Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Repair on Atomic D2 GS Race Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Just before Bormio - English Champs I had a racer that had severely damaged during training a top section on his GS D2s - the wood core was exposed from around 2" long fwd of his bindings -

The reason I am posting, is the repair I carried out was a first - but since Bormio the racer has been in contact and the repair has held. Most recreational ski shops will not touch this kind of repair with a barge pole so if you do get stuck in trying to do your own repair give us a shout and I can help you out.

Below is the e-mail I sent after the work was carried out just to breakdown the process - feel free to use this as a repair procedure. I do have repair photos but can't get my head around on how to post on here so if anyone knows an easy way please let me know..

Ref: Atomic GS Skis Damage

*See attached jpgs for reference.

I have used an epoxy 9323 structural glue the same that we use for bonding the carbon tubs together for the F1 chassis. This type of glue is high strength but also maintains a unique elasticity which is helpful for flex purposes on our race skis.
I have managed to also maintain the profile of the top and side surface of the skis which is important for aero and snow deflect. Visually the glue patch is noticeable but if you run your finger along the profile of the skis you cannot feel the repair which is more important.
This is the first time I have repaired such a big area on the top part of a race ski so please monitor for me and let me know of any issues that come up post training/race.
Also take a small tube of silicon sealant with you in your wax box - I don't envisage the glue patch coming out but should this happen please smear silicon sealant over the exposed wood core area - and let set for a few hours (this will limit water ingress) and bring back to workshop.

Any problems give me a shout.
Rgds,
TD
PS - No charge but please monitor glue repair and let me know of any issues.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edge2Win, Sounds brilliant.

I'd love to see the repair pics.

to post pics on here, Click the "post reply" button on the bottom. On that page, you will have the option to click a button "IMG"

If you have the picures hosted somewhere, you can take the URL fo the picture, and past it in.

the way it works is ...

Click "IMG" button, paste in URL, Click IMG button again.

or you can simply put "[img]" before the URL and "[/img]" after it.

not sure how the Snoweahs picture hosting works on the SnowMedia_Zone...... admin might be able to help..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
quadwould, Thanks for that & I'm sure the photo upload info is a 'sticky' somewhere.....I can see the admin guys rolling their eyes now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
[/img]
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Edge2Win,

What was the Epoxy you were using? I have an area on my boat that I might need a "strong but flexible" joint.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scooby_simon, Its a composite glue they use in F1 to bond the carbon tubs together. I've just done a quick Google search and the nearest I can find as an equivalent is 9323 made by 3M, now I know we do use a lot of 3M products as they specialize in the Aerospace sector but the glue we use is a two part white/pink mix which is different to the glue spec on the 3M website .
Not sure if this is just aesthetics or if this is completely different. I will ask one of the composite guys when I go back to work - but for now have a look at the following link for info - copy and paste this into your toolbar & this is a pdf for the 3M - 9323 glue.

http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetrievalAPI/BlobServlet?locale=en_EU&lmd=1201710307000&assetId=1180595372623&assetType=MMM_Image&blobAttribute=ImageFile

The good thing is I was able to use my hotbox to gently cure the composite glue, and by overfilling the area and then letting it cure I could then sand down to match the profiles on either side. I guess to look at the repair is not pretty but actually feeling the repair with your fingers you could hardly notice the change in profile - so all good.

Will find out about the 9323 equivalent ‘over the counter’ from work and PM you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Edge2Win,

Uber thanks; this is the toy I play with when not skiing

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scooby_simon wrote:
.....What was the Epoxy you were using? I have an area on my boat that I might need a "strong but flexible" joint.

Araldite 2011 - waterproof, flexible & has been used on skis (& boats) for years.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
scooby_simon, Very nice Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scooby_simon wrote:
Edge2Win,

What was the Epoxy you were using? I have an area on my boat that I might need a "strong but flexible" joint.

9323 is made by 3M - & used in Aerospace industry - scanned around on Google and these guys sell it http://www.univarsc.com/3m-scotchweld-epoxy-adhesive-93232-ba-1-ltr-610601269 or contact 3M direct.
Araldite 2011 - I guess you can buy at your local DIY store - don't know, never used it - and the composite guys here at Mercedes F1 don't rate it as it has a lower impact resistance then that of 9323.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is quite an interesting glue based thread... maybe admin should make it a sticky!! Laughing
Edge2Win, you certainly know your glues.. and obviously work with the big boys.... lucky that the high-tech Merc F1 team don't rely on your photography skills though!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The bet is that the ski holds fine for a while. But eventually it will snap in two, as the resin cannot distribute the load in the same way as the original material.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting theory fx - what would be your method of repair?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy