Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you ski Slush?

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the other Slush thread how do you best ski slush? Is there more than one method? Carve? Skarve? Up/down movements? reduced edge angles? big GS turns? How do they differ from normal piste skiing?

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/27/sports/on-your-own-in-slushy-conditions-lift-and-swivel.html

http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big edge angles, high speeds, large grins.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I find I need to hit it with a positive attitude and plenty of Oomphhh!! I apply a decent amount of strength through my legs to help push the slushy lumps about. 'Pussy footing' with it doesn't seem to help. How does that sound?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
Big edge angles, high speeds, large grins.

You are singing my song Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, I learned (sort of ) how to do compression turns at the EoSB last year and was practising them in the slush - lumpy but not necessarily mogulled - quite a lot: they seemed to work very well, despite being pretty much the opposite of what you've posted. Any views? This indicates that they work well in powder too, so maybe they're good in slush, on the same principle?
http://sportales.com/sports/performing-compression-turns-in-powder/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[Devil's advocate]Why the big edge angles, aren't edges for hard pistes and in powder slush you use the bases more? What about when it's steeper and narrower or busy, won't you pick up too much speed?[/Devil's advocate]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, not too devilish, methinks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just my un-professional opinion (I'm no ski god, instructor or super gnarly).

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

a) If it's not too steep, busy or bumpy fast big carves are great. If your edge angles become "unparrallel" the slush could rip one ski off. More equal weighting of skis than for a hard piste. I'd expect the edge angles to be higher than slow speed skiing but lower than the equivalent GS turns on piste though as you use more of the ski base as opposed to just the edges.

b) If it's bumpy then skiing them as you would bumps is another way with feet togther and plenty of extension / retraction. Skis more equaly weighted than above.

c) If it's steep and tight controlled skarving (couloir) might work best. Much lower edge angles and planty of steering.

Of course different conditions are often experienced on the same slope so the different techniques are used as required.

What a beginner uses and what a gnarly skier uses might also differ. e.g. Ski gods can do big GS turns at speed on bumpy terrain with plenty of up down movement where a beginner would be digging herself/himself out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big edge angles because you can get away with it. Your skis will be in the soft/slushy snow more than when you are skiing a firm piste, so there's less chance of losing an edge and blowing out sideways. So you can ski big turns with big edge angles as well as small turns with big edge angles.

High speeds, usually feel more secure to me in slush than they do when skiing hardpack/boilerplate. High speeds + big edge angles = large grins. Only problem with this is that you sometimes get spattered by lumps of slush flicking up from the tips of your skis.

Quote:
compression turns ... they seemed to work very well, despite being pretty much the opposite of what you've posted. Any views?
They are not mutually exclusive. You can use a compression turn/avalement at any speed and in any snow conditions. Takes a lot of skill to do it at speed, but not impossible. However, for regular piste with slushy snow I don't think it is necessary to use a compression turn as you can power through the snow with as much oomph as you can manage.

Slushy bumps would be skied just the same as any kind of bumps, but perhaps with a bigger smile as they are a bit more forgiving that icy, mis-shapen lumps that too often bedevil our skiing.

If you need tight turns use lots of pressure, just like you would in powder.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh, OK, smiles all round then. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sometimes I like to bounce around feet together, dancing around/over/off lumps and bumps, sometimes I like to ski as per rob@rar and smash through the lumps and bumps.

Something I sometimes find with the latter approach, is that I over-estimate the speed I'll carry trhough a turn when the snow gets a bit sticky, and end up with my weight to far inside the turn for the speed, then having to put weight on the inside leg to keep balance, causing the outside ski to diverge off somewhere.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not very good at describing how I ski and I stongly suspect how I think I ski is not the same as how I do, but I find in slush on a lot of slopes you have to go on your edges otherwise you just slow down too much.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing slush is easy.

1. find a pub
2. take skis off
3. get raccooned.......................
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smokin Joe, Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Smokin Joe wrote:
Skiing slush is easy.

1. find a pub
2. take skis off
3. get raccooned.......................

Wot and be too hungover to enjoy the refrozen crud the next morning. Laughing
snow conditions
Probably a rob thing, but I agree with r@r. Slush means you can build up *big* platforms under your skis which gives you are very secure platform for high-speed long-radius turns. If the slush is *really* wet, it can become very sticky if the skis are flat keeping on the edge minimises the suction effect.

Just don't follow me through slush when I've my twin-tips on: you'll get soaked!
snow report
DB, Same as in the deep powder snow : skis not too far apart, except if you have fat skis, almost flat on the snow (not too much carving) medium and long radius, body weight equally on both your skis and the most important : ski fast. And it's also very funny!!!
ski holidays
agree with most of the above but it's also important to wax your skis more regularly as slush sucks them dry! Fat skis help, same as in the powder too
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy