Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Uncommon Offpiste Skis - Reccomendations / Rental - Whitedot, Icelantic, ...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

I am thinking ahead to skis for next season. This season I have used a Salomon Tornado Ti 173cm for everything. For next season I want to get a dedicated piste ski and a mid-fat off piste ski. I have only had a small amount of off-piste experience, but even from the small amount of powder days we have had this season, off-piste is definitely something that I want to get into more next season.

My requirements for the off-piste ski are:
- Manage on the pistes when getting between off-piste areas, and also handle chopped up snow as well as powder.
- In general im swaying towards some of the smaller brands, and getting something a bit different, (as long as it does the job just as well).
- If it was suitable to do a bit of short day touring on it that would be a bonus as its something that definately appeals to me, but I wouldn't prioritise this over the other performance factors of the ski.

Some of the Skis that have caught my eye so far are (in order of preference):
- Whitedot Preacher
- Icelantic Shaman
- Volkl Gotama
- Volkl Mantra
- Armada JJ (not sure whether this is really what im looking for or not, just a friend mentioned it)

(I'm aware the last three may not be classified as uncommon, but would be interested in any opinions and how they compare to the whitedots / icelantics)

Firstly, does anyone know of anywhere in Tignes (or Val D'Isere) or Val Thorens, that might rent some of these smaller brands so I could try some of them out?

Also let me know if anyone has any other suggestions for an off-piste ski that might fit the bill.

Thanks in advance,
Matt.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitedot Director? Dynastar Sixth Sense Slicer, Rossi S3, Moment Tahoe, Ruby and Belafonte... Have fun geeking out with reviews wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get the Icelantic Keeper - then post back here with some in-depth reviews as soon as you can please!

Cheers!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A vote here for Icelantics. Just coming to the end of my first season on my E-Bay bargain Nomads, and I haven't stopped grinning since November Very Happy
I've ridden the Icey's in everything from knee deep powder to boilerplate ice and I've learned a lot about the ski's, and my skiing. All in all I love them.

The Nomads are amazingly versatile for a pretty big ski. I bought them at a 158 length which is exactly head-height on me (Tinyman!) and they measure up at around 110mm underfoot rather than the 105mm given. I'd ridden a demo pair in deep and light Colorado powder and they floated like a much longer ski so I wasn't worried about buying a freeride ski shorter than I would normally look for. This season they handled 30cm of wet porridge with real ease and none of the knee strain that I would normally associate with such heavy conditions. The big shovels give impressive lift and (according to my son) allowed me to get into a much better, weight-forward, position. That built my confidence and led to this season's big breakthrough - following the LT crazy-gang into the trees Laughing That's where the Nomads really showed what they could do, masses of float and stability then turning on a sixpence. I've still not got over the buzz of those magic hours.

On the critical side there's inevitably an on-piste price to pay for the width of the ski, though not half what I feared it might be. They handle most pisted slopes pretty well although there's that familiar lack of crispness and immediate feedback that you'd get with a piste-specific ski. I'm not sure how much this is the ski or the ski / binding combination as I've mounted Fritschi Freeride Pro's on the Nomads so that could account for some deadening? When the 3V's turned to ice a month or so ago I stopped using the Nomads after some exciting runs, although that was mainly about preserving the bases from stone damage rather than them being impossible to ski. Moving on-piste between descents is pretty relaxing compared to some other big skis I've ridden (4Front, Seths) and easily match the Mantra's that up until now have been the best I've used for all-mountain use.
The Icey's also have a very short radius for a big ski and this shape, and short length, means that when things get steep you start feeling a lack of edge. Not so bad when it's soft, but I wouldn't have the skill or bottle to take them down anything that was both steep and hard.

As I said at the start I'm hugely impressed by the Nomads. I put the Fritschi's on them but didn't invest in skins until I decided how much I like them. I'm now looking for skins and thinking about where to go looking for adventures next season.
Sreema you've obviously recognised that with any of the ski's you mention it's really important that you try them out before you commit. I hope that once you find the ones you want you are as happy as I am with your choice, especially if you can find them for £110 on E-Bay Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah I definitely would agree that I should try and demo some of them.

Do any Snowheads know of any places that rent / demo some of the smaller ski brands in Tignes / Val D'Isere / Val Thorens? (The places I will be for the rest of the season)

More Specifically, at the moment I am interested in the following:
- Whitedot Preacher
- Blizzard The One
- Icelantic Shaman
- Dynastar Sixth Sense Slicer
- Fischer Watea 98

Thanks in advance,
Matt.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OK - after spending 20 mins typing a post my laptop dropped wifi and ate the text - out of time now, will try later. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ask for some Rossignol 9s - they are traditional long standing off piste skis - you will love them Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sev112 wrote:
Ask for some Rossignol 9s - they are traditional long standing off piste skis - you will love them Smile

sev112 Toofy Grin . I had some of those a few years ago. If a Rossi Bandit is a canoe and some of those WhiteDot types are inflatable dinghies, the 9s's were submarines. Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 21-03-11 21:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross,

Deep ocean explorers Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The were doing very fine in the slush below 2000m this weekend though Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
right I'm going to try again, but this time in multiple posts incase it bloody happens again!!!!!

I know Ski Technic in VT stocks Whitedots, I'll find out for sreema if they have a demo fleet. There is a full time demo fleet in Chamonix if you fancy a drive.

I'll declare an interest in Whitedot (if it's not obvious) but also am a big fan of Icelantic.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sev112, the slush wouldn't have had a hope in hell, those planks weigh more than the average person on top of them. A perfect touring ski for masochists.

These were mine ... http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?5,file=2546

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 21-03-11 21:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sreema, you mention the Shaman & Preacher, I skied these back to back last week (184 & 189 repectively) and here are some impressions: Unlike the comments above on the Nomad both the Shaman & Preacher sacrifice liitle or nothing in on piste performance for their width. Off piste both skis float in a way that makes it feel like cheating whilst on piste their traditional camber and aggressive side cut mean they will carve in a way that embaresses many slimmer skis (in a hard carve the Preacher has a distinct edge [sic] over the Shaman, but the Shaman's narrower tail allows you to slide out a turn easier if you ski that way). Both skis are quality construction and have high rack appeal but in a very different style (so pay your money and take your choice).

On a day of jumping on and off the two skis I preferred the Preacher 99% of the time and only had a slight feeling that the extra tail flare on the Preacher occasionally made icy moguls feel harder work than on the Shamans (neither ski was tool of choice for such, but both handled it fine).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross,

Aha - the originals Smile

Mine are the nice black and gold ones from about 2003 (ish)

This weekennd, my colleague was raving about her lovely light Dynastars, whereas i was thinking exactly your thought about the positive aspects of those long lumps of steel in the middle of mine Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 mentions the Director, maybe as sreema mooted touring. Again I've recently skied the Director back to back with the Preacher & Shaman over two days.
If you have serious intentions to tour then the Director is the ski, it's lighter and narrower then the other two, and a good, not just viable (like the S & P), touring choice.
If you take touring out of the equation and just talk on/off piste:
In a foot of fresh in Italy last week - when accessing via an open and mostly untouched pow field there is no substitute for width (except maybe skill) and I was happiest on the Preacher, once into the trees (esp steeps) then the Director (188) made life easier with it's effortless swivelling turns. No turn however tight or steep felt beyond me and my lines around the trees tightened and my new(ish) helmet a googles took a right kicking as i pushed smaller branches out of the way. Float was available from all three skis but delivered in different ways as it is generated in differing ways.
On piste the Director's short effective edge means it will carve like a demon, but, it takes a little getting used to and ultimately the trad camber with big sidecut of the Preacher and Shaman have a familiar and comforting feel for an old timer like me when I'm hooning home after a day avoiding the crowds.
latest report
I've never skied the Nomad, but have only heard good things. It's more of a trad op ski, less turny than the Shaman or the Preacher, and way different to the Director. sreema, if you were interested in a bargain pair then I have a mate who want's to sell a barely skied pair of 168's mounted with Vists, drop me a pm. PS they live in Chamonix (the skis that is).
snow report
I have to put in votes for WhiteDot (which I preferred over the Icelantic Nomad and Shaman), Kevan Beane's RipNWud Skis in 74100 Ville La GRAND FRANCE (super nice guy, stop in and chat with him and take demo skis out), and I just rode the DPS Wailer 112RP and was very impressed. Demos can be had by contacting their websites!
snow report
My son has the Icelantic Nomads, I've got the Armada JJ's. We both love them and find both skis excellent on piste as well. We had both sets of skis mounted with Marker Barons and are very impressed with the edge control vs. the Frishschi Freerides we had on our previous skis. It's a bit heavier package but if you don't do lots of skinning it's fine. My 186 JJ's turn on a dime because of the rocker and the float is unreal. You've got to try a pair of rockered skis before you choose because it's here to stay and for good reason. We went through the same process you're going through now and ended up with these two great choices.
snow conditions
Hey matt,

Why aren't shoguns up there were they no fun Neh Neh

Theo
ski holidays
Haha Theo, the dream team can't all have the same skis! Plus ideally I want something that can rail on piste slightly more than a shogun if I'm going to be skiing in Europe predominantly.

Thanks very much for all the input guys, especially midgetbiker, your side by side comparisons of the Shaman vs Preacher vs Director is really useful. I had stopped getting the email alerts for updates on this thread, so I didn't even realise that so much information had built up, its really great! Thanks again.

I have been in contact with Ski Technic in VT about demo some preachers, unfortunately they are all sold out of 189's and only have 179's left, so I may demo a pair of the 179's just to give me a feel, then purchase the 189's online if I like the feel.

I will also check with Ski Technic if they have any Whitedot Directors available to demo. I am a bit wary of twin rockered skis after I tried the Salomon twenty twelves for a laugh one morning and the effective edge was so short combined with center mounting they felt like snowblades to me when on hardpack. What drew me initially to the preachers / shaman's was testing the Salomon BBR's and trying to finding a fat ski that can carve as solidly as the BBR's on piste but doesn't look like surfboards. However I won't judge the directors on this until I have given them a go, I agree that rocker has hit the market for a reason. The other question is: would be am I man enough to pull off a pink ski?
snow conditions
sreema, Ski Technic won't have a Director demo I'm afraid, they are like hens teeth. They may have a Redeemer if you want to try Whitedot's take on the twin rocker design.

By all means try the Preacher 179 to give you a feel for the ski, be aware the 189 has a larger turn radius and a stiffer construction so is a 'burlier' ski all round. My 189's just flattened the cut up slush at the tail end of the day in Courmayeur today, but the lady chasing me down on her 179's wasn't struggling either.

reading the above back it looks like I'm suggesting the 179 is a ladies ski, I'm not, I'm just making the point that the 2011 179 is a softer ski (probably more akin to the Shamans flex) whilst the 189 is stiffer.
ski holidays
Quote:

Ski Technic won't have a Director demo I'm afraid, they are like hens teeth.

There's a pair in my Workshop. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Infact, two. Toofy Grin
latest report
Cool thanks for the explanation midgetbiker. Although its dangerous buying without testing all of the skis in the category I may just have to bite the bullet and go for the preachers in 189 as from reading lots of reviews of the different options, the 189 preachers are definitely the ski i am coveting at this moment in time.

Its a shame I can't be more flexible about demo locations, but I have confidence I will definitely have fun if I plump for the preachers.

Thanks for you help all!
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Quote:

Ski Technic won't have a Director demo I'm afraid, they are like hens teeth.

There's a pair in my Workshop. Toofy Grin

And mine too Toofy Grin
snow report
sreema wrote:

Its a shame I can't be more flexible about demo locations, !

I'm sure they'll be doing some fridge demos this summer. wink (Please I'd like to try the Director)
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER & spyderjon, yes, but you two are 'special'.
snow report
sreema, I did what you're thinking about and bought the bullet after some snowHead research.

You. Will. Not. Regret. It.

They really are a fun ski. Even with the season we've had in the PDS they've been great fun. I love them on and off piste (189s). They can do anything and I love the way you can scrub and wash out a turn. It really has changed my style of skiing.

They're noticeably heavier than my Movement Sluffs and for the 1st few days my legs were tired at the end of a day but they're now my 1st choice.

Something else that isn't mentioned much is the base. I scraped down the side of a hill the other week and the whole way down was bricking it about the damage I was doing! The noises were gut churning but got to the bottom had a check and not a mark! Crazy!

My Mrs skis the 179s and isn't quite so blown away. Admittedly it's been a big jump up for her but I cannot recommend them enough. They genuinely make skiing fricking easy!

Enjoy Very Happy

PS. Forgot to mention an added bonus. They take the boredom out of lift rides cos everyone just wants to talk to you about them!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair enough, our needs are special, John is just special needs. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Agree with Will, changes how you ski for the better. I didn't MTFU and went for 179's but i'm not regretting that decision. The monster shovel gives plenty of float for my weight and i'm not likely to see many bottomless powder days. These skis rail groomers and were simply amazing in the afternoons, skiing slush was a joy. Buy, buy, buy!
snow report
Hey I am looking for new ski's as well and have the same requests as sreema/matt. Until now just lurking around.. I am Swiss based and ski a lot, different places, on/off piste. Right now I ski a 175 ARV and am looking for replacement and upgrade. The ARV's are super but not enough float. I will keep 'm as my bad condition/ice ski.

I am looking at the preachers, and read you guys raving about them. Might be able to get a good deal on them. Just the size. I am a woman, 177cm 80kg, strong skier, but not yet very experienced off-piste. Looking at the 179 preachers: how big are you and what size preacher you liked?
snow report
Hi skiester, I got a chance to demo the 179 Preachers while in Val Thorens (Due to snow conditions it was all on piste, hard in the morning and slush in the afternoon.) I am male, 178cm, 80Kg and a strong skier. If I was buying I would go for the 189 as when doing some high speed long carves I felt I could do with a bit more length for stability, however maybe it was also do with mounting position, as I think I like quite a lot of tip to drive through the turn. Email http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/ (the U.K. whitedot distributor), or whitedot themselves to get them to give you some more informed advice on what length would suit you. Both have been very helpful when I have sent them emails.

This was my first experience of a fat ski. I had read a lot of on-line reviews talking about how todays fat skis can rail big GS turns on piste. So it surprised me a little that yes they just about can, but it is quite a different experience, there were noticeable additional forces that the fatter ski exerted laterally on my leg in my boot, making it a bit harder work. The fact my current boots are too soft for me, and the rental bindings probably didn't help much in this department though. This is nothing to do specifically with the preacher and more of just a fat ski thing, but something worth bearing in mind when deciding exactly what it is you want.

I am hoping to try and demo some 2012 Line Prophet 98's and the Blizzard Bonafide (both 98mm underfoot and some form of early rise / rocker) next season to see if they still have noticeably increased lateral forces. Though as you already ski the ARV, perhaps these skis wouldn't be much of an upgrade.
ski holidays
Reading my post back I dont think I conveyed enough that I was very impressed with the preachers. They held an edge well and I could do a variety of turn shapes well in less than ideal piste conditions. I think that the 189 would suit my needs very well with its extra length.

It is just I found out that personally perhaps there is a thing as too fat a ski for me at this moment in time, so I am going to test a few more skis out first to see if something around the 100 underfoot mark exerts less lateral forces on my legs when on piste at higher edge angles, and therefore might fit my criteria slightly better.
snow report
Thanks for the input: I think i will still go for the 179: although we are size wise quite even, I know that men are usually stronger then women, even though people tend to tell me I am as strong as a guy Wink. I once skied the Atomic SX-B5 and they were just too much for me - I need flexibility. I am more used to fat ski's though as I also own megawatts in 188 but they are only for the really deep days. And I ski the softest boots around: touring boots, just in very soft and heavy days you have to be a bit more careful to ski balanced...

Another ski I am looking at is the new Armada TST, it is basically a JJ with a normal tail, so only tip rocker and a little slimmer underfoot. I think 102 underfoot, floats good enough and the few reviews I read - people were raving. I do like my present Armada's so that might just be the little bit extra float I need! Maybe also something for you to look at! And Armada, although being a bigger brand is still quite rare (compared to Salomon/Volkl etc)
snow report
skiester, I'm female and around your size and skied and loved the 179 Preacher. I would happily ski it as my everyday ski (unless it was rock hard ice when I try not to ski). I would only ski a longer ski for a pure powder ski when I would probably choose something rockered and softer but you sound like you've got that already with the Megawatts. Do you not fancy the VJJs, best ski name ever Wink
latest report
VJJ YAY! Shocked No it's just the JJ with different topsheet in the 175. The name I couldn't care less but I like a classic tail, not rockered... I am just a but worried about the size of the preachers: 112 or 115 underfoot? Seems so much compared to 92. Unfortunately no test ski's around here...
latest report
I ski 92 underfoot normally and didn't think the Preachers felt too fat, they have a really small turning radius so they still felt easy to turn. I wrote a review of them in this forum if you search back a bit.
ski holidays
I was pootling around Whistler on my 189 Preachers over the easter week/weekend and managed to get to ski them in just about every conceivable type of snow (in the space of just 6 days!). Have to say after a few tuning tweeks they worked really well just about everywhere.
They really do not ski like a 112 under foot, in fact in tight spots/bumps they are actually easier to manoeuvre than my 96 under foot Mantras (most likely because they are a bit softer with a little more sidecut). In the pow, crust, and spring snow though you get the full benefits of having a fatter ski.
They are pretty easy to rail on piste.
I shall probably use these as my everyday ski from now on with my Mantras, being a bit narrower, becoming a possible semi-touring option, and Redeemers for big powder days.
snow report
Spendy, 750USD, plus you would have to import from the US incurring imoprt duties but the Lhasa Pows by PM gear receive rave reviews on TGR to the point where if I had the money they are what I would buy. Also really like the look of the Moment Belafontes but again you're going to struggle to find them in this country.
ski holidays
Rambotion, one for you Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy