Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't walk up skinning tracks

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum wrote:

I think the majority of Joe/Josephine Public would not know that others 'relied' on them.

The majority oF Joe/Josephine Public do not go a long way off piste climbing up a mountain without a guide.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, In that case who is wrecking these special trails? If someone has a guide surely they would explain what they are that they should be avoided.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, folk without skins who want access to fresh(er) snow....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ohh..........I see other skiers carrying skis and walking.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
or boarders
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't go on those kind of open touring routes but would certainly make a big effort not to mess up cut tracks on cross country ski trails. I did feel bad when I had a huge crash and my bum wiped out a metre of so of track - but that wasn't deliberate.

I have made fresh snow shoe tracks in deep snow and yes, it is very hard work. Satisfying, though, and I'm only ever out for an hour or two of exercise and enjoyment, not actually trying to get anywhere in particular.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, don't know why, but that immediately threw up this mental image.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Amazing the amount of controversy this thread is generating.

Couple of people had it right further above. It's a question of etiquette, and if someone who starts venturing offpiste didn't know, they should be happy that someone is posting the info here.

I always felt that things change when you're off the beaten path in the mountain, summer or winter. With far fewer people around comes a lot more unspoken solidarity / understanding. If you're heading that way, why not keep it that way.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
horizon, well...................I think there is no harm in a little education.

I have spotted the piste basher machine-made cross country tracks from chair lifts. They look a clearly 'purposefully manuafactured' thing and as such I wouldn't even consider going anywhere near them.

However, until this thread, if I had been venturing off piste and had of seen a sets of tracks across a location that were clearly man made I would have just thought - 'Oh, someone has been here before me 'and would have probably thought nothing of following approx. the same route for ease without a thought that I was wrecking something that had been 'purposefully made' unless there had been a sign posted that said, 'please don't disturb' which clearly isn't going to happen. Unless you have an awareness of their existence I don't think it would occur to me that said 'man-made track' could or would want be 're-used' and hadn't just been made by a single party wanting to get from A to B as a one off event.

AFAIK it is also the first time the subject has come up on SH's since I have been posting, so I have learned something from the thread, but I wonder how many people would follow the same train of thought to my previous knowledge without being informed otherwise?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, Laughing Maybe some sub-conscious association with "heffalump"?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, I think the OP was directed at people who actually do skin up mountains, but are thoughtless. Like you, I wouldn't have known anything about all this, for the simple reason that I'm not in that sort of terrain in the first place. My views on the whole subject are therefore irrelevant (though I was curious to know how such a track could be identified.)

pam w, no, no! I was just thinking of walking in circles in the snow. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

This gives a better idea of the sort of situation where one might be annoyed to have a track messed up. It was only a relatively short skin up from the lift in touring terms (about an hour) but led to a big valley with no tracks over the top. (I think this photo was taken by Zeb, our guide - you can faintly see his tracks up, on the left - after a kick turn the the skier in shot has to do next). Zig-zag ski tracks going uphill could really only be a skinning track. That could be an earlier boot track crossing it, but more likely an animal track (chamois or bouquetin?) since I don't remember any human tracks before ours.
(Sella Ronda)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 4-03-11 17:30; edited 8 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
my bum wiped out a metre of so of track

Shocked Does your bum look big in that! Laughing Laughing Laughing (sorry, but that really made me laugh.... Embarassed )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, that's a beautiful photo. maggi, Laughing My OH said it looked very amusing from behind, though he did then need to splodge across to pick up the tracks the other side.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John wrote:
Megamum, there's a certain amount of etiquette to observe. Same as cutting neat lines in vigin powder. If everyone kept close to tracks already made then the fresh stuff is kept fresh for longer......

Tight lines

ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
AFAIK it is also the first time the subject has come up on SH's since I have been posting, so I have learned something from the thread, but I wonder how many people would follow the same train of thought to my previous knowledge without being informed otherwise?

I think some of us would have read the thread more carefully and took the time to fully understand it before deciding to pitch in..

Megamum wrote:
....with a bit of Devil's Advocate here..... wink

on a subject we clearly didn't understand. wink
snow report
Megamum wrote:
However, until this thread, if I had been venturing off piste and had of seen a sets of tracks across a location that were clearly man made I would have just thought - 'Oh, someone has been here before me 'and would have probably thought nothing of following approx. the same route for ease without a thought that I was wrecking something that had been 'purposefully made'
In the main skinning tracks are going to be quite some distance off-piste, and if you're booting uphill to find some nice snow I'd like to think it implies at least a little bit of knowledge of off-piste skiing and therefore some idea of what skinning is.
latest report
This thread reminded me to look at some video footage - which I am not going to post as there is about 30mins of it - of the best run I have had in this (now finished for me) season.

Engelberg January - upto the top of the Jochstock express, bootpack a bit, traverse a bit, bootpack a bit more then skin for about 50 minutes.

Then 25 minutes of powder based fun - out of sight/sound of lifts and other skiers. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Not saying I want to skin more than an hour or two more than once or twice a week - but for those who haven't tried it, there is a certain zen like calm which comes with even the uphill portion. When you know you can ski powder and variable snow, it is well worth a go.
snow conditions
Well said Schuss in Boots! Laughing
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, sshhhh! There's enough people doing that now without you going advertising its advantages! We're having to skin further and further now to get those good clean lines. This week we had a 4 hour skin and someone had already got there before us (OK, fair dues, we had seen their line down the couloir before we started out). Fortunately though we weren't the group behind us that tried to take a slightly more direct line up and got taken out by an avalanche Sad . (AFAIK they were OK, but were evaced by a heli - this was above Valmorel on Weds)
snow conditions
Aha, still at it I see, GrahamN.

I go out again in 5 days but with 40 and then 50cm new snow in the last few days and more in prospect in a week or so, hopefully won't need to do any walking so protracted (if any).
latest report
I don't agree that I shouldn't have 'pitched in'. If a thread like this is only subscribed to by 'experts' then it only gets discussed in 'expert' terms, i.e. everyone already has understanding and the conversation is prone to occur at a level that teaches nothing to someone outside that circle. If you have the (I think I'm going to say) 'guts' (particularly knowing what sort of reaction it often gets) to ask a question, that clearly isn't based on prior knowledge or understandin,g at the very least it often drops the conversation to a level that become more understandable to those outside the 'elite circle'. As has often been discussed on SH's, if 'experts' want to have an 'experts only' conversation then I think they ought to create themselves an 'experts only' board to have those discussions in - and a 'dry' old place I bet that would be!.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 5-03-11 23:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Megamum, I agree, keep asking your questions, if no-one questioned anything we wouldn't get anywhere!!
ski holidays
Megamum, I agree (so long as people ask questions and remain civil, and I've never known you not to be). This isn't TGV
snow report
kitenski, +1 The OP makes a reasonable request - snowHead takes an interest - gets slagged off.

Normal service for site - a few with their heads up their ars*s think they own it Laughing
latest report
Megamum, I don't have a problem with you asking questions - in fact I completely agree that you should be freely able to - as should we all. My point was that you expressed an opinion on something you clearly didn't understand.

In fact, you asked a question in the opening line of your very first post, a good one. But you didn't bother to wait for an answer which would have enlightened you to the fact that you were barking up the wrong tree from the off. You then went on to post an opinion (based on your incorrect assumption) and then later decided to play 'Devil's Advocate' (sic) - all whilst still remaining unaware of the type of tracks to which the thread was referring.

Being an 'expert' has nothing to do with this - surely it's a matter of pure manners to ensure that you understand the thread before posting an opinion (that's posting an opinion - not to be confused with posting a question). So let's not try throwing that old chestnut out of the pram eh? wink

Maybe I'm a lone voice, but I personally find it rather irritating - and I don't think anyone would consider me even close to being either a) an 'expert' or b) a member of the 'elite circle'.
snow report
Schuss in Boots, By the next post below my first in this thread I was aware of and understood what was being discussed - pictures were posted, and understanding rapidly followed. All further postings were with that knowledge and I stand by what I put in them. I might respectfully suggest that you have not read and followed the thread.

In any event I am as entitled to post an 'opinion' (if that is what you are going to call it), right or wrong though it might be, as you are. If you are 'irritated' by that then I am sorry, but I don't think your 'irritation' is my problem. In fact your 'irritiation' is probably as a result of YOUR opinion of what I put. Now, I might be a lone voice, but whether or not I find your response 'irritating' is entirely up to me, but I am going to 'politely' not say one way or another wink

A. I don't think at any point I stated that the OP was wrong,
B. I was not the only one that didn't comprehend what the OP was going on about, and
C. some posters categorically seemed to think that the OP was definitely being somewhat 'elitist' in what they had put and were not hesitant in making that feeling known.

I was trying to explore the subject and gain understanding along the way, both aims were accomplished and from the sounds of the responses above I don't think those in the 'know' took too much offence - I was carefull (as I do try to be) to try not not to cause any.

To the three posters above you: snowHead Cool
latest report
Schuss in Boots, tbf, she does have a disclaimer in her sig wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, sorry, but are you a comedy character or are you for real?
snow conditions
So is it terribly bad form to leave tracks in powder like mine:

S
S
S
S
S
c
S
S

If so, I apologise to all and sundry.
snow report
Quote:

Megamum, sorry, but are you a comedy character or are you for real?

..a bit harsh that. Those who read snowheads a lot will recognise Megamum's style - either charmingly or irritatingly naive depending on your mood/point of view. I tend towards the former opinion and can't help thinking that she gets a lot of abuse because of her name - "Megamum". If someone called, say, "Jake" who was based in, say "Colorado", posted the same kind of questions I don't think "he" would get the same kind of responses as Megamum does...
latest report
Quote:

They have now built an igloo urinal at the top of the Grands Montets in Chamonix because it was getting so disgusting up there.

It's not a urinal!!
snow report
Quote:

I tend towards the former opinion and can't help thinking that she gets a lot of abuse because of her name - "Megamum". If someone called, say, "Jake" who was based in, say "Colorado", posted the same kind of questions I don't think "he" would get the same kind of responses as Megamum does...

Quite - Last year I felt compelled to comment as Megamum was getting abused on here. Give it a rest chaps - megamum doesn't claim to be an expert, so if she gets something wrong, it is surely no big deal. I too wonder if there is a touch of sexism here. That aside, people could do well to remember that this is not an experts only forum, there is no exam to pass to post on here, so why don't you get off your high horses and give megamum a break!

There, I will get off my high horse now and go soak my muscles which are quite tired after a long day doing fantastic laps of the Argentiere glacier. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1361850/snowshoeing-in-skin-tracks
snow report
One solution might be to have a skin track and a snowshoe track. The separation of traffic on both makes it easier for the different methods of snow transport. Maybe one day you will change from snowshoes/boots to skining and will reap the benefits too (or tuther way round). It's basically down to the first snowshoer to be brave/considerate/gnarly (please delete as applicable) enough to put a new track that other snowshoers would use. This is a track he/she would have to put in if the ski tourer wasn't there first anyway. Live and let live/play.
ski holidays
Alan McGregor wrote:
Just for those of you who have not been told ...

It is considered extremely poor form, if not down right rude, to walk up a skinning track.

Well, just how rude can an opening post be! Shocked .

A "please" in the thread title and an explanation, before a polite request, would probably have resulted in a completely different (and shorter rolling eyes ) thread where everyone was in agreement.
snow report
maggi, +1 on that.

Just a case of I'm more important than you and my sport should be given priority on the hill.

Likemaggi, says manners cost nothing and are more likely to result in people having some consideration.
snow conditions
Just been reading this thread again and having a chuckle after what I've encountered over the last couple of days!

Out here in Serre Ch and it's still holiday season and the place is packed. Only did one morning on the piste and called it a day and in the afternoon took the dog for her first ski tour (see dog ski tour thread) and the Mrs for her first time on skins even though she's done a fair amount of vertical in the past with snowshoes carrying a snowboard.

Where we left from is one of the main starting points, so you don't just get hard core tourers but every man woman and dog starting out for what could be just a Sunday afternoon walk and the trail was just a mash mess of tracks. It was not a problem.

After 45 mins or so so it was not so bad, and once the angle of attack became steeper so the snowshoes kept to their tracks and the skiers in theirs.

This is what I can't understand about this thread, once you're skinning be it hard early morning ice / snow or powder the route a ski tourer takes is way different to someone on snowshoes where it matters ie in steeper terrain - a ski tourer will traverse the slope at an uphill angle on their edges making tracks, a snowshoer can not follow in these tracks due to the adverse camber, it's just too uncomfortable for them as my Mrs can testify, even a split boarder can not follow as their skis are too wide!

So I really think that the opening post was bitching for bitching's sake!

Yesterday was quite interesting as some people have asked the question why are their not different tracks for snowshoers and x-country etc?

We went up to the Col D'Izoard see http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/weekone.html and the route follows the road that in the summer is full of bikes doing one of the classic climbs. Where it leaves from is a very popular X-country centre, and like downhill x-country has varying degrees of piste classification from easy (flat) to hard (steep) etc

So there is a 8km piste in effect all the way up on one side of the snow covered road and that is divided by a ridge of snow and on that side is where walkers and snow shoers go, even with signs telling you!

To miss out on taking the road you can in effect cut the hairpins out by taking a more direct route through the trees and this really was a mish mash of tracks, even when it was steep as so many people had been up it.

Once up at the refuge to get to the Col you either carried on the road/piste or followed tracks, by then it was powder and again the ski tourers took a different route to snow shoes. And coming down was able to lay some sweet tracks of the right sort Smile
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
... a ski tourer will traverse the slope at an uphill angle on their edges making tracks ...

At a small resort I go to, there is a large part of the mountain that can be seen from almost every where and I quite often watch with interest (over a coffee from the balcony) an early morning group of lonely skiers skinning up the mountain (no doubt to drop over the peak to the other side which is not accessed by lifts) in zig zag traverse formation, so when I read this thread I wondered whether (as a snowboarder) I would take the same route in snowshoes, and to be honest unless there was some compelling argument I could not envisage doing so. Perhaps if I was the only boarder with the group of skiers maybe I would tag along at the end and mess the track up ?

Do skiers skin up the mountain in a straight line on shallow parts mountains ? is this what the OP is on about ?
ski holidays
When it's not so steep then skiers will go straight up, a touring binding will have three heel lift settings that will enable you to skin up ever increasing steepness if that makes sense, then once you can't skin up straight you revert to traversing across the slope and have to then kick turn to go back on yourself.

I toured with a snowboard for around ten years along with mates on skis, first with snowshoes and then I had mini approach skis so I could follow in the their tracks. On the snowshoes we'd pretty well always take a different route to the skiers, as I've said a couple of times before is at lower altitude on the invariable approach path that always seems to exist that we were together. Once out on the "face" then we'd cross the skiers tracks as we went straight and they zigzagged across.

Reason I changed to approach skis was that using a heart rate monitor I could see the difference between hiking on snow shoes and gliding on skins!

Sun's trying to make an appearance now, not too sure what to do, don't think it's a touring day though!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 8-03-11 9:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy