Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 10,000 hour rule

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
fatbob wrote:
I think natural talent is far more relevant to sports.

I don't agree. There are plenty of "trademen" who despite doing the hours will never be really good at their trade or profession. They don't have the natural talent.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Talent or laziness/lack of motivation to improve/trade off for "good enough"? Trades and professions are all about maximising your return per unit of work not perfection.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
I think natural talent is far more relevant to sports

One of the chapter in Syed's book is an attempt (pretty well done in my view) to debunk the "natural talent " argument - he debates "what is natural talent anyway" and it is a good debate

He puts the lots of hours, focussed practice, and an important "coach" or similar.

In debunking the talent myth, he talks about thePlgar family. The 3 polgar daughters are world champion chess players, and not only that, they have excelled even against teh top men ches players. Mr Polgar also wanted to debunk the talent myth - so he sought out a suitor, and eventually met a female colleague and persuaded her to marry him, and bring up a family with the intention of making them world beaters in some activity; they chose chess -NOTE,i said they CHOSE chess, Pogar and his wife were not chess experts by any long shot - that was exectly why they chose it. He started his daughtersoff very early, specifically to get the 10,00 (or whaetever number it is) started as soon as possible. The results are extraordinary. A good read.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sev112, I don't know the Polgar story but did the parents have some sort of intellectual/academic leanings/high IQs? To be neutral did he and his wife adopt the kids from separate orphanages? While I absolutely don't believe training is not very important I find it hard to believe that the existence of sporting families and/or successful multisport athletes isn't indicative of some sort of genetic advantage even if its only manifest in pure physical attributes/reflexes etc. How did the Neville family produce 3 England internationals - pure hothousing alone?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob,
Yeah, theres something in that - they were intellectuals with high IQs, but i wouldnt use me as the authority on it Smile But it is an extremely interesting point - is it talent, or just focussed hot housing from a young age by a knwoeldgeable coach - i think Syed's view is that what POlgar Snr provided was the focus on the coaching.

Anyway, good debate Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sev112,
Quote:

One of the chapter in Syed's book is an attempt (pretty well done in my view) to debunk the "natural talent " argument - he debates "what is natural talent anyway" and it is a good debate

I have not read the book, but have read him argue the same thing in a magazine article, I have to say I was wholly unconvinced by his argument, it was polemical and lacking any scientific thought IMO.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For me, it just seems like we can boil it down to "practise a lot to be better at stuff" - genetics provides a base to improve on and the curve on which you'll improve. Random numbers of hours or amounts of focus are more than a bit silly - for a start, it depends on the size of the field you're competing in.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy