Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Tornado Ti - alternatives

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - just back from a week's skiing on my new Salomon Tornados. These are a great ski, aggressive and love to be pushed ... and there lies the problem!! At 50-odd years old and with only a few years experience under my belt, I've had to accept that I'm not, and never will be, Bodie Miller, and I can't fly around at 70 mph leaving the mrs to catch up eventually! Although I had great fun with these skis, I think I may have bought too advanced and would be better with something a little more forgiving. I skied a perfect run on the second day, precise, fast and exhilarating, but then stood up, caught an edge and bang - ended up 50 metres down the piste with a very fuzzy head!! This taught me that I had to rein myself in a bit, but these skis don't seem to like that type of skiing. I honestly can't fault the skis, it's definitely my ability that held them back.

For info - my ideal skiing is mainly piste based, nice wide carving, bit of shorter turning, like to get off piste a little bit but still inexperienced on that front. The mrs skis on Burnin Luvs and these were ideal for what we were doing. Is there a male equivalent that anyone knows of? I did try the Fischer Wateas at the Chill Factor and enjoyed these skis, but went for the Tornados because I'm a bloke and think I'm better than I am, and wanted to go as fast as possible ... but the reality is I'm over 50, new-ish to skiing and sometimes quite like to take in a view. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try the Apache Ranger from K2, sounds like it may be just the Ski for you. Its forgiving a little soft and easy on the turn. Its described as an all mountain Ski. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
reno, instead of a new pair of skis, try some lessons / coaching & you may find that with improved balance and edge control, you get on top of the Tornadoes, which, after all, are all round skis, not mega stiff race ones.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
K2 AMP Rictor...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could try what gra says, or you could try the standard Tornado (without the metal - do they still make those? I'm not too up on piste skis).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
reno, I agree with gra, keep them and get some lessons with the money you will save from not selling them. You can catch an edge on any ski. The skiing you have described is what the tornado is built for, your skiing will grow into them, Skiing slowly well is more difficult than fast skiing. Take them off ebay??? and keep them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
reno, I might also be tempted to suggest stick with them and get a couple of lessons. I am back from my third full week on a set of Magfire 78 Ti's. I am a nervous intermediate, and after the first day on the Mags nearly went to the hire shop and demanded some softer skis for the rest of the week. However, I got cross with them, survived a week, survived a second week, had lessons in the third week on them and now have found how well they can ski. They still don't take any prisoners - which makes me ski 'properly' and they are quite capable of upending me if I don't pay attention, but they are far better skis than my previously softer set, esp. in slush and soft snow and they are predictably firm and solid when I am looking for reliable grip on hardpacked and sheer stuff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the advice (gra/Carroz) your right, Have not had a lesson for some time. and apart from catching that edge, thay really did hold well on crud and ice and when they were on edges it was a joy Little Angel i guess i got a little spooked Shocked Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
reno, don't ditch the skis, i've had a play with these for a day or two and they were great when being pushed but were equally fine when just playing at low speed when skiing with my friend and his little kids.

you can catch an edge on any ski and if new to you, it's easy to blame the ski
They are perhaps a tad wider than others you may have used but probably not enough to make much difference.
Definitely worth having some lessons on your new skis to brush up on your technique
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy