Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski instruction DVD?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Forgive me if there's already a thread on this, but can anyone recommend a particular ski instruction DVD or set of DVDs, for an intermediate / advanced intermediate?

The Warren Smith ones are the obvious choice, were it not for the fact that there are 4 of them at 16 quid a pop. Also, I can't help wondering whether their popularity with Brits stems from the fact that they are British DVDs - there must surely be quality US / Canadian / European (in English, or French at a push) equivalents?

There's also the Phil Smith / Snoworks DVDs, the Ski Club GB ones , the Performance Unlimited one and the Pockit Instructor one.

A quick internet tour highlights the DVDs of the people who post most freebies on YouTube and/or have the best publicity machines - Sofa Ski School, Your Ski Coach, Harald Harb (and Warren Smith again) - but I appreciate it doesn't follow that theirs are the best DVDs.

Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitren2005, have a look at Rick Schnellmann's DVDs here - http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Ski_Instruction_DVD_Video.html

They are very good if you are disciplined enough to work at the drills and go through them systematically. Very clear demos and explanations. They're not the most exciting DVDs in the world - I've got a Phil Smith one which mostly shows Phil Smith doing very fancy stuff very brilliantly, with lots of banging music. But there's SFA in the way of explanation of how to get from where I am to where Phil Smith is!

Rick's DVDs go from intermediate up to more advanced than most of us are likely to get, and their approach means they're good to use without an instructor. But sessions with a real live instructor are still indispensable, obviously.

I think the Warren Smith ones are good too - certainly better than the Phil Smith one I've got - but for solid work on your own, I'd go for Your Ski Coach. Not cheap, but good value.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitren2005, it would be best if you could 'demo' as many examples as possible on YouTube etc first. As with instructors in person, so with DVDs, I think you've got to be able to get on with the style of the person in question. There are perfectly good DVDs which I simply can't use, because I can't get on with the presentation for one reason or another - too American, too jazzy, too hung up on the physics/maths, too long-winded, whatever quirk it might be. But these things are very subjective/personal.

One relevant point, perhaps: if you've actually worked with the instructor or organisation in question ie done a course with them and derived benefit from it, it makes some sense to buy their product, because you'll be familiar with their vocabulary, style and method of teaching.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like Sofa Ski School by Klaus Mair - helped me!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a couple of the Warren Smith vids - lots of good tips and drills and I happen to like his particular style of skiing (wide forward stance and emphasis on actively working the inside ski in the turn)
I also have one of Phil Smith's vids - quite good too, but less focused than Warren's. Gives a good overview of the various basic turning techniques eg. pure carving, pressure turns, jump turns, scraping etc.

Harald Harb is a bit too offbeat/eccentric for me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

a good overview of the various basic turning techniques eg. pure carving, pressure turns, jump turns, scraping etc.

that sounds like the one I've got - does very little to actually break down the skills you need to get those turns right. I think his videos try to cover too much.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for your suggestions. I think I'll probably get the first Warren Smith DVD, see whether I like it and take it from there. I'm not sure I have the patience (or the bank balance) for the Your Ski Coach stuff.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have Warren Smith's Ski Academy; Harald Harb's New Way to Ski; Lito's Breakthrough on Skis; Martin Heckleman's Ski Tips.

Personally, I like Martin Hecklemen and Lito's DVD, easy to understand.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
someone must have a youtube "must watch" list
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No contest - the new Ski Better with Ali Ross DVD. Here's why:

1. It's the only DVD that's designed as a five-day skiing course which you actually take on holiday with you and follow a lesson each day, as opposed to a series of tips and techniques which the other (many very good) DVDs consist of. It's designed to get you off that frustrating "intermediate plateau" on which so many skiers are stuck in five days.
2. It's the only how-to-ski DVD which also has an iPhone App attached to it, so you can follow alesson in your apartment/hotel room/chalet and then take the course out onto the slopes with you.

For more details, log on to www.SkiBetterwithAli.co.uk

Roger Corke

PS. I need to declare a slight interest here...I made it with Ali but I still wouldn't leave on a skiing holiday without it. I used to be one of thoe intermediate plateau skiers until I came across Ali Ross.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would give a plus 5 to Sofa ski school. I found it really useful especially watching it in the weeks leading up to a trip, subsequently a fair few members of our ski group have invested in copies and can't recommend it enough.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Posting no longer valid

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 17-12-11 22:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
posting no longer valid

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 17-12-11 22:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've seen a few previews of DVD's on youtube that looked pretty good. Think its a great idea if you have a chance to put things into practice regularly but I ski only once a year (bar SnoZone!) and I find it tough to replicate and practice drills in a 15 second ski
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy