Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription goggles to fit a Head Sensor helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Carrying on from my earlier post, I hope you'll forgive me for creating a new one for this slightly different question. I've decided that - for this holiday at least - I'm going to go with prescription sunglasses and goggles, rather than either glasses behind a visor, or contacts behind normal sunglasses/goggles.

So ... I've got a Head Sensor helmet that fits me very well. I also have some Adidas Evil Eye sunglasses (pic) that I used to use for cycling, while wearing contact lenses, but that I have ordered prescription lenses for, so I can use them without contacts while skiing.

That's the prescription sunglasses bit sorted. On to the prescription goggles, i.e. goggles that take prescription inserts:

The choice at the opticians was limited to Oakley or Adidas, which is fine, but unfortunately they didn't fit with my helmet!! There wasn't much in it, but when I was wearing my helmet as it would normally sit, the top of the goggles were being pushed down my face, such that the goggles were pushing almost off the end of my nose, and restricting my breathing through it.

Now, I do have a backup, which is that there are some hybrid sunglasses/goggles that Adidas do, that take the same identical insert as I've ordered for my existing glasses, specifically their Elevation ClimaCool (pic) glasses. So, I have this as a viable backup, but I'd still quite like to get prescription goggles properly.

The question is, can anyone suggest how to resolve this? I'm expecting (hoping?) someone might be able to suggest some goggles that take prescription inserts, that would fit with my helmet, I guess, but I'm open to alternatives!!

Help appreciated, and apologies for the slightly rambling question!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've Bolle googles with inserts. Take a look at www.spex4less.com/skiing_goggles.shtml They will do just the inserts if you call them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a bit confused about the Adidas Evil Eye glasses - are those to be instead of the prescription inserts on days when you don't need goggles?

As for goggles with inserts, I don't think that's a problem at all. My OH and I both have inserts and they fit into any goggles we've tried, so far - finding goggles which are right with the helmet is more tricky. Our goggles are Bollé - quite cheap ones.

Our inserts have the little flexible arms, top and bottom, which fit into the goggle lens.

The whole combo needs to keep the prescription lenses at the right level relative to your eyes - the first time my OH wore his they were a bit high and he wasn't too impressed. But when he just put the goggles slightly further down, everything suddenly jumped into focus. Most ski resorts will have a big range of goggles you can try - most of them vastly cheaper than Oakleys. My Bolles were about 30 euros IIRC - they're on their third season, as are the inserts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wear my inserts with 2 different pairs of Bolle goggles, Screams (expensive but I got them in a sale) for bright days and Sharks (cheap) for dull days. Works pretty well. Both fit well with my Leedom helmet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
I'm a bit confused about the Adidas Evil Eye glasses - are those to be instead of the prescription inserts on days when you don't need goggles?

Yes. They also have interchangeable mirror, yellow and clear lenses.

Interesting about goggle inserts being non goggle specific. I wasn't aware of that. Is there anything I should be aware of if I do order some from my optician??
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DaKid, I think Bolle do 2 different versions of their inserts, most or all of their goggles will fit one or other. A google search on bolle rx inserts will give more info.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaKid, this all seems a bit complex, although I'm sure you've had a good think through what's best for you. I am a glasses-wearer and have spent a long time trying to find the best combination. I use narrow clear plastic prescription glasses, then CEBE or Scott OTGs, which seal very well with most helmets (I have GIRO models). they also work well in wipe-outs - I trashed a pair in a bit instant faceplant onto ice and although I had concussion (first big fall for years) my face took the impact and the CEBE gogoles really did well in taking the impact.

Now the offer bit - weirdly, the Sally Army in Cambridge have dozens of really good CEBE OTG goggles at 10 quid! I bought five pairs - three orange (two for me and one for a friend) and two mirrored yellow (v cool). If you want me to get some for you I can grab some and stick them in the post....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks valais2. That's an interesting option, and a very kind offer! Maybe you could email me at sally-army.goggles@hotmail.co.uk, and we can discuss it further? Smile

I had kind of thought that - from what pam w said - that there are goggle inserts that aren't manufacturer specific? Did I misunderstand that? If that is the case, where do I get them?? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaKid, I bought mine in France - albertville - but they look like these http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/131/prescription-glazed-inserts/5e1ff81a3a7f55e3582d0643fd7baae8

in that picture it's not that easy to see the flexible plastic arms, above and below the prescription bit, which mean that the things can pretty easily be fitted into a range of goggle shapes. I don't know how "universal" they are - they fit in the ones we've got but there are so many different styles of goggles it would be dangerous to assume they'd fit inside all of them.

The only choice we had was between small size and large - the latter being self-evidently more suitable for adults, we didn't have to spend any time dithering about it.

I do agree that the UK websites dealing with them are confusing. I found it much easier to talk to an actual person about them (especially as they had samples in the window) despite the language barrier.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks pam w. Useful to know! Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Friend, you have selected the best & will get more joy during your journey. Wish you a happy journey & thanks for sharing.

Ian William
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy