Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sweden April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Never been to Sweden so thought I might visit this April, but wondered iff anyone has been and have any hints, what is the skiing like and price of lifts?

Also struggling how to get there from NW England. There used to be a airline that connected Gaithersburg and Stockholm to the sk resorts but it has gone bust i believe.

Any holiday companies out there?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neilson do Sweden and i think still in April.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richiavo wrote:
Neilson do Sweden and i think still in April.

Hia Richiavo thanks for reply Neilson only go from Heathrow to Sweden
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JuliePae wrote:
Never been to Sweden so thought I might visit this April, but wondered iff anyone has been and have any hints, what is the skiing like and price of lifts?

Also struggling how to get there from NW England. There used to be a airline that connected Gaithersburg and Stockholm to the sk resorts but it has gone bust i believe.

Any holiday companies out there?

Went to Are with the Wonder Child (#2 son) last February. It was ok and interesting to see how Sweden organises its skiing. Have to say that it does not compare well to Paradiski, Dolomiti or Canada.

Some quite challenging pistes, but comparatively short by alpine standards. It is also the home of the T-bar drag lift, some (very) long drags. We had skied it out in 3 days. The artic storm winds that closed the place were the coldest consitions I have ever been out in.

It is also eye-wateringly expensive.

Went with Neilson out of Heathrow - found the cabs at the airport refusing to take us to Richmond because we were carrying our skis to be very annoying (to the extent that I will never travel that way again, and would not wee on them if they were on fire).

PM if you a more reasoned (ie rant-free) evlauation of skiing in Are.

Ian
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow can be wet in April in Sweden. That was our experience when we skied Are in one Easter holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JuliePae, Hi, Normaly there is no problem with the snow even in late april in sweden, even if there is wet snow in the afternoons, the best skiing late seasons U have in Riksgränsen, http://www.stromma.se/en/Riksgransen/ the season ended mid june, and there can be powderdays in mid may, the best way to go there is to acces night train from Stockholm, And the train stop 200m from the hotel and skilifts,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just returned from a week in Are where it was unseasonably warm ie + temperatures. There was enough snow but it was Scottish ie wet. Many icy patches as it melted and froze. We were there for the WC mogul comp so only had a chance to ski the whole area one day - quite easy to get round it all in 1 day although its the biggest in Sweden! Many T bars as reported but I don't find that a problem. Prices are high and I would not rate it as somewhere to go just for the fun of it. I would stick with the big French resorts - much cheaper. We had a package SC to Avoriaz the previous week for the cost of the flight only to Are.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mogulski, Åre is the biggest skiresort in Sweden but not the best, its also the most expensive, I will make a list of the top resorts in Sweden when I have a little more time,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Horses for Courses, isn't it?
I also was in Are last week. (Hi mogulski, we likely crossed paths if you went with Neilson?)

Cons:
Yes it's expensive to eat and drink. We were in the Chalet though and took sandwiches to eat in the heated picnic cabins so that keep costs down.
There are a LOT of long t-bars but not really a problem.
I believe it can be properly cold/windy but the 2 times I've been to Sweden skiing (been to Vemdalen also), it's been fine -10 ish lowest.
Not much in the ways of challenges for the pro skiers amongst us.

Pros:
As an early intermediate skier keen on practising technique, it was great for me with plenty of wide reds and blues.
You can find pistes which you almost have entirely to yourself (reds at the back of Rodkullen.)
Swedish people are so NICE and they queue so politely, they chat to you as English people there are a novelty for them, no-one pushes in and everyone speaks perfect English.
Cafes/shacks/wigwams/tents set up by various clubs/charities/small enterprises up on the mountain selling hot drinks and cakes etc.
The scenery is beautiful.

Most in our chalet had been there before and came back repeatedly because of the ambience of the resort.
As freeheelskier says, train is easy in Sweden, you can book tickets in the UK and the tickets machines you pick them up from have an English language option. Are also had a train station. I believe there was a coach to Are that went from Stockholm too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Starshaped I didn't travel with Neilson just KLM and SAS flights then Tott hotel. Did you watch the moguls competition? I was the GBR judge.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy