Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strange skiing related pub conversation...

Poster: A snowHead
I had quite an annoying pub conversation where one of my friends insisted that skiing is not a sport because you can do it the whole day without getting tired whilst you could not run for three hours Confused

My suggestion was that maybe it depends how you ski and whether you consider skiing a sport or a holiday (i.e. loads of photo/coffee/lunch, assorted other stops) was basically discarded on the basis that it was not hard because it was alwas going down hill and you did not have to do anything Shocked (I know, I know I do have strange friends but she is otherwise normal....).

I then suggested that maybe she feels this way because the people she is skiing with are not pushing her or she is not pushing herself out of her comfort zone (this was of course also discarded rolling eyes ).

I then suggested that this may be the case because she switched to blades but was informed that because of that she was faster than people on skis...at which point I gave up because the electric guitars were too loud and I really didn't fancy loosing my voice. Confused

Any good arguments because I am pretty sure that I have come across quite a few people who were pretty fit and did ski quite hard during the day and SHOCK HORROR were tired at the end of the day!

Rant over (for now)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure what the argument is Puzzled

Of course it's a sport. I've spent much of the weekend watching the World cup races on Eurosport. OTOH it's not really a sport the way I do it! Laughing

Swimming is a sport too. It's in the Olympics. Doesn't mean to say that everyone who goes on a beach holiday and goes in the sea/does a few laps of the pool every day is a sportsman/woman either.

It is, what it is, to who is doing it and to what degree.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maggi, reminds me of my swimming teacher at school (the school was exceptionally keen on swimming) - she used to differentiate between 'swimmers' and 'bathers' and said that she did not want anyone to leave school and still be a bather. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I'm shagged out, does that make it a sport and me an athlete?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-03-11 1:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, "bathers" brings up an image like this in my mind Shocked

JamesIE, only if you have athlete's foot rolling eyes .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And yeah, that was exactly the point I was trying to get across that it depends how you do it but I kind of failed... not really about being an athlete or not - even though obviously some people will be athletes.

Quote:

It is, what it is, to who is doing it and to what degree.

yup - I totally agree with the above!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your friend had said that what the average skiier does on a ski holiday wasn't a sport (few runs, stop for coffee, another few runs, stop for lunch, apres ski later etc), then she'd definitely have a point. When I go on a ski holiday, I don't consider myself taking part in a sport as such, maybe a hobby/pastime/pursuit.

But, to then write-off skiing as a whole, is completely ridiculous. First of all, there's no set criteria that says that for something to be a sport, it needs to make you physically tired. Does that mean horse racing isn't a sport, or that in football, the goalkeeper isn't taking part in a sport? However, I reckon there's no way you could do competitive snowsports all day without getting tired!

Your friends argument is like saying the Tour De France isn't a sporting event because other people can go and pootle about on a bike all day without getting tired.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about pool and darts? Are they real sports.. I think we need to define sport. NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Liveezy wrote:
What about pool and darts? Are they real sports.. I think we need to define sport. NehNeh

I could watch topless darts all day so it can't be a sport. Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
Liveezy wrote:

I could watch topless darts all day so it can't be a sport. Wink
part of you would be tired after a full day Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
schneeflocke wrote:

I then suggested that maybe she feels this way because the people she is skiing with are not pushing her or she is not pushing herself out of her comfort zone (this was of course also discarded rolling eyes ).

I'd say you hit the nail on the head right there. By her logic, since you can go for a nice stroll in the park for hours without getting tired, then racewalking can't possibly be a sport. Without knowing her, my guess is she's lacking in experience. Of course you can slide down long nice blues without breaking a sweat. Racing down steep blacks willl require a whole lot more strength and stamina. If she's never felt her legs screaming "stop!" she's never really pushed herself and she's not fit to talk for those who have.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
schneeflocke wrote:
I had quite an annoying pub conversation where one of my friends insisted that skiing is not a sport because you can do it the whole day without getting tired whilst you could not run for three hours Confused
Is running a marathon a sport? Huge numbers of people do the London Marathon and take well over three hours to complete the distance. Quite a few people compete in ultra marathons which are longer, sometimes much longer, than the normal (just over 26 miles) marathon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank God us snowboarders dont have to have conversations like that wink ...boardings not a sport, it's a lifestyle! Cool

...and it shouldn't be in the olympics (but thats another thread)!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adrian wrote:
schneeflocke wrote:
Is running a marathon a sport? Huge numbers of people do the London Marathon and take well over three hours to complete the distance. Quite a few people compete in ultra marathons which are longer, sometimes much longer, than the normal (just over 26 miles) marathon.
I was just going to say that. I am doing the London Marathon this year and I do a long training run each week which is over 3 hours. However, that is because I am slow and so I must be very bad at the sport. Especially as the elite runners will do it somewhere between 2 to 2.5 hours (or something like that).

I consider myself reasonably strong and fit, but I am knackered after a day skiing where I have pushed myself. I could just potter about on blues, but it just doesn't seem as fun if you do.

Perhaps controversially, I live with a guy who says that poker is more of a sport than gambling (because of the level of skill required apparently). I don't play so I don't know enough to agree or disagree, but I guess you get mentally exhausted if you play for quite a few hours. If poker is a sport, skiing definitly is.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

skiing is not a sport because you can do it the whole day without getting tired

Has your friend tried to ski, for example, from the top of the Grands Montets to the valley without stopping? I suspect if she did they she might revise their views on not being tired. Or, has she see (a) the physique of a downhill racer and (b) the look on their face at the end of a race? Has she considered that despite only wearing a thin lyrcra speed suit racers still seem to be sweating after 2 minutes of racing?

Also, if she thinks you "don't have to do anything" when going downhill she probably needs to get off the green runs and ski something more challenging.

I don't really care of people think it's a sport, a hobby or a perversion, but to say it doesn't make you tired is just irritating twadle. I have a friend who cycles over 100 miles a week and runs half marathons, come 3pm on any given day of a skiing holiday he doesn't need much pursuading to stop for a pint;-)
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
maggi, reminds me of my swimming teacher at school (the school was exceptionally keen on swimming) - she used to differentiate between 'swimmers' and 'bathers' and said that she did not want anyone to leave school and still be a bather. rolling eyes

I once had a pair of ski boots that were fine when I was on a family holiday, but would cause my toenails to drop off when skiing hard. I asked my guide why this was. His answer (best appreciated if imagined in a French accent),

"Skiing with the family is not skiing - it is moving on snow."
wink
ski holidays
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

Quote:
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

Quote:
Word Origin & History

sport
c.1400, "to take pleasure, to amuse oneself," from Anglo-Fr. disport, from O.Fr. desport "pastime, recreation, pleasure," from desporter "to divert, amuse, please, play" (see disport). Sense of "to amuse oneself by active exercise in open air or taking part in some game" is from late 15c.

A sport does not have to be competitive. Your friend is pedantic but 100% wrong.
latest report
A sport is something where blood is spilled. Hunting, fishing, shooting, boxing.

Everything else is just a game.

According to a letter in the Telegraph some years ago, the author having been taught that at Prep school during Edwardian times.
snow report
James the Last, Laughing
Rugby and skiing missing from that list then.
Having watched the prog on Chemmy Alcots crash skiing deffo a sport by that definition Shocked
snow conditions
laundryman,

"to amuse oneself by active exercise in open air or taking part in some game"

So skinny-dipping and dogging are sports now? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
There are many opinions of what constitutes a sport, but none are ultimately definitive. From distant memories of my degree, I seem to remember that the generally accepted definition was something that involved (a) physical activity; (b) an element of competition and (c) was bound by rules.

Similarly (and this is my own take on it) you could try to define a physical activity as being something different dependent on the circumstances in which it is being participated in. So, imagine "sport" (as "defined" above) as being the central circle within a ring of concentric circles. The next circle out is "exercise" (activity in the pursuit of some health or fitness goal); and the next circle out is "physical activity". Physical activity is just movement or activity with no specific aim relating to sport or exercise.

To give an example, if I walk/run up the stairs at work to get to another office, that is physical actvity. If I choose to walk/run up the stairs rather than take the lift because I want to lose weight or get fitter, then it becomes exercise. If me and a few mates get together to organise a "Running Up the Stairs" competition and put some rules together to ensure it's fair, then it becomes a sporting activity. All the same basic activity, but by altering the intention for participating, it changes what it is...simples!

I knew my degree would come in useful one day... wink
snow report
I once had a similar conversation about whether Darts was a sport? We eventually came to the conclusion that an activity can only be counted as a sport if you have to change your shoes to participate.

This most definitely makes skiing a sport!
snow report
Quote:

an activity can only be counted as a sport if you have to change your shoes to participate

...ten-pin bowling, or even digging over the garden on a muddy day!!
snow report
Wardster00 wrote:
I once had a similar conversation about whether Darts was a sport? We eventually came to the conclusion that an activity can only be counted as a sport if you have to change your shoes to participate.

And that also concludes swimming is not a sport, since you don't need shoes, while on the other side, laying on couch is sport, since normally you (at least around here we do) change to slippers once you get home Laughing
snow report
Wardster00, how does your definition of sport cater for swimming and beach volleyball?
snow report
Ballroom Dancing, at the top end is way more 'sporty' than Golf, Darts, Curling, Snooker, Shooting, Archery......

I think the distinction comes in how you prepare to compete - If you have to train, it's a sport, if you practice....then maybe not.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 7-03-11 12:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
She uses blades. It doesn't matter what she thinks.
ski holidays
cycling is an olympic sport.... skiing is just as much a sport and then some (history, traditions etc) in so many differnt disciplines.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I suppose my theory works better by saying that an activity cannot be called a sport if you don't have to change your shoes.

For example if you were sat in the office you could easily get up from your desk and play darts to the best of your ability without changing any of your clothes. However, you would struggle to walk away from your desk and perform at the best of your ability at athletics, football, rugby, swimming, skiing, beach volleyball, fencing or, indeed, skiing, without changing your shoes.

It's just a silly theory but it seems to work.
ski holidays
I suppose my theory works better by saying that an activity cannot be called a sport if you don't have to change your shoes.

For example if you were sat in the office you could easily get up from your desk and play darts to the best of your ability without changing any of your clothes. However, you would struggle to walk away from your desk and perform at the best of your ability at athletics, football, rugby, swimming, skiing, beach volleyball, fencing or, indeed, skiing, without changing your shoes.

It's just a silly theory but it seems to work.
ski holidays
Why are you even countenancing an argument with this woman, chase this troll back under her bridge with a lighted torch and move on.
snow report
Quote:

I then suggested that this may be the case because she switched to blades but was informed that because of that she was faster than people on skis...

at what - waxing them????
ski holidays
Lol tell that to someone who has skied race stock GS skis bell to bell pulling 2g in each turn or skied moguls.

Tennis and a number of other sports can be low energy if you want them to be, just take a look at the people in the park hitting moonball frying pan shot to each other for hrs on end.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy