Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't walk up skinning tracks

Poster: A snowHead
DB wrote:
One solution might be to have a skin track and a snowshoe track. The separation of traffic on both makes it easier for the different methods of snow transport. Maybe one day you will change from snowshoes/boots to skining and will reap the benefits too (or tuther way round). It's basically down to the first snowshoer to be brave/considerate/gnarly (please delete as applicable) enough to put a new track that other snowshoers would use. This is a track he/she would have to put in if the ski tourer wasn't there first anyway. Live and let live/play.

At what point will we need roundabouts and traffic lights?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
Sun's trying to make an appearance now, not too sure what to do, don't think it's a touring day though!

enjoy no matter what !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="cp1000"]
Quote:

Quite - Last year I felt compelled to comment as Megamum was getting abused on here. Give it a rest chaps - megamum doesn't claim to be an expert, so if she gets something wrong, it is surely no big deal. I too wonder if there is a touch of sexism here. That aside, people could do well to remember that this is not an experts only forum, there is no exam to pass to post on here, so why don't you get off your high horses and give megamum a break!

FFS, when has anyone said it is an 'experts only' forum? Surely one of the main purposes of this place is to inform, educate and share knowledge?

No one minds anyone getting things wrong, but banging stubbornly on in the face of information that you yourself admit you don't have on a particular subject is probably likely to generate a bit of abuse.

While we're on the subject of abuse, I feel compelled to comment that your sexism slight makes you an utter retard. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamcham wrote:
At what point will we need roundabouts and traffic lights?

Probably shortly after the speed cameras are installed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB,

We already have speed bumps, except they're called moguls. Oops, forgot, they're only on piste Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think snowshoe tracks are a significant problem - I've only registered seeing a couple - they probably just take different routes. The OP didn't mention them so I don't know why Weathercam and rayscoops are on about them as though he, or any coplainer, did.

This is also only something which matters on steep traverses as everyone must have picked up on by now.

In general a track will probably be used only a handful of times - the point is to get away from other skiers. This thread is getting out of hand.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 8-03-11 11:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball wrote:
I don't think snowshoe tracks are a significant problem - I've only registered seeing a couple. The OP didn't mention them so I don't know why Weathercam and rayscoops are on about them as though he, or any coplainer, did.

snowball, I am just trying to understand who or why mountain users would walk up a skinning track, unless it was just off a lift somewhere Puzzled and if so what would some one be wearing on their feet to walk in and disturb such (off the beaten track?) skinning tracks ?

Alan McGregor wrote:
It is considered extremely poor form, if not down right rude, to walk up a skinning track.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bootpacking means just wearing ski boots and carrying your skis (or board). It is very hard for someone to boot-pack up a mountain unless the snow is quite hard because they sink in so much. It is a bit easier for them if they follow the zig-zag skinning tracks because the work has been partly done, but they still sink in much more than the skinners and destroy the track. Skinning a steep traverse is quite difficult and if the track has been walked on can become impossible as the skins can't grip on it.

There would be no point in skinning anywhere near a lift - you'd go up the lift. Skinning is to get you up places where there is no lift access. You probably won't cross a skinning track unless you have been skinning or snow-shoeing or boot-packing yourself.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 8-03-11 11:52; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What snowball said. Not everyone has AT bindings but many people want to get to nice fresh snow lines away from the lifts. Some see a skin track and think there's a double "benefit": "it's gotta lead somewhere interesting" and "hey, it's less effort to walk on the track than in the fresh snow".

I didn't see the OP as rude: in fact, some years ago I would not have known to avoid walking in skin tracks and I would have welcomed advice like that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why not just use landmines? They'd only do it once...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:
There would be no point in skinning anywhere near a lift - you'd go up the lift. Skinning is to get you up places where there is no lift access.

Try telling that to the countless number of folk skinning up Cairngorm at the weekend! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, horizon, so are you saying skiers will carry their skis on their back and walk for a few hours up the zig zag traverse skin tracks in ski boots rather than a more direct route in snowshoes ? are there tourers who do this ? if that is the case then no amount of the suggestion of etiquette will put them off ... because the are clearly mad as a box of frogs Little Angel

edit - just re-read the post so this is not what we are talking about - or are we are talking about a quick romp up the hill for 10 minutes having just got off an adjacent and very public lift ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oz5000, Head..... wall...... ouch.... and repeat... wink

cp1000 wrote:
... I too wonder if there is a touch of sexism here.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, No, we are talking about, perhaps, 20 or 30 minutes or, at most an hour walk. The sort of thing I do sometimes if the snow is hard or too steep to skin.
Proper touring is only done by proper tourers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So do we all agree on a skin track, a ski boot track, a snowboarder boot track, a snowshoe track and a cartwheel track?
snow report
DB, I think we need a corpse dragging track for this thread Very Happy
ski holidays
This was taken in La Plagne near the top of the Cretes drag. In the distance is Mont Jovet. It took perhaps half an hour to skin up that wide shoulder catching the sunlight. There were a couple of others on touring gear but by far the majority were just booting up. I think they were skiing on to Bozel.

And this is the route South from the Refuge Fond des Fours in the Vanoise National Park. Note the snowboarder on snowshoes. He caused no damage because the track was like a motorway but I'm not sure how he managed later on.

snow report
shoogly wrote:
snowball wrote:
There would be no point in skinning anywhere near a lift - you'd go up the lift. Skinning is to get you up places where there is no lift access.

Try telling that to the countless number of folk skinning up Cairngorm at the weekend! Very Happy

They must be mad (or so poor they can't afford a lift pass).
latest report
kitenski, that looks like a route I lapped a couple of times the other day. There's always good snow to ski, for just 25 mins of effort from the lift. Two skiers were booting it (though they never made it the whole way) making such deep holes that sections were quite tricky to skin along afterwards - so I'd entirely agree that the etiquette of not trashing tracks should be upheld.
There are plenty of people on here who have suggested that beginners shouldn't be skiing black runs (spoiling it for people wanting to go fast) even if in principle they accept that the mountains - in Europe, at least - are spaces that everyone is free to enjoy, get themselves killed in, whatever. People with skins are simply like those skiing black runs competently: they're the ones who have the technique and equipment to enjoy the areas beyond the domain. Anything else - snowshoes, or ski- or snowboard- booting - is like being a beginner on a black run (and a lot more tiring). That's nothing against snowshoers or snowboarders - some of my best friends have ridden lifts with snowboarders - it's just a statement of fact that the most efficient human-powered way around the mountains in winter is on skis with skins. Around here, in a snow-drought year, skins mean I can ski fresh powder every day, pretty much. No, I haven't tried touring on a board, but I have spent a week touring with a very fit competent split-boarder and saw for myself what a handicap it was.
snow report
DB wrote:
a cartwheel track?
Yes, of course, but they might object to sharing with lowly somersaulters. Backflippers and mountain pole-vaulters probably wouldn't use the same parts of the mountain anyway.

I'm sure the College of Pataphysics must have published something about this problem.
ski holidays
rayscoops, certainly I have been on tracks this year where there was damage was caused by boarders - tagging along I'd guess otherwise you'd expect them to bootpack directly up. This does cause problems on steeper bits as the bootholes in the tracks reduce the available surface for skins to grip.
latest report
It's funny how many people's noses are bent out of joint because they are being asked to be a little more thoughtful about how they behave in the ''great outdoors''. Surely it's just a matter of being more considerate to other people out there. Having grown up in X-country skiing family, I have it ingrained that walking on ski tracks is wrong. I would never do it, unless there was no other way. I don't really see why skinning tracks should be any different.

But hey that's just me. I will also never cross a tarmac road on skis, as such blatant lack of respect for your bases would have attracted swift paternal wrath in my youth, despite the objective reality that I do way more damage to my base skiing rocky off-piste, than would be ever possible by walking on skis on any kind of gravelled surface. And if I see other people doing it, I still cringe involuntarily Smile
snow report
oz5000 said...

Quote:

While we're on the subject of abuse, I feel compelled to comment that your sexism slight makes you an utter retard.

You will have to try harder than that! There are many (mentally / physically) disabled people that I find amazing and inspirational, so I find your attempt at abuse pretty weak snowHead
snow conditions
Fifteen all...

New balls at the end of this game...
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, please no, I'm not coming back to this thread if there is any more like that.
I think it is played out anyway - things are just having to be repeated for (or by) those who didn't read the other pages.
snow report
snowball, Agreed. They should all get out and ski more.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Just been reading this thread again and having a chuckle after what I've encountered over the last couple of days!

Hold on old chap - the next thing, you'll be suggesting we all take our dogs skiing with us - whatever next ?
snow conditions
Quote:

There are plenty of people on here who have suggested that beginners shouldn't be skiing black runs (spoiling it for people wanting to go fast)

Actually, I don't think that's true - there aren't "plenty of people" who have suggested that. And any attempt to suggest that only skiers on skins have a right to be in certain areas is likely to prompt otherwise quite courteous and considerate people to leap up and down on your skinning tracks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
... likely to prompt otherwise quite courteous and considerate people to leap up and down on your skinning tracks.

Laughing Laughing Do I hear strains of the 'Locomotion' again?
ski holidays
VamP, there is a big difference between a pisted xc track and a skin trail put in by some random in a busy part of the hill.
ski holidays
kevindonkleywood wrote:
VamP, there is a big difference between a pisted xc track and a skin trail put in by some random in a busy part of the hill.

Why would you be skinning in a busy part??!!
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
kevindonkleywood wrote:

Why would you be skinning in a busy part??!!

The track is busy in that lots of people use it. e.g. First part of track from a resort or car park that leads to many routes. It generally gets packed down hard and so isn't too much of an issue.
ski holidays
snowball, I do not think anything has been repeated, Alan McGregor made two posts on the subject and from those it was and still is unclear exactly what the circumstances are/were that annoys him except from 'skinning tracks', is it skiers, boarders, general walkers etc who are the culprits who should be educated, is it tracks near lifts or ones out in the wilderness etc ?.

It is wishful to think that skinning tracks from the top of lifts (as a starting point to gain access to non lift serviced areas) will be respected when maybe it is the start point for tens or even a hundred people per day to launch in to the general wider back country type area, however when the people thin out and maybe head off in separate directions then maybe these tracks should become more respected. The photo above shows a flat areas that seems to be effectively the shortest route to the next/distant off piste area - almost like path really which I think people may naturally follow whether on skis or walking, which is very different to a steep vertical climb whereby the skinners are zig zagging up and a boot on that track would sink in and spoil it, although as agreed by Alan McGregor it would be doubtful that any one would follow this zig zag route unless they were on skis. If you want to educate people to have respect to informal etiquette then clarity is required imho and it has naturally taken a bit of time to get here

edit - when people talk about 'skinning' I think about steep tracks etc and yes it is easy to understand that having these damaged would be a pain and shows a lack of respect, but long flat traverses where you would find as many people with or without skis on their feet is a different matter perhaps
ski holidays
This dog was prepared to make his own tracks.

snow conditions
achilles, life is so uncomplicated for dogs ... food, snow, shag, sleep Very Happy
latest report
kevindonkleywood wrote:

There is a difference. But as I explained, I would have a real sense of *wrongness* if I was tramping over a trail that had a purpose, and by tramping on it I was reducing it's suitability for that purpose.

Just my point of view.
ski holidays
rayscoops, Whilst the OP was... slightly tetchy... it has since been explained very clearly and it is difficult not to feel that some people are being rather obtuse.

But for the hard-of-reading...

1) Skinning tracks are not XC tracks, and are not on or usually near pisted areas except at their very start.
2) They are typically from the top of a lift system, or the edge of a piste climbing away rapidly to access an area of off-piste skiing.
3) They do not go to places where people with no off-piste skills would wish to go.
4) They are made by skiers using AT (touring) or Telemark gear, or split-boards/access skis and go up in a zig-zag fashion. and will be at one side of a snow field if the intent is to ski back down that fiel.
5) A new track in deep soft snow takes a hell of an effort to make.
6) The tracks will usually go up as steeply as the terrain and grip from skins will allow.
7) The limiting factor of grip from skins is at least partly dependent on surface area available as steepness increases
8} Things which reduce the surface area of snow in contact with the skins - such as large boot holes in the track - can make the skinning track much more difficult to use.
9) If there is no new snowfall and not much wind a track may stay in places for sometime.
10) The track is not the natural line for a snowboarder or skier without skins to bootpack (walk) up, they would usually go more directly.
11) However some numpties might just want to tag along or follow their friends up the same line. This does not help those who follow because of 6) - 8}.
12) This is not about who "owns" terrain, but about simple consideration and politeness towards other future users.
ski holidays
clarky999, I was trying to understand why too but thats the way i read the OP
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:

12) This is not about who "owns" terrain, but about simple consideration and politeness towards other future users.

Aaaaaaaand in a nutshell. Smile
ski holidays
you know what if everyone was considerate and stayed away from off piste altogether....................
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy