Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vin Chaud recipes

Poster: A snowHead
This year I had a great idea and took the spices to make Vin Chaud with me to France. 4 of us must have drunk at least a litre a day just at lunch and immediately at the end of the pm skiing.
I don't know if there is an official recipe but the one that worked for us is to add a tablespoon of honey to the wine & spices. It makes it really smooth. You can also add a shot of Dark Rum to the glass as it's served. Yummy but falling over juice. At 4 euros a glass on the mountain it was a good investment. The wine was only 3 euros for 1.5 litres in the supermarket. Any other good recipes?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Half litre bottle of vodka - take a very large swig to make some space
Smash up 2 packets of Werthers originals and add to vodka. Shake and leave for a couple of days to dissolve
Result - yummy toffee vodka for the hip flask!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks I've been wanting to make some toffee vodka. I've made pepper Vodka (8-10 black peppercorns to a bottle). Powerful stuff. After a week put it in the freezer overnight and then drink. It's a treacle like consistency but with a pepper kick.
Chilli vodka wasn't as successful. Tastes horrible. Should have taken seeds out and stalk off.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks mountain mad, been wondering how to make toffee vodka and now I know. Sounds ideal for the old hip flask.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ever tried Pickled Bear Hug? Add some chopped up ginger root and various spices to a bottle of bog-standard brandy (you wouldn't want to waste any good stuff). Shake the bottle occasionally and leave in a dark room to become more evil. Tastes terrible but I love the name.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In France they have these circular wooden bowl type things with little spouts coming out of them. Apparently you put coffee and fruit in the bowl with some Grappa or other alcohol and then pass it round like a peace pipe. Anyone got a good recipe for that? I bought a bowl 2 years back and I keep looking at it but have never tried it. rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Experiment, Michael B. Gotta be half the fun, surely Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Michael. This is Clement Freud's recipe for mulled wine / vin chaud / gluhwein which I've used for about 20 years. People really like it:

MULL MIXTURE
To 2 pints of water add one slightly rounded tablespoon each of ground clove and ground nutmeg, two tablespoons ground cinnamon, a coffeespoon of ground ginger, one cut-up lemon, one cut-up orange, and a pound of white sugar. simmer for hours. Strain through a cloth into bottles and store in a cool place. It stores for nearly ever.

To make MULLED WINE (10 decent sized glasses) heat to near boiling point:

2 or 3 tablespoons mull mixture (above)
1 bottle inexpensive red wine
4 oz sugar
1 bottle water

You can add brandy for a bit of kick.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can play around with the above by floating extra fruit in the mulled wine, which adds to the flavour.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How did Michael B chaud the vin at lunchtime? camping gaz?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Note on the toffee vodka - you have to shake it before drinking because of the sediment. (Is it still sediment if its at the top of the liquid?)
If you leave it on the balcony the sediment freezes and you can't get at the vodka - very traumatic!
So there are probably better recipes out there - but they involved time and effort whereas this recipe was very easy!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was really into the extremely wicked Jagertee made from 80% Straw Rum! One of those at about 3pm always made the trip down more relaxed.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Melt some Mars bars with milk... add vodka/brandy... both if youreally need to... then put in the fridge... mmmm luverly... but can get very sickly
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Angie (my significant other) developed a taste for Hot Chocolate with Baileys. Can't be doing with all this fancy nonsence when a large beer was only 2 euros in the hotel and my hipflask was full of Remy at the start of each day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter B, where was a large beer only 2 euros? Sounds like my sort of resort.
ski holidays
Julian Graves does the little bags of mulled wine spices, just add sugar & brandy to taste (or tolerance!!)
snow report
Went to Saalbach on 17th Jan. Large beer in he cellar bar at the Hotel Austria was 2 euros. I never lasted longer than the bar stayed open - one night was 4.20 am, and I left a group of 16 Welshmen singing hymns! They apparently went to bed at 6.15!!!
I week's half board was about 200 notes on a cancellation withPanorama holidays for the other guys with whom I shared a table.
ski holidays
Michael B wrote:
In France they have these circular wooden bowl type things with little spouts coming out of them. Apparently you put coffee and fruit in the bowl with some Grappa or other alcohol and then pass it round like a peace pipe. Anyone got a good recipe for that? I bought a bowl 2 years back and I keep looking at it but have never tried it. rolling eyes

It's called a Grolla - (not sure of the spelling) and hails from Italy and is also found in the French resorts close to the Italian border (though i may have spread). I first had it in a village call St Vincent in the Aosta Valley. Here's the way they did it:

Take one orange, spike it with cloves, place in the grolla. Make some very strong, fresh coffee. Heat a liberal quantity of Grappa and pour into Grolla. Fire it and make a big show of using the burning liquid to "sterilise" the spouts. Put it out. Pour in the coffee.

Taking the Grolla in both hands, block the spout each side of the one your are using with your thumbs (so much for sterilising!) and take a swig (try to keep the top of your head on). Pass the Grolla to your left, rotating it so that the next person take the next spout. He does the same, etc etc,

Walk out into the cold night air and fall over.
snow report
Quote:

He does the same, etc etc,

Are women prohibited form this ceremony then? Wink
snow report
rolling eyes The presence of the male pronoun in a context that is not gender specific implies either gender. Anything else (using he/she, for example) is, IMO, unnecessary PC BS
ski holidays
Thanks Davehk. I'll give that a go.
Alan re the vin chaud at lunch. We had to pick the kids up from ski school at lunch right by our apartment and as it was about minus 15 most days they were cold and we had to thaw them out inside. So Vin Chaud for us, hot choc for them.
David Goldsmith thanks for, as usual, a definitive answer to absolutely any question about any aspect of the sport.
Keep the subject going. More recipes for weird drinks please.
ski holidays
Michael. Bear in mind that the Clement Freud recipe uses tons of sugar and was written in the days when there was less concern about these things. It's best to play around with the sugar content yourself, to taste. But the fresh fruit is a really nice thing to include, because those ready-made mixes (which many people rely on) take the focus off the fruit.
latest report
There's a company (whose name escapes me) that makes Mulled Wine syrup - Sainsbury's sell it and it's easily as good as any Vin Chaud I've had in France. Just add 1 part to 8 parts wine and heat.
latest report
David- the sugar is fine when I am skiing!! I dunno about at home though.
Interestingly this year after the first days skiing I felt really ill. No energy (not just tired) and my body telling me I was doing things it didn't agree with and unless I got it sorted it was going to shut down. Anyway after that I had a Mars bar every am and pm and it stopped completely. I don't know if it was a bit of altitude sickness or just lack of calories but it was unpleasant.
In the Clement Freud recipe I was far more concerned about the amount of water!
ski holidays
Doublepostinitus

Where's a moderator when you need one?
latest report
Interesting point. Maybe hot wine acquires too strong a taste without dilution. Any views on that? Maybe it's time we organised a lab test.
snow report
Trying to work out why I got the double post. I clicked on "Back to the Forum" but it was v. slow so I refreshed. I also got a web page expired in there somewhere.

Back to the Vin Chaud a definitive test is required but under circumstances that all can contribute to whilst not being in the same place. Not as easy as it sounds. Personally the wine we heated was not too strong without dilution but I can see where other wines may be. Any wine that is too strong when heated is probably too good to heat in the first place.
ski holidays
Slowplough wrote:
Doublepostinitus

Where's a moderator when you need one?

Your wish, oh master Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A couple of vin chaud sunbathing at the end of the and you ski like a dervish on the way down. Who cares how its made. After a couple they all taste the same. Feel pretty crap about half an hour later though.

Grolla - disgusting!!!!
ski holidays
The Finnish version of vin chaud or gluwien is to add a bottle of vodka to the pot just before serving. Puts back all the alcohol you boiled off - and then some.
snow report
davehk wrote:
Michael B wrote:

It's called a Grolla - (not sure of the spelling) and hails from Italy and is also found in the French resorts close to the Italian border (though i may have spread). I first had it in a village call St Vincent in the Aosta Valley. Here's the way they did it:

Take one orange, spike it with cloves, place in the grolla. Make some very strong, fresh coffee. Heat a liberal quantity of Grappa and pour into Grolla. Fire it and make a big show of using the burning liquid to "sterilise" the spouts. Put it out. Pour in the coffee.

Taking the Grolla in both hands, block the spout each side of the one your are using with your thumbs (so much for sterilising!) and take a swig (try to keep the top of your head on). Pass the Grolla to your left, rotating it so that the next person take the next spout. He does the same, etc etc,

Walk out into the cold night air and fall over.

I first encountered it in the Valle d'Aosta (my sister lives in Courmayeur), but I think it's a Savoie(sp?) thing, abit like Raclettes and fondues (the Svaoie region took up the French/Italian/Swiss meeting area of the ALps (I think the Valle d'Aosta wanted to be part of France after WW2 due to its Savoie connections). That said the above dishes probably started in particular areas (Grolla in the Aosta region, perhaps) and spread around the region when they were all under one governance. That's my theory anyway, even though it's probably wrong.

Anyhoo, tradition has it with a Grolla, is that once you put yoiur lips to the spout, you have to take a sip, anyone baulking at this point pays for the Grolla. On the smaller pots you don't need to block the spouts either side, and you get one for your sole use.

They are also called "friendship pots" as you're unlikely to share them with someone you didn't altogether trust. NehNeh

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 12-02-04 18:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Mulled Wine and WATER! - Just say NO.

One orange, one lemon, cut in half & stud with cloves (loads). Use a good few cinnamon sticks & a smallish slice of ginger (powders give a residue).

Chuck in big pan with as much cheap wine as will fit in, simmer gently until the smell makes it impossible to wait any longer. Put in a big slug of the cheapest (clear) firewater you can find and that's it.

Serve with sugar on the table if ladies are present.

Yummy.

N.B. As a cheat, use a pre-made bottle, fruit juice 'n powders but don't skimp on the fire water. Confused
ski holidays
Mountain Mad. I made the toffee vodka as per your recipe. Yummee Madeye-Smiley
A definite addition to the already crowded choices of drink in the cupboard.
ski holidays
Glad you liked it... so yummy... might have to make some myself soon...
ski holidays
davehk wrote:
Michael B wrote:

It's called a Grolla - (not sure of the spelling) ....... Take one orange, spike it with cloves, place in the grolla. Make some very strong, fresh coffee. Heat a liberal quantity of Grappa and pour into Grolla. Fire it and make a big show of using the burning liquid to "sterilise" the spouts. Put it out. Pour in the coffee ..... Walk out into the cold night air and fall over.

That's it, also called a 'grolle' here in the Savoie... Get rid of the kid's stuff orange and replace with liberal quantity of orange liqueur, swop the grappa for marc de Savoie, and don't forget it needs plenty of sugar. Add some lemon/orange zest if you insist to make it look pretty... Smile
ski holidays
Coffee “alla Valdostana”

4 long espressos
½ ounce of génépy or other liquor such as rum, cognac or anisette
4 teaspoons of sugar
4 ounces of grappa
lemon and orange peels

Heat all the ingredients in a small pan until boiling point.
If you have the traditional grolla Friendship Cup sprinkle the edges of the wooden bowl with grappa and sugar. Pour the hot mixture from the pan into the bowl. Set fire to the alcohol fumes and stir until the sugar is burnt.

Place the cover on the grolla bowl, drink and pass it on as a sign of great friendship. Tradition dictates that you never interrupt the drinking round or the friendship will be broken. But remember, in a grolla or a glass, it’s a formidable beverage. Serves and creates four good friends. Thaks to slowplough for this one from a thread on the other place. Some other recipes there too, I can paste them in if you like, (with mentions for the posters of course. )
ski holidays
Seasonaires do a great toffee vodka,

* 1 mars bar chopped up and added to bottle of vodka.
* Screw lid on tightly.
* Put in dishwasher and run through wash cycle in chalet (if you don't have one
make friends with someone in another chalet!).
* Allow to cool.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy