Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Weather so far

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if this is a dumb question. We're thinking of skiing in Easter 2012 but looking at some of the Austrain Webcams conditions already look dire with snow only on the Pistes (green fields at village level). Has this year been particularly dire?

Pete
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes (since january)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Across much of the Alps. Worse in Northern French Alps. It's been very good in parts of Italy.

None of that is of course in any way an indication of how the weather patterns may look next winter in the Alps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We got back from austria on saturday, went to postalm and were hoping to go to gosau at the end of the week but didnt as conditions were not good at gosau. While we were there the snow they had was great and they kept it in great condition, it snowed a few cm every night but not much, just a dusting.

Looking at the webcams of where we went, there are big puddles dotted aroound the place, looks like we went in the right week!

Ive definatly been converted to austria, people are friendly, they keep the pistes in great nick and the lift etc are top of the range!

It was getting hotter and hotter each day which made for interesting skiing in the afternoons! Icy in the shade and slush in the sun, i enjuoyed it though, kept me on my toes! At one point just having my ski jacket on was too hot!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PeteMan, where in Austria are you looking? Some places are more snow sure than others!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PeteMan,

Some more snow coming over the weekend and snow levels are still OK higher up.

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
PeteMan, where in Austria are you looking? Some places are more snow sure than others!!

I've been sampling a few Webcams this morning, St Anton / Lech, Niedrau, Serfaus, St Johann in tirol, all looking very green. Perhaps my expectation of snow at resort level is over optimistic?

If I go to Lech I want it to look like this...

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/vnoffice/data/0/0/4/73/Lech_Nacht_Weihnachten.jpg

Not like this...

http://www.lech-zuers.at/xxl/_lang/en/_season/at2/_area/585621/_subArea/585774/_camID/25/_inc/live-camera/index.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is some snow suppose to come in next few days, but... Otherwise this year was crappy. There was no much of snow on first place, but at least temperatures were ok in December and first week of January, so ski places got their supply of men made snow. But after first week of January temperatures went up, and to be honest, I don't remember it would be much colder then 0 to -5c during nights since then. So with day temperatures way above 0 (+10 or even +15c was not so unusual), you can imagine how things look like around here... especially on lower altitude places.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PeteMan wrote:
kitenski wrote:

I've been sampling a few Webcams this morning, St Anton / Lech, Niedrau, Serfaus, St Johann in tirol, all looking very green. Perhaps my expectation of snow at resort level is over optimistic?

Not like this...

http://www.lech-zuers.at/xxl/_lang/en/_season/at2/_area/585621/_subArea/585774/_camID/25/_inc/live-camera/index.html

Looks fine to me, snow on the roofs, on the piste, unless you want to ski on the roads! Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
korgscrew wrote:
PeteMan wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Not like this...

Looks fine to me, snow on the roofs, on the piste, unless you want to ski on the roads! Confused

Ambience not slushy roads is what I want!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PeteMan wrote:
korgscrew wrote:
PeteMan wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Not like this...

Ambience not slushy roads is what I want!

My apologies! Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PeteMan, Lech/St Anton should be fine! If you have never skied at Easter that's what you will get little/no snow in the village/on the roads, potential of some fresh snow, but also nice long days, warm sun, and nice spring snow!!

If you want it to look like your first link, then you'll have to follow a storm!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This years been crap, as said above. January was super warm, and ruined the base.

Saying that, in most places you're still unlikely to have much snow in resort at Easter - the villages are (usually) genuine villages that were there before the skiing, and so are often right down in the valley. Guess you have to decide whether a pretty old village has more ambience than a higher altitude ski factory with a dusting of snow...

Of course it is possible to have snow/get snow at Easter, and it is fairly common to get new snow - it is unlikely that it'd stick around in the village for long at that time of year though. I'd still be expecting to ski down to the village in most places though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, I have to disagree - it has not been crap all over - it is an average season in my experience. We just felt it was going to be a mega one when we had such massive dumps in November and December. As a result I think many of us are disappointed, but I suppose we can't have mega snow every year it would get boring wink

I skied the Sportwelt Amadé region during the last 10 days of January and we had massive snow. The couple of weeks before the temperatures were milder than usual for January but certainly not "super warm" as you put it, just not as cold as we would normally expect. February was mild and dry at times, the drought being more of a problem than anything else. So far March has been a wee bit too warm, but also not unusally so. We seem to be heading for a cold snap right now with snow forecast for the end of the week and the weekend.

I've experienced a lot worse in the way of mild winters and no snow - 2006/7 was a terrible season according to some, but we were comparing against one of the best winters of any centuary (2005/6). The worst I've known was 1988/89 when we were trying to teach on nursery slopes that were diminishing in size at a horribly fast visible rate and there were more flowers than snow at the end of each day! And that was in early March Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samerberg Sue, Fair enough, maybe I'm being a bit too general, but it's not my experience of the places I've been skiing (all in Tirol since Christmas week though). I think it's fair to say bases are minimal in a lot of places right now, and for much of January the temperatures at the top of Nordkette (2300 metres) were around 10 decrees C... My gf says where she lives (basically by the top of the Hungerburgbahn in Innsbruck?) has been around 20 degrees C the last few days.

Crap might be too strong a word too, there's still plenty of fun skiing around, but IME this season has been 'worse than usual.' Probably not helped by the fact I've missed every powder day since November though Evil or Very Mad

I remember the 07 one, but I was only skiing one week a year then. Westendorf was pretty dry... As for the 88/89 season, I don't remember much of it lol, being born that November!
latest report
clarky999,

Quote:
As for the 88/89 season, I don't remember much of it lol, being born that November!

That's the trouble with you "newbies" - no real depth of experience Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
wink
snow conditions
We were in Obergurgl last week (came back 21 March) and we had some serious snow dumping which lead to a not too brilliant week for us, but for those there this week the conditions will be fabulous.
snow conditions
Lovely, warm and sunny in Innsbruck today, naked sunbathing makes uni work much more bearable wink

Lots of sources (including some random Bavarian on the train form Munich, when he saw my skis) seem to agree it's gonna snow this weekend too Twisted Evil
latest report
clarky999, You're quite right; after a promising start, this season has generally been warmer and drier than most. However next season could be entirely different - at risk of stating the obvious, it's all down to the prevailing wind direction and how many stubborn anticyclones come along. On a positive note, advancements in piste maintenance and snow-making technology enable them to keep open pistes that would have been closed 20 years ago
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy