Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis should I buy and what length?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dear Snowheads, I need your help.

I'm looking to buy a new set of skis. I currently have ten year old Atomic R92's 180cm. Everybody seems to be using shorter and wider skis these days.

I'm 5ft 9", I weigh eleven and a half stone and have about 25 weeks skiing experience - I'm SCGB Silver standard. Most of my skiing is on piste, although I do occasionlly go off-piste, indeed I have completed three SCGB Fresh Tracks off piste holidays. I like skiing moguls and therefore prefer light-weight flexible skis.

What ski would be best suited to my ability, and what length should I consider?

Thanks for your help.
Rick.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jellylegs, Sorry, I'm completely clueless about these things.. and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly but in the meantime, welcome to snowHeads
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jellylegs, next year's colour is pink. Top sheet fur is a good look.

Do you play golf?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some hire shops have a scheme where you can try out different skis. This is the best way to find out whether you love a ski and if they suit your style.
Alternatively, go to one of the try out events like Mondial du Ski and Rossignol do a tour each winter, maybe other makes do it too where you can try out their latest skis.
Don't discount buying a pair of last seasons skis. They are great value and may only differ in colour to the latest model.
www.mountainpassions.com
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Joolsy_M wrote:
Some hire shops have a scheme where you can try out different skis. This is the best way to find out whether you love a ski and if they suit your style.www.mountainpassions.com

Haven't got time for that! Come on Snowheads, give me some suggestions, and advice on length of ski to buy...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jellylegs, I have a pair of Rossignol FIS 9X in a 181 that you can have for € 200.

Go on, you know it makes sense....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jellylegs wrote:
Come on Snowheads, give me some suggestions, and advice on length of ski to buy...

You should get longish ones that are thick at one end, thinner in the middle and thicker again at the other end. Little Angel

How about these ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74903
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Schuss in Boots wrote:
.. and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly..

Apparently not... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jellylegs, I think that if you have been on the same skis for 10 years you should try a few different things by hiring and see what you get on with. You my also find that you need a bit of instruction to get the most from the newer skis, I know I did.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scott Mission 178cms twoseasons.co.uk sale at £360 until Sunday - just bought a set - fab ski and fab deal ...... only slight negative is the basic Scott NS10 binding ... but probably fine for you .... and me !!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go long and fat. Luxuriate in the length. As in, you can then just sit down when you feel a bit tired! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for Scott Missions. Before I (semi-)retired and started doing the whole season I had a very simlar profile to you - SCGB silver, Freshtracks Holidays, 25 weeks experience etc. I tried some Scott Missions when I first got here, bought some and never looked back. 4 years on and I now have a quiver of skis for different conditions, but if I had to go back to only having one pair I'd keep the Missions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy