Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift passes/equipment hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is it better (read cheaper!) to hire the equipment/buy lift passes in the resort separately to any package you might buy? And if so, is it better to book the equipment in advance? Was a bit worried they might run out, and we were going to do a last minute booking at the end of January ...

Many thanks.

Hannah
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hannah, at the end of Jan you should be fine in almost any resort, it's usually cheaper in the resort unless the exchange rate changes dramatically the only time that it might get busy would be the last two weeks in February
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hannah, a lot depends on where and who with. Operators will get a discount on bulk purchase on lift passes, and usually have some relationship with the ski hire companies...but sometimes these benefits don't get passed on to the customer!!

If you are expecting to be shipped into resort on a busy transfer bus, then often sorting out your own stuff is easier....ie you're not waiting in a queue with 120 other people to get gear fitted. I have no experience of booking equipment in advance, but if you know what you want, then I guess it can't hurt?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've booked in advance (directly with the shop) several times in Canada and USA, because there's usually a modest discount for doing so. I don't think it makes much difference; you still have to go through the whole business of choosing, setting (obviuously) and filling in forms, and I didn't have the impression that they'd put kit aside for us (even when we'd specified size and type of ski). Never any problem in getting what we wanted 'though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Consider buying the lift pass online in advance. You may be able to upload a digital photo, saving on the cost/hassle of getting a passport photo.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
neilswingler, I second that saves almost invariably large queues.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've never had to queue for a lift pass, well not more than a minute anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some T.O.s dish them out on the transfer coach or process them in bulk and deliver to your hotel/chalet. The hotel in Belle Plagne sold lift passes at reception. Sheer Luxury
OTOH the nearest ski hire place was mobbed with the queue out the door. Advance booking wouldn't have made any difference. Can't win 'em all. There's no definitive answer to Hannah's question but availability should be fine unless you want something a bit special. {If the snow is bad, the rental places are not going to let their brand new high end kit out to be wrecked.}
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pete Horn, that's the point! But if you've ever gone with a tour op, you might have waited hours for it to be delivered wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hannah, No-one will run out of equipment, and getting your own in resort will probably result in better quality for the same price. The TOs insist on large discounts from the shops, so the shops are sending the equipment out for less. If you were a shop would you take as much care etc. in those circs? I can't see any evidence that TOs pass these discounts on to their customers - that's partly how they make up for selling holidays so cheaply.

Liftpasses are ideally bought online, and many resorts now do this. You may even get a small discount for buying online. If you're booking within a couple of weeks of departure though, it's better to collect it in resort in case there are any postal problems.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just don't go at peak times for the Lift pass.
I always trawl around shops to get the skis I want so TO's aren't any good here for me. And I don't generally go packaged anyway.

But crashing the TO's welcome parties is a good idea sometimes, it sets the holiday up and you get to see who is about...!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hannah, you book, ask for recommendations on what shop to use. Almost certainly someone will have an inside track. Quality, as you'd imagine, varies immensely.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy