Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Washing my ...

Poster: A snowHead
helmet tonight Toofy Grin Couldn't believe how dirty and smelly it had got. Did my gloves at the same time. The water was pretty disgusting looking. Just got to attack the bits of the helmet that can't be removed now with a brush. Deep joy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Place in washing machine with salopettes & jacket.
Set 'hand wash' cycle.
Set 30 degrees.
Set 'extra rinses'.
Set 'no spin'.
Bio tab.
Press go.

Simples. Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 8-03-11 21:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You should shower more often.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anyone know what might happen if I washed my boot liners ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bleached my gloves to kill the smell the other day but I went a bit strong and now have some tie die gloves.

Still I needed an excuse to buy some new ones.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross, I hope that's for the gloves and not for the helmet. I've seen lots of warnings that helmets should never be put in the washing machine as it will seriously degrade the impact protection/absorbing properties. At the end of the day I guess it's your call, tis only your noggin you're protecting. Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"Helmets should never be put in the washing machine, it will seriously degrade the impact protection/absorbing properties."

I'm not a materials scientist but I intuitively know that is wrong. Helmets routinely get soaked, routinely get significantly warmer than 30 degrees and are expected to withstand corrosion from acids and salts in human sweat and the detergents used in 'hand washing' them. A statement like "Helmets should never be put in the washing machine, it may seriously damage your expensive domestic appliance", may be true enough. Very Happy

However, if a chemist could explain how a gentle 20 minute swishing around in colder than blood temperature with a dilute detergent will 'seriously degrade' the same materials used by industry to make the containers that concentrated detergent and water mixes are sold to us in, I'd be fascinated. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 9-03-11 13:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am not going to comment on the possible degradation or otherwise of the helmet materials, but I think I'd be inclined to put the helmet inside some cushioning like actually tying it up inside a jacket washed at the same time as I would imagine there is a possibility for the surface to get cosmetically scratched and bumped which might be a shame as well as mentioned by moffatross, the possibility of the bumping damaging the drum of the machine!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helmets don't routinely become submersed in water though do they? Won't doing that ruin the "impact foamy bits".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://skihelmets.com/helmet_cleaning.asp
this what the suppliers reccomend
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, I agree. In my experience, the salopettes & ski jacket make for adequate 'cushioning'.

DB, if I'm skiing hard, skiing in high humidity (falling rain or snow) or on a warm, sunny day, all of the materials, including the 'impact foamy bits' are bathed in moisture. But, pretending that doesn't happen and (using a scientific explantion), I'd really like to understand how those 'impact foamy bits' could be damaged by washing them.

blockhead, there's no science there. They're helmet salespeople. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I dont know how i got involved here i dont even wear a helmet
just trying to help i suppose
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moffatross wrote:
[b][i] routinely get significantly warmer than 30 degrees

er, how? where?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John wrote:
moffatross wrote:
[b][i] routinely get significantly warmer than 30 degrees

er, how? where?

Blood temperature is around 37 degrees and the impact of sunshine on a helmet's surface (particularly a dark coloured one) will warm it to perhaps 60 or 70 degrees. Therefore the materials between head and helmet surface will warm to somewhere between the two.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

You're obviously not a real doctor

No poo-poo sherlock.

What we have here, folks, is a complete mix up between moffatross and myself os whether we're talking in celcius or fahrenhiet.....
snow report
DB wrote:
Helmets don't routinely become submersed in water though do they? Won't doing that ruin the "impact foamy bits".

My Sweet ski helmet is exactly the same as my Sweet kayaking helmet, apart from a name change and a goggle clip. The kayaking lids been going strong for 6+ years so far, although the water I usually end up paddling in is significantly colder than 30 degrees lol.
ski holidays
I don't think the temp or water would do anything, the detergent might though.
snow conditions
It's the bouncing around in the washing machine that will do the damsge - if you drop a motorbike helmet you should throw it away and I see no reason why the lighter, weaker ski helmet should be any different.
latest report
The bouncing around would do far more damage to the helmet than a light detergent would...unless I suppose you were to keep it in said mild detergent every night for about a decade. It's not all that strong of an alkali...
And then it would depend on what the helmet was made out of.
Argh. I'm supposed to be doing a lab report and now I'm trying to find out what Giro helmets are made out of so I could work out how to get them to react. There's procrastination for you.
latest report
In my machine, on a short 'handwash cycle' and with salopettes, gloves & a ski jacket in there too, the machine is rammed enough that the helmet does no 'bouncing around' whatsoever. And I admit it. I have a weird fascination with watching washing machines doing their stuff. Laughing
snow report
moffatross, jobs a good un then Smile
Apparently Giro helmets are made of polycarbonate. Looking at it, I doubt soap would do too much to it...
ski holidays
Quote:

the impact of sunshine on a helmet's surface (particularly a dark coloured one) will warm it to perhaps 60 or 70 degrees.

Aye, right! No chance. Puzzled

Lucky if it ever gets to 40°C, and frankly I'd be amazed at that.
snow report
stevomcd, yep, it was a best guess and not a very scientific one at that. But since 40°C is only just over body temperature and I'm sure you'll agree that the surface of a dark helmet left in the sun on the table over lunch in the Alps in March or April can get very warm, i.e. much warmer than your body temperature, your guess at a maximum 40°C is probably wrong too. Smile It is amazing how anal & contentious every helmet thread gets though isn't it. Laughing
snow conditions
moffatross, and anal helmet thread? I'm saying nowt.....
ski holidays
If you wear a buff or balaclava under your helmet they are far easier to wash - almost use them as a helmet liner- as well as stopping the bottoms of your ears and neck getting draughty you get to keep a clean helmet liner.
snow report
moffatross wrote:
DB, if I'm skiing hard, skiing in high humidity (falling rain or snow) or on a warm, sunny day, all of the materials, including the 'impact foamy bits' are bathed in moisture. But, pretending that doesn't happen and (using a scientific explantion), I'd really like to understand how those 'impact foamy bits' could be damaged by washing them.

Some things are splash proof, shower proof, water resitant, waterproof etc and some things are truly waterproof (can be immersed) - wasn't sure about the inside of a helmet.

Then again if helmets are truly waterproof won't wiping them with a cloth be enough as the dirt isn't ingrained?
snow conditions
moffatross,
Quote:

In my machine, on a short 'handwash cycle' and with salopettes, gloves & a ski jacket in there too, the machine is rammed enough that the helmet does no 'bouncing around' whatsoever. And I admit it. I have a weird fascination with watching washing machines doing their stuff.

It's your head! I don't wear a helmet myself, but, if I did, I'd want to ensure my helmet was going to protect me properly - http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=8031
ski holidays
Why would a helmet left out in a temperature of, say, 24 degrees (C) be bound to heat up to over 40 degrees? And even in April there is the wind chill factor (unless you have a nice, sheltered seat).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John wrote:
moffatross, an anal helmet thread? I'm saying nowt.....

Did you sign in to the wrong site? wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:
Why would a helmet left out in a temperature of, say, 24 degrees (C) be bound to heat up to over 40 degrees? And even in April there is the wind chill factor (unless you have a nice, sheltered seat).

Ghost Dog, well it wouldn't up a mountain in Scotland would it, I mean it hasn't reached 24C even in midsummer in Moffat since 2006. But it's cooking in the Alps in April ... I couldn't lean my bare arms on the balcony 2 Easters ago, it was that hot.
snow conditions
If helmets got that hot you wouldn't be able to wear them or take them off with your bear hands. It was 24 degrees C in Selva first week in April last season, I guarantee my helmet could not be used to cook eggs on.
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
helmet tonight

Have you got a Smeg washing machine ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ghost Dog wrote:
If helmets got that hot you wouldn't be able to wear them or take them off with your bear hands. It was 24 degrees C in Selva first week in April last season, I guarantee my helmet could not be used to cook eggs on.

What has cooking eggs got to do with it Puzzled It needs 160°C or more to fry an egg and near enough 100°C to boil or poach it. I said that at a washing machine temperature of 30°C (roughly body temperature), the temperature of a hand wash cycle wouldn't itself damage a helmet because it'll routinely get warmer than that when exposed to strong sunshine.

If you're still arguing that the surface of a dark helmet won't get to 40°C or more in strong sunshine then good luck to you when you go walking barefoot over helmets this summer (again, not in Scotland of course). If you're arguing that a sunbaked helmet shouldn't be used as a frying pan or saucepan then you're right. It wouldn't be hot enough, there are too many holes and it wouldn't fit in the dishwasher afterwards. rolling eyes
snow conditions
60 degrees should be sufficient to boil an egg, will just cook slower.

I think I may make myself a tad unpopular walking over peoples' hemets, I'll stick to egg cooking I think Smile

May well be hot enough to almost cook eggs in the Hoff in April Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy