Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decisions Decisions - Italy or Cairngorm!!?? Decision Made!

Poster: A snowHead
In a bit of a dilema. Looking at a late deal to Italy 27th March. It's half board,with wine, and if we include lift passes for me and OH (son is only 3) and ski hire for son, it comes to around £1650.

We live in Glasgow, and as you know Scotland is getting loads of snow, and Cairngorm looks fab. Did a quick pricecheck on the Hilton Coylumbridge and also the MacDonald, both coming in around £600 for the week, (only breakie and dinner on first night for Hilton, think the MacDonald was just breakie) so when we add fuel, lift passes, ski hire for son and approx cost for dinner each night, it comes to approx £1300. A bit of a saving but not huge considering.

I'm really drawn to sticking with Italy, but we should be cutting costs as it is our second ski hol this year, but for the difference I'm not sure it is worth it, plus the drawbacks I see for Cairngorm are :

We may not get skiing much if the weather is bad.
Queues even to get up to the hill if they close the road for any length of time.
Closure of the hill due to winds.
I find, there are sometimes more people just head onto the hills in Scotland with a pair of skis/board and looks like they've never had any instruction at all - not keen on this for the safety reasons for my son.
Not sure if I would get any lessons for son - seems that even private is 6 & over. While we are happy to ski with him, one of the reasons for the second holiday is to bring on his skiing.
Not as nice to stop skiing early in Cairngorm and sit with a beer in the bar/sun as it is in Italy - the Day Lodge just doesn't do it for me - sorry!

Also if sticking to Scotland, we would mabye wait until the Easter break rather than taking him out of nursery, and then we have the added queues that comes with school holidays. Plus, we may not go for the full week again cutting some costs or may do some days in Glenshee.

On our earlier holiday in the PDS the snow wasn't the best but the weather was fab, and to be honest we were happy as we think it was easier for a 3 year old to learn in that than winds beating against his face.

As I said I am more drawn to Italy, and I suppose I am writing this post to either get clarification that it is the best choice for our situation, or for some more insight (tips on maybe other places to stay - have rented apartments in past in Aviemore but they've been a wee bit out of town) into a ski holiday in Scotland with a 3 year old - having only ever been skiing here without kids.

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-03-11 18:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gilly28, I'd decide around the 22nd if poss. If there's no holidays when you're going you'll be able to make a last minute decision. it is very possible there will be plenty more here!

pm roga if he doesn't post here and he'll be able to tell you if there's any options lessons wise for the kid.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
conditions aside (as theyre looking top notch in Scotland), and the weather is getting quite nice this time of year - see pics from today in the conditions thread

hilton coylumbridge is BRILLIANT for the little uns, real family place with day and evening entertainment, lovely warm pool with dedicated kiddies bit, onsite "funhouse" and even nanny/babysitting service. We got hitched there and have friends who live in Inverness (30 miles away) with kids who come on hols for a week there every year!!

Plenty of excellent food & hooch options around aviemore, and queues / dodgy beginners on the hill wont be an issue apart from the weekends. (you get queues & dodgy beginners at weekends in Italy too like!)

Remember too that staying in Aviemore puts you 45 minutes for the lecht (superb for the little guy), and 90 minutes from Nevis range.

All that said, I love skiing in Italia - sounds a decent deal, not sure which I'd choose

glad to help Laughing Puzzled Laughing

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 16-03-11 21:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where in Italy?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If i could afford to go skiing right now to any ski resort i would be going to Cairngorm and i mean that. I was up there in early Feb and conditions were not amazing, but i loved it. With all this new snow conditions look stunning, I would wait for a week then see how conditions are. Good luck!!! Instead of a hotel, why not rent a cottage in Scotland, you would save quite a bit!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gilly28, It sounds as if the other things that make a good holiday are more important than the good snow in Cairngorm. I'm there for the weekend next week, but if I was looking for a family week I'd be off to Italy (especially for the sitting in the sun with a beer)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ahhh - The old snowheads.com myth that its cheaper to go to the alps than Scotland Wink

There is no doubt that Scotland could be done at a decent price *if* you wanted to ski there for a week.
Especially if your based anywhere 'up north'.
Took me about 30 seconds to find the following...

Accommodation
6 person lodge. £224 for a week
http://www.lagganlialodges.com/pages/special_offers.html

Lift pass
5 day (any area) pass. £130.
http://ski.visitscotland.com/five-day-pass

OR... 4 days at Cairngorm - Adult £100. Junior £61.60
http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase

Italy might have nicer weather and more reliable snow (on average).
The pizza is better for sure Wink
But please don't spin out the old myth that 'its cheaper and easier to go to the alps'.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 16-03-11 22:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap, Nobody has said it's cheaper or easier to go the alps Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ummm...

Quote:
We live in Glasgow, and as you know Scotland is getting loads of snow.. etc.. . Did a quick pricecheck....etc.... comes to approx £1300. A bit of a saving but not huge considering.

For sure - go and ski in Italy. Sounds fantastic Very Happy
But don't justify it by saying it would cost just as much to ski in Scotland - especially if your starting in Glasgow.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 16-03-11 21:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wind or pasta?

The only two things that will affect your holiday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Ummm...

Quote:
We live in Glasgow, and as you know Scotland is getting loads of snow.. etc.. . Did a quick pricecheck....etc.... comes to approx £1300. A bit of a saving but not huge considering.

For sure - go and ski in Italy. Sounds fantastic Very Happy
But don't justify it by saying it would cost just as much to ski in Scotland - especially if your starting in Glasgow.

call me pedantic, but she's saying it's £300 more to go to Italy. Of course non-one knows how the OP has calculated the costs...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap,
Quote:
But don't justify it by saying it would cost just as much to ski in Scotland

He didn't. He said they would save £350 by going to Cairngorm but that the difference wasn't enough to sway him.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yup - but the key point is that a week in Scotland could be done for way less than £1300....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, I suppose the comparison is "like for like" - the Italian deal includes half board and wine. A similar package in Scotland, for someone living in Glasgow, saves £350. For someone living in Portsmouth I guess it would come out much the same, or even more expensive, than a last minute deal to Italy.

Unsurprisingly, when you come to think of it.

Either option sounds good, actually. Nice dilemma. I suspect the lift queues will be considerably less in Italy, and they're getting the best snow in the Alps.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, there won't be any lift queues at any Scottish ski centre (not even at Cairngorm) by the 27th March. Looking at the OP's list of perceived 'drawbacks' though, I don't think they'd be in the right mindset to enjoy making a holiday week at Aviemore/Cairngorm even if it cost them nothing. wink
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, Yip ok, I do understand that it can most likely be done cheaper in Scotland, and I wasn't "spinning out the old myth" but I was doing a comparison to a hotel in Italy compared to a hotel in Aviemore.(Maybe I could do a comparison to a place outside of the ski resort in Italy and see how it pans out?) As said, we have done an apartment in Scotland (well a lodge and a cottage) but both were either on the outskirts or outside of Aviemore (I do understand the Hilton is not in centre of Aviemore either but it has its own entertainment). Plus to be honest, I think it would be better to be in a decent hotel for an Aviemore trip incase we can't get skiing, at least we'll have a nice pool, kids play area etc. Thanks for the links re the ski passes, will need to check it out, one of the links didn't work, haven't tried the other, but I just took the prices off the Cairngorms own website a 4 day plus a 2 day as that was all I could see-just to make a quick comparison.

barry, You were convincing me that Cairngorm/Aviemore was the way to go until your last statement!

holidayloverxx, Yip you've got the point, we didn't get the best snow in PDS Feb, but that didn't matter, and the sun ensured my sons first ski holiday wasn't one of freezing cold wind, constant snow, feeling miserable.

scotia, Thanks if Roga doesn't post I may pm him re kiddie lessons, as that is a factor.

Guys thanks for all the quick replies. I think the main point is that it is not just us on a ski trip not too concerned if it was windy etc. (I've done many a Sunday in Glencoe and Nevis), but that we also have a 3yr old to entertain if weather isn't skiable, what if he gets put off skiing coz the weather is miserable. I do love the sound of it, would love to introduce him to Scottish skiing, but also worried that we spent nearly as much and don't have a decent holiday. Would love to hear from others with kids same age (he is 4 in April) to see what they think - their experience.

Thanks again
snow conditions
Quote:

there won't be any lift queues at any Scottish ski centre (not even at Cairngorm) by the 27th March.

really? Not even at weekends with fabulous snow? I confess to having very little experience of Cairngorm and I can't remember what time of year I was there. Super snow, super weather (well, on the Saturday) but the lift queues were the worst I've encountered (worse than the 3 Valleys at New Year even).
snow report
Gilly28, Laughing ya almost talked myself out of it!

your holidays are no doubt ruled by the little one having a good time, which I guess lessens the skiing importance somewhat.
I cant recommend the hilton highly enough for kiddies, our little terror is younger (2) so not yet skiing, but he gets a morning in the hilton every tuesday, swim followed by the ball pit etc.

weatherwise, really late march/early April can be fab, still some fresh snow coming through but nice weather. From here on in we will be seeing significantly more days like today (my fave time of the season, can beat spring touring)
latest report
pam w, weekends will continue busy-ish if it's good conditions, but it's amazing how many folk give up on the season as soon as spring weather starts to show up, they all get the bikes / golf clubs out etc. Quite often the season is brought to a close by lack of punters rather than lack of snow
snow report
pam w, Yip I do agree in my experience lift queues in Scotland at weekends are bad. I was in Cairngorm last year at half term and we got hardly any runs in (granted we had limited time to ski as wee one was only 2 at the time - but one queue we were in for an age, must have been at least a half hour!) Scotland is def the worst queues I've experienced.

moffatross, Yeah you're maybe right in that we are not convinced to go to Aviemore at present, not that we wouldn't enjoy it at any cost, even free. We've spent a few holidays there, last year for a week at half term Feb, in Oct 2010 for a week, plus previous others and days. I presented "my personal" list of drawbacks, in the hope that maybe someone with experience of skiing there with kids would help out with their thoughts. Plus to be honest I would be gutted if we decided to spend 5 days there and only got on the hill on two for instance, which could happen, and I think that is my main worry. At half term last year we left at 8am one day and didn't get on the hill (and I mean to car park) until 11am due to the road being shut as they were clearing the snow.....then there were the queues as mentioned. Maybe I need more convincing...
snow conditions
barry, Ah ur still convincing me to go to Aviemore! I've been to Hilton, before our wee one came along, but with friends and their son, plus few other friends with kids go regularly. We've been saying we need to go sometime, so that is another arguement for - why not do what we've been meaning to do and get great snow as a bonus. Argh!
ski holidays
It's been dumping in Italy too (and supposed to again), so I'd be going to Italy (Piedmont particularly...). The fact that Italy has better food and hotter women has absolutely nothing to do it wink
latest report
pam w, I've thought about getting back on the golf course already so the skis will need to take a break eventually. Often when there isn't snow in the central belt it can be amazing up north and no one will visit.

Gilly28, always remember here from when I was really young so it could be something to add to the list of things to do if there's no snow in Italy or Scotland Wink
snow report
Gilly28, La taverna at the junction of the village to the ski road is as authenthic a rustic Italian eatery as you can get, really great - and they do my favourite dinner too - BUFFET!
snow conditions
damn, wish i didnt live here so I could come on my holidays wink
ski holidays
barry, on Monday night I cracked my head on one of the wall mounted lanterns Laughing
snow report
scotia, Hey will keep that in mind thanks!

barry, Always see La Taverna but never tried it, will be there on my next visit, be it end of March or not.

As Pam says, it is a nice dilema, but not really! Keep thinking - go to Italy then do a day here and there in Scotland in Easter hols (when it will be busy doh!), but don't really have the funds.......
snow report
barry, damn, wish i didnt live here so I could come on my holidays

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gilly28, sorry, I didn't mean to be churlish Embarassed , I actually agreed with your reasoning in respect of what you want to get out of your money. If it all went pear-shaped, you'd maybe be left with bad memories. I've spent a few weekends and long ones during Easter at Cairngorm with my two boys but they've always been opportunistic ones and I'd never take the gamble of relying on a whole week's skiing there. If you need to book work leave off etc, I reckon you'd be best to book the Italy trip and then if you can afford a last minute overnighter at the Hilton (you can sometimes get a dinner, bed and breakfast family room there on a Saturday night for not much more than £100), you can get another couple of days skiing in when you know conditions are going to be good. Our last days at Cairngorm for the last couple of years have both been in May so there's plenty of season left for it. Smile

A few observations on those reasons though ...

"We may not get skiing much if the weather is bad AND Closure of the hill due to winds."
Yep true. It's a gamble and not one that I'd risk taking by booking and paying for 5 or 6 days, 2 weeks or so in advance.

"Queues even to get up to the hill if they close the road for any length of time."
That would come with lots of snow and at a time of the year that's unlikely to be busy, it would be a price worth paying.

"I find, there are sometimes more people just head onto the hills in Scotland with a pair of skis/board and looks like they've never had any instruction at all - not keen on this for the safety reasons for my son."
That wouldn't worry me. Later season in Scotland, the hills tend to be the domain of enthusiasts, i.e. the more seasoned and (ahem, cough wink ), 'maturer' skiers.

"Not sure if I would get any lessons for son - seems that even private is 6 & over. While we are happy to ski with him, one of the reasons for the second holiday is to bring on his skiing."
Italy will have a lot of chairlifts. Is he going to be happy on Cairngorm's T-bars & Pomas ?

"Not as nice to stop skiing early in Cairngorm and sit with a beer in the bar/sun as it is in Italy - the Day Lodge just doesn't do it for me - sorry!"
Quite agree. And then you have to drive down the road.

"Also if sticking to Scotland, we would mabye wait until the Easter break rather than taking him out of nursery, and then we have the added queues that comes with school holidays. Plus, we may not go for the full week again cutting some costs or may do some days in Glenshee."
I think you'd find the Easter holidays surprisingly unbusy. The big crowds are reserved for January and February weekends and mid-term holidays.
latest report
bar shaker wrote:
Wind or pasta?

The only two things that will affect your holiday.

I'm sure pasta can give you wind ... Razz wink

But seriously folks ... hope I'm not too late, been at the dry slope tonight so back late and not been online for a few hours.

It's a good dilemma to be frank and there's been enough said about the choice between the two so I'll leave that one.
Gilly28 wrote:
scotia, Thanks if Roga doesn't post I may pm him re kiddie lessons, as that is a factor.

Yes, with regards lessons I think The Ski School do privates for younger children than 6 - have never done one myself but I have a feeling they/we do and the privates page on the website says "Ideal for our younger skiers and snowboarders who are too small to join the group lessons and who require one-to-one attention" which seems to confirm what I'm saying if I'm reading correctly and haven't missed anything. I'd phone to check though, the numbers are 08455 191 191 or 01479 861319 10am to 4pm and if you like you can say that I referred you from the Snowheads forum (Roger).

However just being devils advocate on the basis of my experience, I'd suggest being clear first in your mind about what you want - for a child of 4 really what I'd suggest you might be looking for is a snow 'experience' on skis. A European snow garden will on the face of it give you that but outwith holidays you may find most of the kids who are booked in will not speak English - something I discovered in France the first time I booked my daughter in when, if I remember correctly, she was 4/5. It did her skiing a lot of good but she actually hated it (and still at 11 mentions the fact) because none of the other kids spoke English and she felt quite isolated. Obviously in Scotland that would be different but then you'd be booking privates so there would be no other kids around to socialise with, in that case the skills of the instructor in communicating with a small child would be paramount - there are some excellent instructors who are fantastic with small children in the Ski School but I'd think carefully about what would suit your child best before booking anything.

Anyway, I hope that helps ... sorry if it complicates things though!
snow conditions
Italy.
snow conditions
I have an office in Italy and two offices in Scotland, so I'm keeping well out of this one, as I "know" what the reaction would be if someone gave an in depth and honest answer. wink

All I'll say is that where ever you end up I hope you have a good time.
snow conditions
Italy ! www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/San-Cassiano/6day/mid ... can't wait to get there myself in a couple of weeks Smile

AND - how about our creche week so that your 3 year old gets care too!! www.mountainsunltd.com/special_offers/view/affordable-childcare--italy That's when I'm going - my son is 4.
ski holidays
How about a couple of weekend trips to Glencoe, much nearer to you in Glasgow. We stayed in the Ballachulish Hotel where you can get DBB for £30/person, really nice hotel and lovely food and you can use the leisure facilities at their sister hotel.

http://www.ballachulishhotel.com/special-offers/activity-breaks.htm
ski holidays
moffatross, Thanks for some comments, nice to hear that it is not as busy in Cairngorm around Easter will def be keeping that in mind - oh to have unlimited funds then could easily just do both!! OH is self employed and I'm a stay at home mum, so booking time off not so much of an issue, just worried the particular Italy deal we are looking at goes - it already has went up in price. T-bars/Pomas - yip def a factor, he has only done the snow garden in Morzine, but on his lesson at Xscape when he came back he was using the poma, but then again, with an instructor he'll get used to using them more - he has to at some point.

roga, Thanks for the info, will give the ski school a call. He did spend a week in the Piou Piou club in Morzine and his experience was similar to your daughters, his skiing came on great, but he didn't seem overly excited about it, he was all smiles when out in the snow garden skiing, but he wasn't running in with a spring in his step, but he did say he enjoyed it, it was hard to tell as he was tired as well, but he was the only english speaking kid in his group. If we go to Italy, he may have to have private, as at present they don't have a class for his age that week - obviously not got enough kids to run a class yet.

lynseyf, I'm not sure about Glencoe for him, he would have to use the 1st poma after you come off the chair, and, unless it has changed in recent years (not been up for a couple) I recall it had a right fast pull at the beginning and could take you off the ground a bit - I don't think he could cope with that at present.

I'm starting to be keen on booking Italy and then doing an odd day trip Easter/later in season to the Scottish resorts - money? Ah you only live once! (better get selling on Ebay!). At this rate, by the time I make up my mind, it'll probably be a couple of days before anyway!
latest report
You'll have more chance of understanding the locals if you go to Italy.... Even if you don't speak Italian Laughing
ski holidays
On a serious note, if the extra few hundred quid is not a big issue financially to you then in your circumstances Id probably go with Italy. Partially as its more an opverall experience of getting away, for the kids as well (even if it is a pain in the a55 lugging kids round airports!0. Plus you live in Glasgow so doing Cairngorm is easily achievable for a short break or weekend.

Im keen to give Scottish ski resorts a go but I'm not sure I'd risk booking a whole family week. I know weather & snow is always a risk wherever you go, and indeed Scotland has had some great snow this season, but be a gutter to get a week of high winds and the resort be closed half the time.

Rightly or wrongly I still see scotland as a check the weather do last minute kind of resort.
latest report
Gazzza, Yeah the more I read the replies, the more I'm thinking this. If we do go to Cairngorm, we need to look at it from a different angle and to get good skiing in would be a bonus. Financially? Can't afford either! My reasoning is I won't be able to do when he is in school! Selling our condo in Fernie, maybe the funds will be going to pay off ski hols rather than mortgage!! OOps!

Great thread, thanks for all the replies.
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:
I have an office in Italy and two offices in Scotland, so I'm keeping well out of this one, as I "know" what the reaction would be if someone gave an in depth and honest answer. wink

All I'll say is that where ever you end up I hope you have a good time.

LOL, I'm guessing Italy! Razz

Joanne Mountainsun, I think it would be fair to say there's a difference between blatantly trying to sell a holiday to someone and offering them advice, however biased we might all be for our individual reasons. Great company, great people great chalets (well the Tignes one is so I presume it's the same elsewhere) but please not every thread asking for holiday advice is an opportunity for selling one of your holidays! rolling eyes
Gilly28 wrote:
roga, Thanks for the info, will give the ski school a call. He did spend a week in the Piou Piou club in Morzine and his experience was similar to your daughters, his skiing came on great, but he didn't seem overly excited about it, he was all smiles when out in the snow garden skiing, but he wasn't running in with a spring in his step, but he did say he enjoyed it, it was hard to tell as he was tired as well, but he was the only english speaking kid in his group. If we go to Italy, he may have to have private, as at present they don't have a class for his age that week - obviously not got enough kids to run a class yet.

It is very difficult at that age to work out what exactly they'd be best with so best of luck with your decision Toofy Grin
Gazzza wrote:
You'll have more chance of understanding the locals if you go to Italy.... Even if you don't speak Italian Laughing

Gilly28 lives in Glasgow so I'm sure language won't be an issue, at least for Gilly28 Wink
snow conditions
Hi,

Me again! Anyone know what Livigno is like?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy