Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First timer drive to Alps - snow chains lowdown please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I can't believe snowsox would be significantly faster

Hopefully someone that has used them will come and tell us, I also seenm to recall that snowsox wear out very quickly, but that was before the French and German/Austrians approved them for use.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought Snowsox for my New Year trip but didn't need to use them, even though it had snowed (4WD Audi A6 on UK tyres).

I had no choice with my car as only Snowsox can be fitted due to the position/size of the sports suspension dampers. In the end, 4WD was more than sufficient for driving around the Tignes area.

Their website has a video of a young lady fitting them and it does take seconds.

You must take them off when you get to clean tarmac or I am told they last 30-50 miles max.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Their website has a video of a young lady fitting them and it does take seconds.

I don't take me much longer than that to fit chains. In fact, given that you'd need to get back in the car to drive it forward, there's not a lot in it. A couple of minutes at most, not (as I said above) significant. But that is with a decent set of chains and plenty of practice.

I do think, though, that a set of autosox that you will actually get out and use at the first hint of trouble, rather than chains which you put off using till all is lost, has a lot to commend it. I drove up a very snowy road (in chains, on top of snow tyres) one time, behind a car with autosox, and it seemed to be doing fine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quite a few XC90s that I have seen in snow do not have suitable tyres - low profile with limited tread will not help so as others say I would get the chains here , try them on and you will be fine.

Do bring a shovel . Bumboards are good for clearing heavy snow off the car itself !

In years of driving to the Alps I have never had to use chains ( but have a 4WD with Mud and Snow tyres ).

Have fun.

John
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just bought some new snow chains for my new XC90 which has bigger wheels than the old XC90 (argh) so I have the old ones going spare which I could lend/sell to you. I'll just go and check what sizes they fit on and post back.
Whereabuts in London are you? And when do you need them. We are setting of tomorrow to French Alps, back next Saturday.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
THey will fit:
265/70-15
750-15
9-15
235/80-16
245/70-16
245/75-16
255/65-16
700-16
235/65-17
255/60-17
205/75-17.5
215/75-17.5
8-17.5
235/60-18
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1 st time I went I bought Klack and Go chains becuase could not get cheaper ones to fit my tyres. I was told not to wait for France as I might struggle as suggested in some post above. If you are driving a standard Renault I imagine it would be no problem.

Couldn't be bothered to practice, didn't think I'd need them.... I did. Fortunately they are quite easy, 1st one took 20 minutes cursing and swearing, second about 3 minutes.

Now I always pack them, useful in the UK this year! I put them where I can get at them, with gloves next to them (because I am not quick enough to avoid frost bite, you can buy surgical gloves at Halfords now, great for car maintenence) and a torch as well!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New to SH, not new to driving in the mountains. I am really puzzled at the comments about chains being quicker to put on than take off. It literally takes 10 seconds per wheel to take them off. About a minute per wheel to put them on.

I will be driving to Val d'Isere on March 19th, and am planning to buy a set of chains in France. Just a lot easier to buy them there, pretty much all petrol garages sell them, as well as supermarkets, and they are way cheaper. My other sets are in Prague where I used to live, so that's tricky to get hold of them. I will be keeping summer tyres on the car, as the cost does not justify the potential upside for this one trip only. I am well aware of the benefits of winter tyres however and plan on getting them for next winter, it's just with it being a new car (to me) and time constraints it does not make sense to get them now. Driving to the Tarantaise in March, you are extremely unlikely to need chains except for the last couple of miles, if you put chains on then you have way more grip on your front than with winter tyres. The rear can be a bit loose, but if you're used to driving in snow, then that won't make any significant difference over having winter tyres on the rear.

One thing to be aware of is that with some 4WD systems the advice is to put chains on all 4 wheels, as the difference in traction can activate the traction control, meaning you're going nowhere. Not sure about the XC90, but I think it has the Haldex system, in which case you'll be allright. My old X5 was a bug in this regard as snow chains on front only always resulted in engine cutting power. Luckily it hardly ever needed chains (winter tyres).

Finally, if you have never put chains on, then it's well worth the premium you'll pay to buy them in the UK and practice. If you know your way with chains then buy them in France. Best piece of advice you can give about chains is to put them on BEFORE you need them, preferrably in a nice layby. Putting them on once you're in a snowdrift is a mission!

@pam w - I also do it bare handed, it is much easier. I am not sure about the 20mph top speed. I used to drive up to about 50mph with mine on. It is also possible to drive for short distances on tarmac with chains on, but it's not great for the chains or tyres, and you really need to slow right down. But sometimes it's the best option.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I used to drive up to about 50mph with mine on.

I remember finding that 50 mph was sometimes an optimum speed to drive across corrugated roads in Africa - driving at 30 was hell, much noisier and rougher, and the distances to cover were large. Can believe that it's sometimes possible with chains on, but never had the nerve to try. Anyway, when I've had to use chains, it's on the sort of roads, and in the sort of conditions, when 50 mph would be criminally fast. (That's probably why the idiot Cayenne driver ended up in the snowdrift).

Mostly you only need chains for a few miles - typically up from the main valley road. It's very annoying to have to break open a new set of chains just for a few miles, but if the alternative is sitting there for a day or so, it usually seems worth it!

My new chains are usually quick to take off - they have an "instant pull" thing that undoes the clip behind the wheel. However, that sometimes sticks, then it's a right pain and my hands are not very strong. The other problem is that the ratchet can be very stiff. And obviously you normally have to drive off them, as at least one bit will be right under the wheel.

Chains are really not a big issue when you're used to them, but they ARE a big issue when people are new to them (I remember doing one very snowy journey when neither I, nor my sister, had the slightest idea how to put them on and we felt very guilty and girly and stupid - and lucky to make it without them, thanks to the miraculous road holding of the Focus). I have helped some folk who were at their wits end with them, and very stressed. It is worth some forward planning to avoid that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I used to drive up to about 50mph with mine on.

I remember finding that 50 mph was sometimes an optimum speed to drive across corrugated roads in Africa - driving at 30 was hell, much noisier and rougher, and the distances to cover were large. Can believe that it's sometimes possible with chains on, but never had the nerve to try. Anyway, when I've had to use chains, it's on the sort of roads, and in the sort of conditions, when 50 mph would be criminally fast. (That's probably why the idiot Cayenne driver ended up in the snowdrift).

I probably should have qualified my comment about top speed with ''when it's otherwise safe to do so''. Obviously that assumes straight road and good consistent snow cover and little traffic. In the Czech Republic, it would not be unusual to drive from one resort to another over considerable distance on good roads with solid snow cover, and it just made sense to keep the chains on for the duration.

You are quite right, there are speeds when the vibrations increase and then 10mph above that they almost disappear, so typically you'd end up finding the sweet spot of minimum noise and travel at that speed.

One additional comment that applies to all snow driving, is being aware that your stopping distance is constantly variable, depending on the state of snow or ice you're travelling over. Really cold snow (-5 and below) actually has really good grip, whereas warm snow or slush can be more slippery than ice. It is good practice to keep checking how much grip you have at any one point so as to adjust your speed accordingly. Probably more relevant to driving in Scandinavia, Central Europe or Canada than the French Alps though, as you are quite right to point out that you are rarely required to drive on snow for longer than a few miles there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

warm snow or slush can be more slippery than ice.

I discovered that, rather to my surprise, when I failed to get up a very moderate incline with four new snow tyres, after a typical "April shower" of heavy, wet, snow. It was a useful lesson to learn as I'd become rather blasé about the ability of my snow tyres to get me anywhere, and then had to stop on the road to put the chains on (behind somebody else doing exactly the same thing - both of us very nervous that a snowplough would be round the bend towards us any minute). That's perhaps one of the most likely scenarios for needing chains on a late-season holiday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
I had to pull a Porsche Cayenne out of a snowdrift with my Fiat Multipla. Had to put the chains on before trying - with snowtyres I had enough traction for myself, but not for him as well.

Brought a smile to my face. I bet it ruined his day. Very Happy

Thanks Pam
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I bet it ruined his day.

He was French. he had asked us to call out the breakdown truck from the village - to which we were heading. that would have cost him a bit and ruined his day a bit more, I guess. We were laughing afterwards (we were quite good about not laughing during....) and wondered what he went home and told his wife (not the truth, probably). A contribution to the entente cordiale.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tizzyb wrote:
I've just bought some new snow chains for my new XC90 which has bigger wheels than the old XC90 (argh) so I have the old ones going spare which I could lend/sell to you. I'll just go and check what sizes they fit on and post back.
Whereabuts in London are you? And when do you need them. We are setting of tomorrow to French Alps, back next Saturday.

Wow - that is very generous - we'd love to borrow them. Thank you. Would return them with copious wine and chocolate. I need to check the size of our tyres too and also we are off next Friday so is it possible to collect them from a neighbour perhaps? We are SE15 - south east London. Your postcode?

Just need to figure out now how to do private message on the fruitful forum...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy