's not the case then you may have been lucky because some people on here are not as polite as I am ... honest Toofy Grin

Anyway, look I've explained and you've explained so lets leave it there - if what is meant to be friendly advice is accepted then fine, if it's not then that's really not my issue. Lets leave the thread to get back on topic and if you still disagree with what I'm saying lets either agree to disagree or take it to PM. As I say Mountainsun is a great company and I have no axe to grind, there's a good few weeks of the season left to enjoy wherever we are so let's chill and enjoy it eh! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
I have skied in Scotland, but not for a very long time. The experience wasn't good - so I've not commented on that, not wanting to seem like I was being dismissive about the other option. However according to the news last night conditions in Scotland over the next couple of weeks are going to be excellent.

Sorry to hear your limited experience of Scottish snow wasn't good. I suspect I know where you might have skied and under what conditions. But having skied somewhere in Scotland pretty much every week since the middle of November, I remember every one of those sixteen (so far) days out being great experiences despite some fairly ferocious conditions and poor overhead at times. There was never any queuing (I now know from years of experience to avoid Cairngorm during early season weekends and Christmas / mid term holidays). There's not been one occasion when I've wanted to pack up before last lifts for any reason other than my own weak flesh. And if I'd had the time and cash to afford more of it, I'd have loved to have done twice as many days.

Before I go out to the Alps at Easter, I'll have already skied at least 3 full weeks this season in a mixture of conditions and be ready for anything (except queues) in Austria. If the weather in Austria is sunny, blowy, cloudy, rainy or snowy or the snow is deep, powdery, thin, icy, hard or bumpy, I'll have skied it already and would you believe, enjoyed it all. Very Happy The bottom line is if you're able to adapt to not having 'mountain sun' Alpine holiday conditions and you have a mindset for skiing for the joy of the sport rather than for catching the sun's rays amongst the tipplers, poseurs and holiday makers on the terrace, you will have a great time in Scotland. I really enjoy both approaches to skiing but if only one of them floats your boat then that's OK too Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
roga, Fair enough - but I disagree that I only ever post on here promoting MS.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, then actions speak louder than words...

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75011&highlight=

Kind of makes roga's point really, doesn't it? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All I can say is that roga has given a load of free advertising space to Joanne.

Roga, how much are you being paid by Joanne to be awkward? I think we should be told.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schuss in Boots, I must be being REALLY thick here and missing the point. On the link you've just pointed out the person asks if anyone knows of somewhere in the dolomites that's close to the piste and ski school; I've linked somewhere that exactly fits the description. Is there something wrong with doing that? Is that not what the person is asking for? I've made no comment about it ... I really, truely, honestly don't understand!!! If someone can enlighten me (via PM if you wish) I'd be grateful.

OP - wherever you end up be it Italy/Scotland have a great time! Sorry that this thread has been taken over ... it absolutely was not the intention; I was only trying to be helpful. As I said, I can only tell you about what I know!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, I skied in Avimore about 20 years ago. It was extremely windy and bitterly cold. I would love the opportunity to try Scotland again because I'm not shallow enough to think my one expereince is representative, and I've heard some fantastic tales ... living in Cornwall though, it's a long way to go!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Joanne Mountainsun, sorry chuck, on the other thread the OP is specifically asking about the 2 hotels that they have linked to, not for more recommendations, so I can see where Schuss in Boots is coming from
ski holidays
Joanne Mountainsun, No, he didn't. He asked for information on the two hotels he specifically linked to. IMO, what you are doing wrong is pimping your business in place of providing any useful information. Compare your post in that thread to Wayne's post. As far as I'm aware, you both have businesses to pimp in the area - but he chose to answer the OP's question and provide useful information and links that specifically answered the OP's question. You didn't.
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun, Sorry, I meant to also say that you obviously have a great deal of knowledge of the areas you work in, it would be really great if you could impart some of that when you post. If there was a balance between the two, I'm sure we wouldn't mind so much if Mountainsun were indeed the answer to all questions.. wink
snow report
Apologies - I skimmed through the text and I have now removed what I've put.

First time I've been on here for a while, ... I apologise for causing offence. I am not trying to "pimp" and I will now get lost! sorry...
snow conditions
Scotland or Italy? Really? Look at the worse case scenario and the weather is really really bad. Where would you prefer to be?
ski holidays
Joanne Mountainsun, Ditto. I've amended mine. Very Happy Please don't get lost though, it would be great if you stayed around. Apologies if I was a bit heavy - I went to the Sledgehammer school of tact and diplomacy... rolling eyes
latest report
and was expelled for being too hardcore
snow report
tiffin, NehNeh Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
Sorry to hear your limited experience of Scottish snow wasn't good. I suspect I know where you might have skied and under what conditions.

If you hadn't mentioned it I'd have guessed where you were suspecting it was Wink
Quote:
The bottom line is if you're able to adapt to not having 'mountain sun' Alpine holiday conditions and you have a mindset for skiing for the joy of the sport rather than for catching the sun's rays amongst the tipplers, poseurs and holiday makers on the terrace, you will have a great time in Scotland. I really enjoy both approaches to skiing but if only one of them floats your boat then that's OK too Smile

Spot on there mate! Very Happy
James the Last wrote:
All I can say is that roga has given a load of free advertising space to Joanne.

Roga, how much are you being paid by Joanne to be awkward? I think we should be told.

LOL, I was kindof aware that was happening but hey if it was some companies I'd be more bothered by that but hey in this case am I bothered .... nah! Toofy Grin

Dr John, Scotland? NehNeh
Schuss in Boots wrote:
I went to the Sledgehammer school of tact and diplomacy... rolling eyes

I did say I was being a lot friendlier about it than some on here would be Razz wink

It's a Friday afternoon, you'd never guess would you! Wink
snow report
Ok, we've made our decision and booked a holiday to ...........Pila!
Sorry Scotland! LOL

I think what cracked it is a few comments of Cairngorm is a more last minute checking the weather place, not really a family holiday where you know you'll be skiing every day (or that's the way I read them), and I totally agree, having been there, done that, but not expected it to be a 6 day week ski holiday when we did go last year, where this time it is what we want. I'm quite happy to ski in all weathers, and have done it many a time in Scotland, I was just happy to be skiing, but not sure son is quite ready for those icy winds and whiteouts!

Plus the bonus was that by late last night they had reduced the price from £429 to £372, so a further saving of £171, so we booked first thing this morning. Been to Pila before and loved it as a nice small family resort to go with children to (loved it pre children as well).

We are hoping to take the wee man some days in Scotland over the Easter holidays, just more expense I suppose.

Thanks for all of the help in coming to our decision, and a bit more insight into Scottish skiing later in season and the lack of queues that we all expect.

Now does anyone know why the forum logs me out everytime I go onto page 2 of this thread Puzzled
ski holidays
Gilly28, have a fantastic time snowHead
snow report
Gilly28, Well that came out of left field. I love the small delights of Pila and have just come back from there a few weeks ago - so I do hope you have a great time.

I posted a Trip Report here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75209 if you have not seen it and it is of any help.

Just in case roga] is watching - I have no association with Pilaski I just find her very good at organising our trips for us. Not to mention she is Scottish so that must count for something.
latest report
Quote:

the Italian deal includes half board and wine
Wouldn't the Scottish deal include unlimited Buckfast? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Jake43, Thanks I did have a look at your trip report when trying to come to a decision. I have also contacted Carole at Pilaski re sons ski school, as she gets great reviews on here. I see you use a local shop for ski hire when there, we were going to hire sons skis when there rather than through Crystal - good idea or not? Are the local shops all as good as each other?

I see you mention Bar Societe, is that fairly new, I don't recall it when there 3 years ago I think it was. I've seen it mentioned on Pilaski also.

Now just keeping an eye on the Weather Outlook thread (well what I can understand of it!)

mountainaddict, Cheeky! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gilly28, Carole organises ours from a small local shop in the centre of the resort, I am sure she would sort it for you. It helps that she speaks Italian as the guy only speaks Italian or some French.

There are 2 larger outfits down the bottom end of town by the car park, if that is easier for the Hotel you are staying at.

Societe is tucked away and has only been there a couple of years. Brilliant spot though tricky to find. If you have hooked up with Carole she is normally happy to show you round and will make sure you know where everything is.

They have had good snow this year, we had a foot the week we were there, so you should be ok.

Just hope you enjoy it., we do.
latest report
No contest, Italy for the full holiday/ alpine experience.

Livigno, been twice, good value, good snow, good lifts, 2 distinct ski areas in one town, drawback is long transfer.

Have skied Scotland a few times, a bit hit and miss if wanting to book in advance. It's grand if you live there, but for me the ferry cost is prohibitive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy