Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff Vs Whistler, seriously.... which is best?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It seems to be a tough choice between banff and whistler, but I need some help based on my circumstances and personality, so any advice would be great!

Im 23, girl, single, snowboarder. Got my visa sorted for next year 2011/2012 through Bunac and am starting to work out where I want to go. I've lived in london for 4 years, but am a country girl at heart who loves nature but I love experiencing new things, I work in the film industry, love meeting diverse people, photography, cool clubs, good music, films etc. god this sounds like im writing a dating profile....ha

I get the impression whistler is a crazy party town. the bars seem like they might be trendier than banff, music is better and clubs too, and I do love a good party, but i'm a bit worried about the crowd, i'm not really into the mainstream jock scene (no offence) and want to know if thats what whistler attracts? Also its a modern resort based town so is probably pretty ugly?-i really dont know this, just a guess.

My friend is in Banff and could hopefully sort me out a job which is a massive bonus, though she is a bit more of a small town girl than me. It seems like it would be pretty cool there but I'm worried I will run out of things to do and get bored eventually. does it have enough to offer in comparison? quieter slopes would be a bonus, the fact that its in a national park sounds good and gets a bit of sunshine but I'm just a bit worried it wont be exciting enough. I love a good dance, meeting new people and house parties etc, though I do like to chill sometimes too.... It seems like it will be a bit cheaper than whistler as well. My buddy says they mainly listen to country....which worries me slightly, I'm a massive music fiend into decent electro, old school hip hop (and no i'm not just talking about RunDMC or any of the likes of Tupac), folk, disco, funk and soul amongst others, I wonder whether I'll miss a varied and busy night scene in banff.

Help????

Hot guys, but cool people are essential, non of the bitchy clique groups as they are boring enough in london. Is whistler way more touristy or worth it? Is banff cool but still has enough to entertain for a whole season?

hopefully a load of you people on here are similar to me and can offer me some advice. I don't like to go where the main crowds go for that reason, I've done a fair bit of travelling already, and shallow people bore the hell out of me.....I want fun and a lot of snowboarding basically, without annoying people, recommendations please!

cheers in advance!

Pheebs x
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pheebs787, marry me please.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pheebs787 wrote:
I want fun and a lot of snowboarding basically, without annoying people, recommendations please!

Do you consider drunk Aussies annoying or cool? Depending on your answer you may wish to avoid both Whistler & Banff.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gainz, maybe i will marry you, haha, are you nice? x
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pheebs, if was in your situation..Whistler hands down.

Own view, Banff is primarily a summer tourist destination that has nearby mountains that do offer good skiing and boarding - but by and large bus or car required - would prob be awkward to work with job routine unless whole day off. Population is capped as its inside the park boundary which means town can be quiet. But some great scenery and Calgary 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive.

Whistler, resort town where party if you want, but lots available apart from this as always seems to be something going on. There is a sizeable permanent number of residents who have their own routines separate to the tourists. Often stay with mates who moved out there and only time meet tourists as such in on lifts during day. Great boarding and skiing and easy to nip up the mountain for a few hours after/before work. Vancouver an hour down the road for exploring.

Sunshine Village has some of the nicest snow I've ever skied, whereas Whistler can be wet lower down - but IMO Whistler wins everytime!

SD
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pheebs787 wrote:
Gainz, maybe i will marry you, haha, are you nice? x

yes Very Happy I'll send you my 'resume' wink

seriously though we do have a lot in common. I worked in the film industry for 2 years in London then went to LA for 2 years. I did look into Banff and Whistler for a season before I left LA and decided that there was just more options in Whistler, also the idea of having to travel to the slopes was another nail in Banff's coffin. Banff does have gorgeous scenery from what I hear. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to either due to visa problems.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
unless you are rich or very lucky you will probably have to get a bus from your season accommodation in Whistler to the slopes
that said, whistler sounds more your scene so long as you don't mind the aussies telling you how awesome whislah is all the time
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i've never been to banff but whistler has a lot of jobs, with accomodation options as well for intrawest employees (liftees, cafes etc) and has lots going in that isn't always mainstream. you will love it - it is amazing. the riding is beyond words, it wouldn't matter what the rest of it was like. the buses run well, so don't worry about having to catch those. i can only really recall 1 or 2 nightclubs (not cheap) - to be honest we spent more time at other people's flats

but it might be nice to have a friend in banff so you can go out together. you could maybe start your own music scene.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good old fatbob, I bet an Aussie stole his girlfriend Very Happy

Arno, WB provides 5 'dorm' style buildings to their seasonal staff - those places are ski in/ski out on Blackcomb Mountain. Those places are reserved for 1st season employees.

pheebs, You will have a good season in either place. I live in Whistler, am an Aussie, and highly recommend coming here, but Banff offers some cool stuff - like being really cold all season and having to commute 30-40 mins each way to ski. I have visited, and had fun, enjoyed the resorts etc, but you wont find me moving there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey Pheebs,

I'm currently living in Banff and I can honestly say I'm having the time of my life. There are plenty of options for snowboarding, you have Sunshine Village, Norquay and Lake Louise all within 45 minutes drive, further afield you have Fernie, Kicking Horse and Revelstoke (2 - 4 hours drive away). However it can be expensive for lift passes / getting to the resorts. I would recommend working for a ski hill if possible, I currently work as a lifty at Sunshine and we get free/discounted passes to 18 different resorts and free buses to and from Sunshine. The bus to Sunshine takes around 20 minutes, then you need to take a 20 minute Gondola ride up to the top. I'm not sure what Whistler is like but it's not that practical here to get in a quick powder session before work etc because of the commute. On the plus side Sunshine tends to be pretty quiet in the week, 1000 - 2000 people a day, but gets 4000 - 5000 people on weekends (We get all the scummy Calgarians).

Banff does get extremely cold, we've had it down to -37 without wind chill a couple of times, but Sunshine opens until the end of May so you can enjoy lots of spring riding. Banff National Park is an awesome place, if you like wildlife this is definitely the place to be (We had 10 deers in our garden last week). In the town of Banff there are 3 nightclubs which all play pretty good music. They are just getting into their Dubstep out here which is a bonus, you also don't really get the 'jocks' out here unless people from Calgary are visiting on the weekends. You're looking around $3-4 for a typical hi-ball/beer in any of the bars, not too sure how that compares to Whistler, Sundays and Wednesdays are big nights out here and most of the clubs are pretty full, there are also heaps of house parties for you to get your pre-drink on. If you are thinking of coming to Banff try sort your accommodation out asap, it's a national park so there aren't too many places available. Anyway hope this helps, sure you will enjoy it wherever you go!

Luke
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy