Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not another pop at Snowboarders per se, BUT.....

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a week of skiing in Sölden where I encountered a few 'incidents' with snowboarders, a one would expect

It's not a gripe, rather an observation, which I think others will agree (or disagree) with

My major concern about sharing the slopes with boarders (be it a larger number or otherwise) is what appears to be their lack of awareness of what's going on around them. I don't board myself, so I am the first to admit that it may be down to the difference in techniques, but a certain degree of tunnel vision seems to exist for many (not all!) boarders

As a skier, even when I have my iPod on at a low volume, I feel that I have a reasonable awareness of what's going on around me - peripheral vision/awareness, whatever you choose to call it. This doesn't seem to exist for boarders. Let me give you an example:

Skiing down to the valley on a reasonably tricky and narrow red (at the end of the day), I skied up alongside a boarder. I was about 3 to 4ft away from him as I tried to pass. Thankfully, I was against the mountain side, as opposed to the more dangerous other side where there was a pretty hefty drop. The boarder in question simply had no comprehension that I was alongside him and I was half expecting a right turn from him which would have wiped me out against the rocks. Thankfully nothing happened I hasten to add

When I told my concerns to my German skiing partner her response was "blöde Snowboarders!"

I am not anti snowboarders and whilst it has absolutely no appeal for me whatsoever, if that is what they enjoy doing, that's great! But as a skier, I feel that wherever possible, it's down to me to ensure that nothing serious happens as a result of the differences in styles, ie giving them a very wide berth, so to speak

Has anyone any other thoughts/advice about sharing the slopes with our snowboarding friends?

PS - I have posted this on the 'Bend ze Knees' section as it's more about learning new skills to handle situations encountered, rather than 'attack' and a belief that all boarders should be rounded up and shot!!! Shocked Shocked wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll add to the potential for controversy - were either of you wearing helmets? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lethal_Hamster wrote:
I'll add to the potential for controversy - were either of you wearing helmets? Twisted Evil

For me, Giro G10 helmet and POC back protector. No iPod as it was way too crowded and cut up, so the priority for me was getting down safely and enjoying a beer in the apres ski bar in the valley

Can't recall if the boarder had an helmet though
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fair play. We can now eliminate the "helmet interfering with peripheral vision" concept, and move on to slightly less rage inducing discussion. It's more likely that this particular chap wasn't paying much attention to the world behind him...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sleipnir, did you pass the boarder on his toe or heel edge?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AT 3-4ft it sounds like you could've scared the living daylights out of him, if he had been unaware of you and you had of tapped him on the shoulder with your ski pole!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sleipnir, so you were the one overtaking? And as FtS asks - did you try and pass heelside?

I'm a skier btw and I'm not convinced your example is briliant.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Sleipnir, did you pass the boarder on his toe or heel edge?

Really can't remember to be honest with you - it was a case of a very narrow piste (little more than a skiweg) crowded with people. I had my thoughts on "how do I quickly get passed this guy without any troubles" wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You were behind. The obligation was on you to pass safely, usually toeside, when you were sure you had been seen or could pass with no risk to either of you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother wrote:
Sleipnir, so you were the one overtaking? And as FtS asks - did you try and pass heelside?

I'm a skier btw and I'm not convinced your example is briliant.

I was the one overtaking (and yes, fully aware of the FIS Ski Way Code for the uphill skier/boarder taking full responsibility for ensuring there is sufficient space). No excessive speed was involved and it was more of a case of getting past to avoid an potential incident and then taking a break at an appropriate (wider) spot to let the path free up of people (boarders and skiers alike)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sleipnir, May be if the piste was narrow and crowded you could have been a bit more patient in trying to pass "quickly", and then you could may be anticipate his movements better rolling eyes Can't really see that the snowboarder has much of a case to answer Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So what is your problem with the boarder if you don't even know whether you went past on his blindside?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sleipnir, it may come as a surprise to you to learn that - in common with the rest of the human race - boarders keep their eyes in the front of their heads. If you want them to see you, you need to go past them on the eyeball-bearing side.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sleipnir wrote:
The boarder in question simply had no comprehension that I was alongside him

No eyes in the back of his head? Just no consideration these boarders have they?

Didn't hear you coming? You presumably have perfect hearing with your Ipod on?

This is a non-story. If it isn't safe to pass, then just wait
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i just bang my poles together (rythmically of course Smile) whenever i am planning to overtake to let tehm know i am there
ski holidays
Sleipnir, I only realised a couple of years ago that boarders have a blind side. Don't feel too bad about it.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Sleipnir, I only realised a couple of years ago that boarders have a blind side. Don't feel too bad about it.

Thanks!!! As I said in the OP, I'm not a boarder and did allude to the fact that there is a difference in techniques (which not being a boarder, I am not fully aware of)

To reiterate again, it's absolutely NOT a pop at boarders, rather a question and an opportunity to learn the differences and what to look out for - thanks to FtS and others I'm now aware that boarders have a blind side, which I need to be mindful of
ski holidays
sev112, I hate to disillusion you, but virtually nobody knows why on earth you're doing that. Most of us think it's just some random thing tourists do, like sailing along tracks in a strange on-the-toilet squatting position with their poles shoved under their armpits. Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard, I think he might, just might, have been joking.
snow report
Hurtle, it's getting to that stage of the season when I'm beginning to find it difficult to tell. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, oh dear, are the queues of idiotic tourists getting to you?
latest report
Lizzard, You sound like someone who needs a supply of crumpets.. wink
snow report
Schuss in Boots, don't we all dear? Wink

Sleipnir, sounds like you have learnt something useful. You can also say/shout to people that you are on their left or right if you need to.
snow report
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

You can also say/shout to people that you are on their left or right if you need to.
Ooh, goody, we can re-run the argument about the dangers of saying/shouting something in the wrong language.rolling eyes
snow report
Sleipnir wrote:
nothing happened

and yet we have a new thread......

Must remember to start another one, the next time nothing happens.

So you think (but have no proof) that somebody on the slopes didn't see you? And then they didn't put in a turn? Quick! admin! get this story up on the front page!

rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

I was about 3 to 4ft away from him as I tried to pass.

well, like nearly everyone who has commented, I don't think the boarder has a case to answer. If you are overtaking you need to give the person in front enough space to to anything they feel like doing. It was a very narrow tricky path, you said - you should have slowed down behind him. If he was taking it excessively slowly then arguably he shouldn't have been there. But he was, and he had right of way.

I have just re-read your OP and I still can't for the life of me see what the poor guy did wrong. You don't suggest he did any daft moves, or hindered you in any way. He didn't know you were there? He didn't move out of your way? It is not the duty of the right-of-way skier to know who is behind him - I often advise beginners I am skiing with to stop faffing around trying to look over their shoulders to see who's behind them - as that makes them more likely to fall, or wobble around and generally get in the way.

Generally speaking I'd say if you can't pass without getting within 3' of someone you should chill, and enjoy the view.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
sev112, I hate to disillusion you, but virtually nobody knows why on earth you're doing that. Most of us think it's just some random thing tourists do, like sailing along tracks in a strange on-the-toilet squatting position with their poles shoved under their armpits. Laughing

Really? I find it useful on long/narrow/flat cat tracks where you need to get straight to avoid a walk, yet people are usually at different speeds. Similar to a bell on a bike, it just lets people know you're there. I prefer it when people overtaking me do that too, safer for everyone.
latest report
clarky999, I have no problems either when folks click their poles behind me, occasionally it makes me jump! but at least I know they are there and probably about to pass me. I have once or twice done it myself to clearly v. new snowploughers on paths as I assume that they would be appreciative as I am to hear it. Mind you, I must admit I hadn't given a moments thought to the notion that I might have to click my poles with the correct accent! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok... so who's got the popcorn? Toofy Grin
snow report
Schuss in Boots, in case the action goes a bit slow on the current thread, some munching time could be happily spent re-reading this one, which is a classic - combining as it does, discussion on both helmets and pole clicking:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62183&highlight=poles+click
Laughing Laughing
latest report
Hurtle, Now that's a trip down memory lane... Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle, Can I bang my poles on my helmet Puzzled
snow report
Scarpa, NO!! Your helmet will get degraded and you will immediately have to purchase a new one. Do keep up! Toofy Grin
latest report
Hurtle, I banged my pole on my boot to dislodge some snow last week and snapped the damn tip off Shocked
ski holidays
Scarpa, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Oh dear, sorry to laugh, but that is quite funny.
ski holidays
Hurtle, Now I have one pole shorter than the other and it slips on ice Crying or Very sad

I shall have to attempt a repair.
latest report
Scarpa, so long as...no, wait a minute, this isn't Boris' Bar... Toofy Grin
latest report
Scarpa, Laughing Laughing Laughing You appear to be having 'issues' this year... Laughing
snow report
Schuss in Boots, Just because the tip of my pole has detatched from the shaft doesn't mean that I can't still use it.

Hurtle wrote:
Scarpa, so long as...no, wait a minute, this isn't Boris' Bar... Toofy Grin
Are you sure? Laughing
snow conditions
Scarpa, nnnnggggghhhhhhh...... must not comment... must not comment... Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy