Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not another pop at Snowboarders per se, BUT.....

Poster: A snowHead
Schuss in Boots, You are being sooo good Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ok since i am not allowed to bang my poles together, can i bang them on the snowboarder ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sev112, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
have the snowheads awards been yet? this is contender for troll of the year!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oooohhh snowheads award - i had forgotten about the awards - whetever happened to Keith, or whatever his name was

I've got 3 lots of Laughing Laughing Laughing this week already, do i get an award ...please .... Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sleipnir, - bottom line is that you are the one at fault. My analysis is that you need to give people more space as other posters have mentioned 3 to 4 foot when approaching a boarder from behind in my view is bordering on recklessness. Have a look at the FIS rules of ski-ing it might just re-focus your responsibilities. Also I would advise that you turn your I pod off when negotiating tricky narrow red slopes at the end of the day when the home runs are likely to be busy with a general increase in traffic.
Oh and by the way I am a skier not a boarder - just remember that if it was not for the boarding community that shook up ski technology - you would still be ski-ing on skinny ski's and not enjoying the joys of carving turns on piste and floating on the powder off piste.
I might very wrong - but I have a mental image of you tail gating people on the autobahn/motorway whilst chatting in to your mobile phone on the way to a very important meeting. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbandit wrote:
Sleipnir, - bottom line is that you are the one at fault. My analysis is that you need to give people more space as other posters have mentioned 3 to 4 foot when approaching a boarder from behind in my view is bordering on recklessness. Have a look at the FIS rules of ski-ing it might just re-focus your responsibilities. Also I would advise that you turn your I pod off when negotiating tricky narrow red slopes at the end of the day when the home runs are likely to be busy with a general increase in traffic.
Oh and by the way I am a skier not a boarder - just remember that if it was not for the boarding community that shook up ski technology - you would still be ski-ing on skinny ski's and not enjoying the joys of carving turns on piste and floating on the powder off piste.
I might very wrong - but I have a mental image of you tail gating people on the autobahn/motorway whilst chatting in to your mobile phone on the way to a very important meeting. Toofy Grin

er durrr - arent they called the (and i quote) "FIS rules of ski-ing " - in which case FIS dont consider that snowboarders exist or have any credence on teh slopds, in which case all of your logic is flawed, in which case you shoudl all just basically take a tenon saw to your mdf wide skis ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and just dont believe anyone who cant type either
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And the problem was????????????????????????????????
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry I started to read all this thread but couldn't be bothered in the end. To the OP though, I would say (as a boarder and new skier) that you are wrong. Narrow sections are particularly challenging for new snowboarders. The only way to control speed on a board is to make a turn which is hard in narrow sections.

Boards don't snowplough so there is no other way to scrub off speed. It becomes difficult or impossible to control your board if another board/skier comes up parallel to you, and blocks you from turning (unless you are very skilled and can put in multiple mini turns).

On sections like this I always board behind my wife who has less confidence than me and i have to admit if you'd come up behind me, I would have turned in front of you on purpose to block you from annoying her. If you stacked it as a consequence however I would probably have stopped to help you up because i'm a nice sort of chap really.

You should plan your overtakes for wider areas.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The only way to control speed on a board is to make a turn which is hard in narrow sections.

that about sums up the skill level of most boarder Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I clattered a snowboarder the other day. I still don't know whether I was at fault under FIS code, piste funnelling left onto brief cattrack, boarder comes from behind me but lower down the hill then tries to cut uphill for a hit on his heelside. I've nowhere to go so deploy a strategic forearm. He looked a bit dazed but was ok, he had had no clue I was there, shoulder check before cutting uphill is common sense surely?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
monkey - they all seem to control speed just fine by slipping sideways... no problem with this but it is tricky to work out when they will change from sideways travel to travelling with the board end facing in direction of travel...

My biggest beef though is the weird belief that falling flat on your face is not stopping some how... and that you can just get up and take off without looking uphill ... sitting on the snow freezing your butt and melting snow to your underwear seems to suffer from the same "I'm not really stopped" definition and is just as annoying as they want to jump up without looking and take off in front of people... particularly if the are a snowboard instructor with a class that will follow just as blissfully unaware of the other folks on the slope...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
I clattered a snowboarder the other day. I still don't know whether I was at fault under FIS code, piste funnelling left onto brief cattrack, boarder comes from behind me but lower down the hill then tries to cut uphill for a hit on his heelside. I've nowhere to go so deploy a strategic forearm. He looked a bit dazed but was ok, he had had no clue I was there, shoulder check before cutting uphill is common sense surely?

Dude you took his line! Shocked

Sounds to me like he should have had you in sight from a way back if he was watching direction of travel... I get the heel side blind spot - but not for a whole section of piste ahead of you
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
little tiger, Actually all a bit more difficult to analyse than that - very short cat track to avoid reservoir , most people carry speed to get across to cafe/lifts. I definitely wasn't 100% blameless as if you analysed all aspects of the fall line I was definitely the uphill user and I'd just assumed we'd run parallel. Anyway he got a nice face slam to teach him some environmental awareness. Nice example of where the FIS code is too simplistic to totally analyse situations - merger of runs, looking uphill etc in play as well I think.
ski holidays
fatbob, the only sensible solution is forget the code, all wear plenty of armour and just duke it out for right of way - harry hill style

little tiger, fair point. That annoys skiers and boarder alike. To be honest though in nearly all situations they can be avoided. I board and ski with the same rules as I ride my motorbike - namely that I assume people are all going to try and kill me. This means I automatically assume a downed skier or boarder is going to get up and cut me off as soon as i pass them, hence i give them a wide berth. Not likely to be an issue on the type of narrow track described by the OP mind you.
snow report
So I think we can safely conclude:

Cat tracks suck
Snowboarders suck
Poles suck
Helmets suck
The FIS sucks
Laughing Laughing Sucks
Stopping sucks
Starting again sucks
The OP sucks
everyone sucks

OK?
snow report
This may be just my opinion, but think wearing Ipods while skiing is a bit dubious, though I've seen loads doing it. Sometimes the only indication you've got that someone is approaching quickly from higher up are the sounds their skis/snowboard make. The information you get (whether it's a boarder or a skier, what direction they're coming from and how fast) can be subtle and you need to concentrate. The better I get at skiing just reminds me I need to concentrate harder because I'm going faster and so is everyone around me.

If I hear someone approaching fast I sometimes put a hand out to indicate I'm about to turn - at least they give me a wider clearance zone (probs because they think I'm a crazy)

Some people on slopes are doing speeds they would normally do in a car - the only difference is, they're protected by a helmet and perhaps some body armour. The rest is nylon and merino. So BAN IPODS! Wink
snow report
Quote:

So BAN IPODS!

no
ski holidays
Better to ban people who rely on those below them not only to hear them coming but also - in the very brief time available to them - to make a snap decision as to the optimum evasion tactics and have the technical skills to put those tactics into practice without going A over T.

It is absolute NOT the duty of the downhill skier to have eyes and ears peeled for people coming from above. What is more, a less than expert skier deciding to take evading tactics is just going to make things much worse, if the speed demon approaching has calculated that they will hold their course or continue to turn regularly.
snow conditions
pam w, well said
snow report
pam w,
Quote:

It is absolute NOT the duty of the downhill skier to have eyes and ears peeled for people coming from above.
That's a bit like saying it's not the duty of someone who is on a zebra crossing to keep an eye open for a driver who may not be stopping. It may not be a duty, but it is prudent.

To be clear, I have no objection to people having headphones on if they wish: I just prefer to have all my faculties about me. (I don't actually like wearing headphones at all, but that's another matter.)
ski holidays
Hurtle, I don't think it's quite the same, because few skiers are too stable when they are looking back over their shoulder. On a busy piste there'll almost always be someone coming down behind you and I've skied with quite a few people who regularly freak themselves (and everyone around them) out by juddering to a halt every time someone comes within 20 metres. It's an absolute pain, and quite dangerous.

As for hearing another skier, they have to be extremely close before you can hear them, and unless you look round you still have no idea whether they are heading to pass you on the right or left. I was taken out by a Frenchman last year, and I heard his skis just before he took me right off my feet. I had a helmet on, but no music.

The attitude of some "overtaking skiers" (including the OP) seems to be that if someone below you is not aware you are there, they are somehow negligent. I disagree.

Yes, of course you need to look up the slope before joining it, from a stop at the side or from another piste. That's in the Code. But the downhill skier needs to be on full alert to ensure he avoids all the people below him - on a busy piste that's far more useful than getting jumpy any time there's someone behind.

My OH was driving a few years ago and became aware that a police car was following him. He made sure he was driving below 30 mph but was so obsessed with the frikking police car he completely omitted to notice the light had gone red on an approaching pedestrian crossing and old man and older dog were starting to dodder across. He was going too fast to stop immediately so swerved round them, missing them by what he had the eternal cheek to call "a rather fine feat of driving".

He got a fine and his licence endorsed. The kids thought it was hilarious as he fancied himself a pillar of the Neighbourhood Watch.

Look where you're going, that's my motto! Yes, constant glances in the rear view mirror. But skiers don't have rear view mirrors. Just as well, too - they'd be heaps more dangerous than i-Pods.
ski holidays
pam w, yes, I wasn't trying to generalize, hence being cool about whether other people wear headphones or not. Just stating my preference, which incidentally didn't help me when I too was wiped out at speed. However, if I become aware of someone close behind me, whilst I won't stop, I'll often move carefully to the very edge of the piste and side-slip down it, if possible, so as to leave them lots of room.

Your poor hubby - how very embarrassing. Laughing
ski holidays
If I'm on a cat track and there are skiers in front of me who I wish to overtake I usually take a look behind before I make my move, there are sometimes folk coming down a bit faster than their control warrants and if I move out they may bump me.
snow conditions
Quote:

Your poor hubby - how very embarrassing

Yes. Especially when the copper who'd nicked him walked in the next time he was in the Havant Police Station doing the Neighbourhood Watch "ring around".

The funniest thing (given that nobody was hurt) was that he walked in and said "Oh God I need a drink!" and had a large whisky before telling me all about it.

T Bar, that evidently makes sense, just as you'd check behind before pulling out to overtake a truck.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
little tiger, Actually all a bit more difficult to analyse than that - very short cat track to avoid reservoir , most people carry speed to get across to cafe/lifts. I definitely wasn't 100% blameless as if you analysed all aspects of the fall line I was definitely the uphill user and I'd just assumed we'd run parallel. Anyway he got a nice face slam to teach him some environmental awareness. Nice example of where the FIS code is too simplistic to totally analyse situations - merger of runs, looking uphill etc in play as well I think.

May be my understanding of what you wrote... but it sounded like he was the overtaking skier. Even if he took a line that went below you then back up he was still obliged to give you a heap of room...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy