Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots/fitting question

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

We're currently out in Samoens for another wonderful week on the snow!
I've noticed a slight issue with my boots - they feel fine, almost too tight, in the morning, but after a couple of hours skiing they feel like they're hanging off my feet!
I didn't notice this with them when we were here in January, and I spent most of my time skiing by myself (OH did his knee in on Boxing Day!). I wonder if the fact I'm putting more effort into my skiing could cause this - I've been having lessons with ESF this week, and have been skiing on almost entirely red pistes.

I would do them up tighter, but they're on the last notch! I could possibly ease them a little tighter with the twisting of the buckles, and I will give this a try tomorrow, but they're loose enough that it might not be enough.

Firstly, what would be the most likely cause of this loosening?
Secondly, would zipfits "fix" this problem? (I seriously considered getting some before this trip, but my boots were in France with no way of getting them back to the UK)

Many thanks in advance,

Laura
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Silly question, but are they the right size?

I once got some boots when i first started out and they were 3 sizes too big for me! I went for comfort and they felt great when i first put them on. After a couple of hours they went really loose and i could take my foot out of them without having to un do the buckles!

I went from first having a 29.5 to a 26.5!!

A general rule is your toe should "touch" the front of the boots when you put them on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're definitely the right size lengthwise - tried a size smaller and felt like someone was trying to eat my toes! Even when they feel "big" it's widthwise, not length. When I first started last year I think I had a 27.5 hire boot because I didn't realise they were meant to be so tight! I'm now in a 25.5, and my feet are a UK size 7.5/8 (and even when "loose" I still have to wrestle them off!)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This bit;

adamantis wrote:
I would do them up tighter, but they're on the last notch!

Makes it sound like they aren't the right fit for you. Possibly too wide?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can you move the buckles over? Most ski boots these days have the option to remove the buckles and replace them further across for a tighter fit?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Grab a bootfitter some where and get them to take a peak. Sounds like there are plenty of probs to be addressed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would feel less miffed by the situation if I hadn't had them fitted (S&R), and had custom footbeds made. Perils of my first set of boots, I guess, but I can't help but think someone in the store might have pointed out if they weren't a good fit (when they recommended them!).
Expensive error, I guess!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thought I'd best clarify with the fact that they felt nice and tight in the shop, but were on the last but one clip - I thought that one more would be more than sufficient, and it obviously isn't!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adamantis, That's how the makers want them to feel, it's all in the liner, if left to try on boots in a shop you will never buy right, the correct boot out of the box will feel, well, like someone is biting your toes. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smallzookeeper, at a rough guess is it likely to be fixable with something like zipfits, or am I realistically looking at a new set of boots for next season? It gets quite scary by the end of the day when it feels like my skis are "following" half an inch or so behind my foot movements!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also, with the length thing, I seem to remember him making me try on the next shell size down (just the shell) and my big toe was scrunched a bit, so it wouldn't have worked even with a microthin liner?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like a high volume boot on a skinny foot. Go to a proper bootfitter.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
adamantis, a new liner won't fix it properly imo(and is expensive anyway), new boots I'm afraid probably. You might be able to sell on the old ones.....and the footbed would come with you to the new boots so isn't a total loss.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have you got chicken legs? Happy

Also as your female your gonna get some heel lift if they haven't but a heel wedge in your custom liner.

Are your boots female specific boots, what make and model are they? If not, this could also be the case as us blokes have bigger calves.

As hazardtape said, maybe you could move the buckles over. All you need is a number 3 allen key and some patience as it can be a little fiddley!

Snow and rock should have a boot fit guarantee so you could take em back with a frustrated face and tell them you want the problem sorted!

EB do this and are very good. I've took my footbeds in a few times and they have sorted them out FOC.

Let us know how it goes, I'm intrigued!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have you tried thicker socks?
snow report
Zip Fit are fine, but are not a volume reducer, they are designed for better transmission and precise fit, for sure this is what your looking for, but are a little expensive to just be used to fill up alot of space. DB has said what I guess needs saying.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy