Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you be interested in gates training at Hemel?

Poster: A snowHead
Just trying to gauge interest but we are looking at the possibility of a gates session at Hemel on Monday nights 8-10 pm.

Coaching would be provided by Inside Out Skiing coaches and potentially other coaches affiliated to the Hemel Ski Race Club. This would suit good recreational skiers Level 8+ from the Inside Out Skiing Level guide as well as instructors who are looking for development. Training will probably be run every two weeks or so depending on interest and will include a mix of technical development and full gates, stubbies and carrot training so protective equipment is recommended and helmets mandatory.

Price to be confirmed but on the order of £20 per session if block booked in advance which would include slope and coaching time. A one off taster session will be available for around £30 and if you feel the training is right for you, you would then need to apply join the race club at £35 per annum.

If you are interested please email info@insideoutskiing.com for further details and if we get enough people interested i will approach the Race club management and finalise details.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, is there room for this alongside Impulse's auld-gits sessions?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sideshow_Bob, Impulse sessions will be a higher level imo and this is more for those wanting to get into gates as opposed to experienced current racers and the higher end juniors and national team skiers that Phil trains. A few Inside Out clients that went along to Impulses sessions felt a bit out of their depth. This isnt meant to overlap or compete with Impulses' offering at all (PB we dont want to step on your toes!! ) and is more for early stage adult racers and those thinking about gates training, hemel based instructors, people wanting to start training in prep for ET and TT etc... I will be doing some training as will Rob during this session and if we get enough numbers are thinking we could alternate who sets and coaches

The Snow Centre will be closing the slope to rec skiers from 6-10 on mondays so should have some availability in the later 8-10 session but hard to say exactly how it will pan out just yet
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret,
Quote:

A few Inside Out clients that went along to Impulses sessions felt a bit out of their depth.
Thought I would, so didn't go.

But
Quote:

is more for early stage adult racers and those thinking about gates training, hemel based instructors, people wanting to start training in prep for ET and TT
this makes me think, particularly since I have no idea what the acronyms refer to, that even Inside Out's scheme would make me feel out of my depth.

To clarify, I'd like to do this as training to turn where I have to, rather than where I want to, and also to up my speed a bit, as well as being fun to do just for its own sake. Nothing more technical or competitive than that.

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm, think you need to work this one out with Phil - although if you're liasing with HRC then I guess that's what you will be doing. "People wanting to start training in prep for ET and TT" does sound a very strong overlap/compete though. Last year Phil had mostly juniors on Sundays and adults on Mondays - so it'll be important to think through how this idea would work out. It'll be an improvement if the centre is closed to rec skiers while the training sessions are on though, as there were times when it was difficult to manage both race trainees and snowploughers on the slope at the same time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to clarify on this, Monday night at 8-10 there will be about 30-35 Hemel club trainees, Impulse Racings group and now, apparently, Inside out's group on alternate weeks.

The slope are happy for three organisations to train at this time but there may be 2 courses set for the latter part of the session, one for HSRC and one for Impulse leaving just one third available for tech work.

As Graham says, it was difficult to manage race trainees and some of the public skiers on some of the evenings but, depending on the number of trainees for each group, the slope could have 60-80 trainees on there at this time.

Impulse, as for the last couple of summers, are continuing with Monday evening training sessions as well as Sunday evening technical sessions from April to October.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to clarify on this, Monday night at 8-10 there will be about 30-35 Hemel club trainees, Impulse Racings group and now, apparently, Inside out's group on alternate weeks.

The slope are happy for three organisations to train at this time but there may be 2 courses set for the latter part of the session, one for HSRC and one for Impulse leaving just one third available for tech work.

As Graham says, it was difficult to manage race trainees and some of the public skiers on some of the evenings but, depending on the number of trainees for each group, the slope could have 60-80 trainees on there at this time.

Impulse, as for the last couple of summers, are continuing with Monday evening training sessions as well as Sunday evening technical sessions from April to October.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN, of course and as i mentioned we really, really dont want to step on anyones toes. We originally were going to run a session mainly for Hemel instructors who wanted to do some gates training on a tuesday but the centre now wants to contain all poles training to a closed slope on a monday so Sunday sessions will no longer be offered and the juniors will be there on a Monday night from April. As there may be some capacity on the later session it MAY work out to have a more entry level group (and i include instructors with little gates training in that group) but would need to be clearly differentiated
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am an 8.5 on your scale....and interested.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm definitely interested. Loved that coaching clinic with the carrots and stubby gates...

Vicky
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Loved that coaching clinic with the carrots and stubby gates...
So did I (ahem, up to a point, Lord Copper. wink)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I fluctuate between 6.5 & 8.5 depending on the tides, stars etc and would be interested Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, As my username suggests I'd be interested to give it a bash!! Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wish I could go Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
so three groups all wanting to do the same thing (at different levels) on the one slope (with only 2 courses)...mmm that'll work NOT! i can see the fights now about course setting and who was there first

i am going to ask the question not because i want a fight but because i simply don't know the answer...Scott/Rob, what is your business model, last time i looked it was teaching beginners inside and out now it appears to be race training and running "club" sessions all over the alps and indoors too...now i am confused, are you trying to be all things to all men or focussing on a market, the scatter gun approach rarely succeeds
snow report
CEM, we ditched the Learn to Ski programme a few months ago as we were getting much less interest in that than we had initially expected, and much more interest from keen recreational skiers up to and including BASI L1 kind of standard. We are therefore focusing on the keen recreational skier market. Broad plan is that we offer coaching all year round at Hemel via different types of clinic or private lessons, plus a small number of club trips to the mountains in the winter to complement what we do at Hemel. Anything we do with gates is as an introduction to race training; for those who want to go further in that area people like Philbo have great opportunities with Impulse Racing.

Unless the plan has changed since I last discussed it the Monday late evening sessions will be via Hemel Race Club, so I don't think there will be 3 groups working in 2 lanes.
snow report
CEM

Interesting question.

If we're getting this out there.....as those who have trained with Impulse previously will know. Impulse is an organisation running race training. Aimed at those who wish to either race or improve their skiing using the drills and techniques passed down from the competitive end of the sport. Delivered by coaches that have either been national competitors or have coached to an international standard.
With coaches and trainees that have trained and skied to levels in excess of the Eurotest and test technique, we are ideally placed to work with individuals trying to attain passes at these tests.

The Snowcentre have allocated 3 lanes for the Monday session. That means that there can be 3 organisations and therefore, potentially 3 courses (1 per organisation).
I fully expect the Hemel club session to be running gates for at least the 2nd hour of the session. Impulse will be running stubbies/markers/gates for the same period.
This will leave one third of the slope for any other organisation.

Impulse are currently looking to run additional Gate sessions elsewhere as well as the currently scheduled tech sessions on Sunday evenings.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:

Unless the plan has changed since I last discussed it the Monday late evening sessions will be via Hemel Race Club, so I don't think there will be 3 groups working in 2 lanes.

so is this a hemel club session coached by you guys therefore not really a 3rd group or is it an inside out session coached by hemel race club, therefore equally not a 3rd group on the slope

or am i missing the point here
snow conditions
to avoid any confusion the training i mentioned would be through Hemel Ski Race Club and NOT Inside Out Skiing.

As Phil mentions Impulse is ideally suited for high end race training and getting instructors ready to take the ET and TT. the session we are looking at will be much more entry level and could very well be a feeder to the Impulse sessions, we have had several people who have trained with IOS move to Impulse successfully but also have some that are keen to get into gates but felt Impulse sessions were a bit too advanced.

CEM, I have spoken with Philbo, and he is now clued up on what we are proposing. As far as our business model have a look at our website and all will be revealed wink
snow conditions
I'm interested. Currently I'm a 7.893 on the Inside Out Scale of Greatness, and far too old to ever develop into a decent ski racer. On the other hand it sounds like a fun way to polish up on technique and set some personal challanges. So, if you'll have me, I'm on for it.
snow report
Spud9, i will round you up to an 8 in that case... wink
ski holidays
Spud9,
Quote:

Currently I'm a 7.893 on the Inside Out Scale of Greatness, and far too old to ever develop into a decent ski racer. On the other hand it sounds like a fun way to polish up on technique and set some personal challanges. So, if you'll have me, I'm on for it.
Snap! But I already got rounded up, so that I could attend the Performance Clinics. Little Angel Inside Out know which way their bread is buttered. wink
snow report
I'd be tempted if I were closer and a better skier.
snow conditions
Shame. I would have been tempted by this, but I'm somewhere between a 6 and a 7 if I'm reading it right. Confused
snow report
And to further clarify, as per the opening post this thread was to just to gauge interest and help determine potential numbers of trainees who may be interested in gates training through the Hemel Ski Race Club, i was going to pass on rough numbers to the committee for their consideration.

THIS SESSION IS NOT APPROVED by HSRC, nor has it been discussed by the HSRC committee and i may have overstepped my boundaries as a Club Coach discussing it publicly. I am not on the committee and it is not for me to decide or publicy discuss potential Club policy. So sorry to anyone who took offense but was just trying to help.

If a mod can delete this thread I would be grateful.
ski holidays
Philbo et al,

I have been on the Hemel Ski Race Club waiting list for a little while, and when contacted recently by Steve re these 8-10PM sessions I registered my interest.

I would like to register my interest with you as well, as I want to get back into racing (been a few years - stopped at 20, am now 31), and want to try every avenue - though without steping on anyones toes...

Ideally the goal woudl be to start club raing and then start looking for some FIS starts in SL and GS (and eventually Skier-X - before i get too old/brittle/lose nerve on kickers)

What do you advise?

-davide
snow report
What is your ultimate goal? There are lots of Swiss/French/Austrian cup skicross races around (non fis) You need to do these initially before you can get a skicross license for FIS EC or WC competitions. Are you looking to train indoors in the uk or out in the mountains? Saas Fee has a good track set up for pre season skicross training. Check out our website for videos.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy