Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

chamonix or avoriaz in Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
hi again. Only book our hols after snowheads advice. Thanks to those who told us which appts to book in Val Thorens for Dec - now booked
Ok - so here is the next challenge.
Husband taking a long ski break next year - and I am being "invited" for a couple of weekends (how generous of him!!) - one of which is middle of Jan.
Need to be very near Geneva and easy car access so he can drive me back to the airport for Sunday eve.
He wants to be in a resort for the week where there is a ski club rep so he has some little friends to play with.
So - Chamonix or Avoriaz?? Worried coz the ski book says the road up to Avoriaz is hard to get up?
Snowheads - which resort is easiest to get to from Geneva?
Any comments on the skiing - especially for me for the weekend - a bit worried coz Chamonix sounds a) spread out b) bit advanced - but I am told I am better than I think I am!!

Heeeeeellllp thanks xx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayne durham, I have chosen Chamonix for easy access to /from Geneva for a number of winters. The road to the town is the end of the autoroute to the Mont Blanc Tunnel, so it gets kept open. The drive to Cham from Geneva will take around 1-1/2 hours with no holdups.There is a good bus service within the separate ski areas. There is a lot of intermediate and advanced skiing between the areas. The advantage of the separate areas is that you can pick your hill on the day, for example (windy-not Grand Montets, foggy-choose Le Tour). And there are tons of restaurants and bars. I am an intermediate skier, and I have skied most of the marked (open)runs, including from the top of Grand Montets, wonderful scenery. Enjoy Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jayne i went to chamonix for a weekend break last feb i would say its a doddle to get to and from , around 1hr drive time and you can get a full day almost on the sunday ,although chamonix is disjointed and knowhere near as convenient in ski terms as avoriaz . there is plenty of skiing for intermediates and some very easy stuff at le tour[this area is very confidence building] . le brevent / la flegere area is good to ,with some more of the steep stuff on le grand montets. all in all its a big advantage to have a car, parking at the foot of each areas lift is easy and better than using the bus system
stay central if you want apres ski and nightlife as every thing is walkable but its not cheap . the surrounding mountains are incredible with views of towering peaks and glaciers everywhere and the place has a lot of charm and character I would say you would find accomadation easier here for a weekend too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks guys. Will take the advice and do Chamonix. Now I need to decide whether to go BA - (trouble is the last plane back is at 6pm (cost about £160) or Easyjet which leaves later at 9.50pm but is £305!!!! (UNBELIEVABLE PRICE FOR A LOW COST AIRLINE - AHHHHHHH). It would be nice to ski the whole day on the Sunday and not have to worry about missing the flight - but makes it a pretty expensive couple of days! xx
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
be careful about missing that flight. it takes about an hour to get to Chamonix late on a Friday night. It can take quite a lot more coming back on a Sunday.

On flights, have you looked at Swiss? They're often surprisingly cheap, although if you're from Sussex the fact that they go from Heathrow might be great
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno - how long would you want to allow to get back to Geneva safely on a Sunday afternoon (if I go for the 6pm flight) or evening (if I go for the 9.50?). Will also look at Swiss - but the fact that we live 15mins from Gatwick - and can get the train there rather than pay car parking etc makes Heathrow generally unattractive.
Thanks for the advice xx
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On a bad day it can 2 hrs or more, on a good day it should take an hour or so, unfortunatly 6pm is about rush hour, you'd better off going for the later one really.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise - just looked at Ryan air - (loads cheaper than Easyjet). stanstead is a bit of a drag this end but there is an evening flight back from Turin - how viable is it to drive to Turin instead of Geneva from Chamonix - or maybe courmayeur??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
no idea, I don't live anywhere near Turin so I've had no call to make the trip, sorry. We sat for 20 or 30 a couple of times this season in stationary traffic near the peage going to Geneva and getting through the border can be painful sometimes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jayne durham, The folks at www.chaletb.com in Les Bossons, Chamonix suggest flying into Turin as an alternative to Geneva and suggest 2 hours travelling time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jayne durham, most of the time it's been fine heading back to geneva, but one time the whole thing was gridlocked and it took about 3 hours. we missed our BA flights and had to do easyjet. my feeling now is that it's safest to take a flight early on monday morning and spend sunday night in a formule 1 if you want a full day. makes for a rough day in work on the monday though

it's the same motorway if you go to Avoriaz, BTW, so it's a problem for both places
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From Avoriaz, it's not quite the same route, for a start you can avoid the worse of the autoroute by joining at Annemasse, but, you've got a problem round Taninges, last season the road either down into Miuessy or Chatillon was locked solid most weekends. It's unfortunate there's not a better train link really.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jayne durham, we have missed flights at Geneva going home, but only when coming back through Annecy. Have never had trouble with weekend traffic in January from either Chamonix or Flaine.

Arno suggests Swiss , and we have found that their last flight is quite a bit later (8pm) and they are competitive on price if not the cheapest.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jayne durham, I did a weekend this year with Ryanair to Turin. I didn't go straight from Turin to Chamonix, but did do it via La Thuile. It is quite a drive, but motorway all the way. My memory fades but I would have guessed 2 hours top limit. The roads were good and quiet.

Personally, I would definitely go that way rather than pay the cost of Easyjet. Turin is quite a small airport to find your way around as well.

As an alternative, maybe your husband could come through the tunnel himself and you could do something in Italy instead? Guess you could also leave it until you know where the best snow is. You have lots of options from Turin.

On the other hand, the journey to Stansted on a Friday is not one that I would wish to do too often though. Last time I left Friday night we ended up missing our flights because of the chaos on the M25.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry to go against the flow but I would choose Avoriaz over Chamonix for a January weekend for a number of reasons:
1. No need to waste time getting busses to the ski areas, strictly doorstep skiing.
2. Plenty of tree skiing for those January white-outs.
3. Easy access from Morzine, via the Prodane cable car, so don't worry about car access.
4. Vallee Blanche not likely to be open in January.
ski holidays
John Scott, Avoriaz is a good resort, but IMO access can be a issue, Prodains free car park can get full-even low season. The road from Geneva to Morzine, mostly single carriageway,once you are off the Autoroute.Unless it's moved, Chamonix to Geneva is Autoroute. Last time I was in the Chamonix valley there were lots of trees, can't say the same about Avoriaz though. Once you drop over towards Chatel/Pre la Joux etc there are lots of trees, but that's PdS. Agreed the VB probably won't be open based on the last few seasons patterns, but there is lots to see and do in Cham for a weekend visitor without joining the heroes stepping into their harnesses as dawn breaks at the Ag du Midi cable car. Laughing
snow report
snowbunny, last time I looked Les Linderettes was still in Avoriaz, plenty of trees there. Plus all the tree skiing in Morzine, Chatel, etc. I've done two seasons in Avoriaz and have never had any real problems with access, the only hiccups being the occasional delay on the journey up from morzine when fresh snow coincides with a peak weekend. The big advantage of Avoriaz/PdS is that you can ski from one area to the next very easily without having to waste time on buses.
snow report
thanks so much for all the info. For instance - didnt realise VB was not likely to be open in Jan... really fancied trying it (snowbunny - thought it was supposed to be fairly easy??) Will it be more likely to be open in March??
Ray - entirely agree about trying to get to Stanstead on a Fri eve... 'tis so annoying... Easyjet is so horribly expensive - but really convenient both coz it goes out of Gatwick and comes back late. ooo I hate making decisions - but then again - suppose it is a nice problem to have!! xx
snow conditions
jayne durham, regarding the VB, it's a question of whether there will have been enough snow to fill in the crevasses. not sure what "open" and "closed" means in the context of a high mountain itinerary like that. first time i skied it (1999) was in January
snow conditions
Arno, Last time I was up there in a January, the path on the ridge was about 3 feet wide, and no rope had been put up.One guy set off-alone.jayne durham, "Really easy" depends on how much you like walking along an exposed ridge wearing crampons and a climbing harness, roped to a guide, before you start skiing. The drop both sides is jaw dropping. And it's usually windy.And cold. The skiing can be easy, but as the glacier changes each year, last year there were reported to be some "tight turn" bits, where you must do exactly what your guide says. And you may have to walk out at the end of the glacier.
John Scott, Les Lindarets is on the Avoriaz sector lift pass, but so is half of Morzine, which definitely isn't in Avoriaz.
ski holidays
snowbunny, Why would you go to a PDS station as at least a reasonable skier and not buy a PDS pass? Does not compute (to me IMHO)
snow conditions
David Murdoch, You are quite right, but the debate is about Les Lindarets being in Avoriaz, which I don't believe is correct. The thread is aboutjayne durham, wanting to choose between Cham or Avoriaz, IMHO Chamonix has the edge all ways as it is a genuine vibrant year round town, not a few concrete tower blocks plonked on top of a cliff IMHO.
snow report
snowbunny, I see now - a question of whether the arrete is prepared or not. It was prepared the time I did it in January but it will depend on the season.
I'd go for Chamonix myself. Easier to get to (the drive up to Avoriaz is a bit tedious) and I prefer the skiing, although the whole Cham thing isn't everyone's cup of tea
ski holidays
jayne durham, From Turin to La Thuille is a couple of hours max, good road too. Straight through the tunnel brings you out in Chamonix if you insist on France. Can't remember the price of the tunnell. Would suggest a Turin flight rather than horrendous prices.
snow report
Cymru am Byth, Ryanair fly into Turin AFASIK, saw some really cheap prices last season.
snow conditions
jayne durham, I've never stayed in Avoriaz so shouldn't really comment, but Chamonix is a VERY special place and not really comparable to anywhere else I've been, particularly in France - the atmosphere of the town and mountain scenery puts it on a different level. Not sure if that's important to you of course....and there are obvious drawbacks when comparing to ski-in-ski-out purpose built resorts. But I can promise you, if you get great snow and weather in Chamonix, it will be the best ski holiday you've ever had.
ski holidays
jayne durham, Was wondering why you are restricted to Chamonix or Avoriaz, then I re-read the original psot about ski club friends to play with. There are so many good ski areas along the Autoroute Blanche, all within easy striking distance of GVA, it seems a shame you are restricted to just the two.

Take the restrictions away and I would chose Les Carroz for the Grand Massif or Les Contamines or St Gervais/Megeve for a long weekend. If I were to pick the PDS then Chatel would be my base of choice, in France.

CP
ski holidays
jayne durham, Was wondering why you are restricted to Chamonix or Avoriaz, then I re-read the original post about ski club friends to play with. There are so many good ski areas along the Autoroute Blanche, all within easy striking distance of GVA, it seems a shame you are restricted to just the two.

Take the restrictions away and I would select Les Carroz for the Grand Massif or Les Contamines or St Gervais/Megeve for a long weekend. If I were to pick the PDS then Chatel would be my base of choice, in France.

CP
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cymru am Byth, Ryanair now have Turin advertised at £15 one way in the national press.
latest report
CP wrote:
Take the restrictions away and I would select Les Carroz for the Grand Massif or Les Contamines or St Gervais/Megeve for a long weekend. If I were to pick the PDS then Chatel would be my base of choice, in France.

CP

In that case, why not stay in Switzerland? I ski a few weekends in Switzerland and it's fine.
latest report
ise, That's why I qualified my response 'in France'. I nearly mentioned the possibility of skiing on the Jura if the snow was low enough, but thought better of it - mind you it's only 20 minutes to Crozet from GVA, maybe not such a bad idea.

CP
ski holidays
ise, You have a big advantage over most snowHead , when you get up in the morning, you look out of the window and decide where to ski, which is wonderful. jayne durhamseems to have a tight spec to fulfill, decide between two destinations, all dependent on flights,traffic etc. I agree that their are many Swiss ski stations that would fulfill her requirements, but are they even under consideration. Perhaps you can do some influencing Cool
ski holidays
wow - so many replies - thanks to all..
Still dithering. Dont think my husband fancies spending a week all on his own - so really wants to ski with a ski club crowd. Picked Cham and Avoriaz coz of proximity to Geneva - and also found a brochure doing really cheap mid week to mid week appt deal for him (then there is no changeover on the Sat when I am going out!). However - the possibility of a cheap flight to Turin has opened up a whole new world!
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
ise, You have a big advantage over most snowHead , when you get up in the morning, you look out of the window and decide where to ski, which is wonderful. jayne durhamseems to have a tight spec to fulfill, decide between two destinations, all dependent on flights,traffic etc. I agree that their are many Swiss ski stations that would fulfill her requirements, but are they even under consideration. Perhaps you can do some influencing Cool

It's worth mentioning that stations like Verbier are reachable using the Swiss trains from Geneva of course. Plenty of Ski Club types in Verbier which is a good thing or not not depending on your perspective.
snow report
Chamonix can be a special place but unfortunately the whole world now knows this so for a weekend you will have bigs crowds in good weather and in bad weather it isn't really all that appealing as you are left with Les Houche, St Gervais, Les Contamine or Megeve if the weather has closed in on Grand Montet! These aren't bad resorts at all and are slightly nearer. You would still be stuck with the jam issue back to Geneva though

If you are committed you can outrun these crowds in the Chamonix valley but I don't think you will have the time for that.

Turin to Chamonix...hmmmmn...not sure about that, the new toll road makes a difference but it is not the most inspiring. It would be ok if you have a hire-care but without one I wouldn't consider it. The Mont Blanc tunnel would cost about 25-30 euros, I think ---can't realkly remember how much we paid... so might need to research that... But if you use Turin you might be able to meet in Courmayuer or La Thuile...The former you can do via the tunnel on public transport, I don't know about the latter. Italian buses on a sunday aren't to frequent in my experience tho'... I am assuming one of you will have car...

From Geneva, I would pick Flaine above Avoriaz for skiing. But to answer you question of Chamonix or Avoriaz for the weekend I would say Avoriaz.

Looking back at your question I would second Ise's choice of Verbier, 90 mins is the coach transfer time, good motorway and a very good ski area. I can live without the rest of Verbier so a long weekend sounds like the best of both worlds. In fact just mention Mont Gele and that would sell Verbier to me for a weekend.... In fact if he was a real good hubbie he would research a few gems in the valley and take you there.......

Phew, ...eventually...!!!!
snow report
Good point, Flaine is an excellent choice, they have a ski club rep don't they? I often see some loud bloke in an anorak talking nonsense Very Happy
ski holidays
ise, Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy