Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Icy boilerplate versus slushy porridge

Poster: A snowHead
boilerplate = SKIS

SLUSH = Snowboard
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
ChrisWo wrote:
Skis together, sit slightly back, and point downhill! !).

Err no! ski normally, balanced weight, DON'T sit back!!

I was expecting that! (what took you wink )

Honestly though, is leaning slightly further back than usual really that bad news in slush? On decent length skis I don't see that it dramatically reduces the control surface available to me, and keeping the tips up a little keeps them out of trouble. Maybe if I had rockered skis I'd think differently...

But then to be fair I'm not claiming my technique is perfect (sadly some way from being true rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ChrisWo, you might want to use the tips to turn with though wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ChrisWo wrote:
[Honestly though, is leaning slightly further back than usual really that bad news in slush? On decent length skis I don't see that it dramatically reduces the control surface available to me, and keeping the tips up a little keeps them out of trouble. Maybe if I had rockered skis I'd think differently...

But then to be fair I'm not claiming my technique is perfect (sadly some way from being true rolling eyes )

Err yes, it's bad for your knees, and your control!! You can use the tips to drive thru the slush, once a ski is on edge, it's going to take something like a rock to knock it off, not a bit of slush....

Over to those more technically minded than me to explain better!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:

Err yes, it's bad for your knees, and your control!!

The control thing I might be prepared to accept, but I'm not convinced about the knees. I have slightly dodgy knees and over a fair bit of experience of skiing slush I've found weight slightly back to be the most comfortable position. Possibly it's higher risk (I'd guess a bigger impact if things go wrong), but I'm pretty sure it involves less jarring than skiing with my weight forwards

I'll agree that putting your skis on edge and carving through slush works a dream though...possibly I'm not good enough (/too lazy) to carve down many pistes when they're very slushy. For me I think it runs somethinglike

carving > weight further back > non-carved turns in correct stance

clarky999, is that what they're for?! I've always found my tails to be a reasonable substitute Blush
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ChrisWo, Very bad news in my limited experience. This year has been a great learning curve, boilerplate in the morning, slush in the afternoon. My view was the same as yours, this year though our lesson group had a fantastic instructor, who in the first season had ripped our outdated techniques to bits and rebuilt them.
Always feel slight(that's NOT bruising force, slight) pressure on your shins. The ski tips do ALL the lifting work for you, that is why they are shaped like that after all wink
My skis are Head Ipeak 74's(all mountain) bit of width at the front and back, not heavy at all, good edges as they are new and my first time on them on a mountain. Our total change of technique totally transformed my skiing on all 3 forms(boilerplate, slush and good old knee deep stuff). I would now totally advocate keeping your weight in a slightly forward and no more than neutral position. Unless you need to hit Mach 2 snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back on tread piste for a minute,
I enjoy all sorts, if pushed I'd have to go with a light slush over boiler plate. But as explained above no real issues with either
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ChrisWo wrote:

clarky999, is that what they're for?! I've always found my tails to be a reasonable substitute Blush

Aye, use the shape of the skis to help you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, thanks to this thread and its posters (thank you!) I asked for all mountain skis last week, rather than carvers (and was given a pair of 2012 Head 78s). For the first half hour I reckon I found it harder to get my edges to grip than normally. But when it softened, how they floated in the slush and powered through it.

I love slush. I do prefer my moguls icy to slushy though, much less hard work (if less comfortable on the knees).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett wrote:
boilerplate = SKIS

SLUSH = Snowboard

This.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boilerplate = lie in until the sun gets on it and my head clears

Slush = snowboard
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
either, it's all snow and for 1 week per year I'm not going to whinge, just ski what you see!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In my older days of skiing, I twist my skis and skid a lot. It works on boilerplate alright though. The skidding eventually slow me down. Wink

But skidding doesn't happen at all in heavy porridge!!! So I had a heck of a hard time with them. Until I learned I should just point the ski down hill more! Smile And resisting the twisting habit came eventually. Now, I can ski them quite comfortably.

I still skid a bit on really hard piste. Am working on that one...

Oh yeah, Skis matter too. A wider skis are more stable in the uneven spring snow. But on hardpack, the narrower the ski, the easier to apply edge pressure ==> better grip.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
But skidding doesn't happen at all in heavy porridge!!! So I had a heck of a hard time with them. Until I learned I should just point the ski down hill more! Smile And resisting the twisting habit came eventually. Now, I can ski them quite comfortably.

Yup the people getting tripped and pwned by twist and heel push their turns which they get away with on normal groomed piste. It's the edge change that does it, if they rolled their skis over (or changed edges in the air which is sometimes needed) they would be ok.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, narc, that must be my problem then. I have no problems with icy hardpack but I struggle to move in slush. I must be a 'skidder'! Laughing
ski holidays
Slush please - I actually like the stuff so long as it isn't really sticky as well. You really feel like you are on rails. However if you are used to skidding your turns you may have problems.
Don't let your weight go back (unless it is really, really sticky and you can't go forward otherwise) and don't pedal (as someone else suggested) - you need to keep pressure roughly the same on both skis.

I hate ice but this is probably partly because I don't have piste skis. On an icy piste if there are piles of loose snow I always turn in them which gives much better control - I can't understand why people keep turning on the polished bits.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Slush please - I actually like the stuff so long as it isn't really sticky as well. ....

It's the sticky patches which seem to exist for no apparent reason that are the real bugbear for me. One moment I'll be sailing though the slush with abandon, the next moment the skis are grabbed so hard I could almost feel I was stating a face plant. Weird.
snow report
snowball wrote:
I can't understand why people keep turning on the polished bits.

Because they can. I would much rather ski ice than slush.
snow report
rjs, I wasn't meaning slushy loose snow - just loose stuff, or even a patch with a bit of texture to get a proper grip on.
latest report
snowball, I agree. I learned that trick at les Deux Alpes glacier when it was particularly foxes-mint like
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy