Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inside Leg Extension

Poster: A snowHead
This week in Sölden I've been working upon a few things with my skiing, one of which is the Inside Leg Extension (ISE) that FastMan wrote about in another thread

It's a really great technique, especially on a well groomed (and harder) piste. You really can get a fantastic feeling and super firm foundation for the turn. At the top on the flex and extension movement I have been taking a moment just to stand tall and then pressurise the inside leg rather than just fall onto the new edge. Tomorrow I am going to work on keeping lower and pushing the inside ski away from my body

But I have a question for FastMan et al

On a couple of occasions, perhaps due to a higher speed or being more aggressive with the applying of pressure (perhaps longer?), at the point of the transition, I got this feeling of everything going light. It could have even 'popped' me off the snow. It was a really weird feeling and at first a little un-nerving. I'm not sure if it is the ISE technique doing this, or maybe even the Booster Straps on my boots

Am I doing something wrong, or is this precisely the sensation I should be looking for wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sleipnir, you remember getting high sided wink you could be too fore by waist breaking or hanging onto your boots and getting tossed by the shovel loading up

or you could be popping up and unweighting the skis instead of rolling into the turn and getting your COM to the inside

or you arent cleanly getting onto the edges

or something else....

what do your tracks in the snow tell you on the the well groomed snow ???
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
Sleipnir, you remember getting high sided wink

Do I skimottaret!!!!! It certainly gave my helmet a good work out and there was a Tom & Jerry moment of seeing stars and little birdies circling my head

Nothing quite as bad today, although there was a 'moment' - trying to make a GS turn whilst thrown back on your heels.....not recommended!!! Shocked

Whatever I am doing I am not doing it all of the time, as I only felt this sensation once or twice. Now I know that is not what I should be feeling, I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Didn't think of looking back at the tracks on the piste skimottaret - will give that a whirl tomorrow on the glacier
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Now I know that is not what I should be feeling

i didnt say that.... you will be light at the transition but this should be brief and you want a swift edge change, you should be finding the new big toe edge quickly and then standing on that edge via the ILE move if that is what your working on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sleipnir wrote:
On a couple of occasions, perhaps due to a higher speed or being more aggressive with the applying of pressure (perhaps longer?), at the point of the transition, I got this feeling of everything going light. It could have even 'popped' me off the snow.

Possibly getting a bit back before starting the ILE movement? If you're finishing off the previous turn with a bit of extra "juicing" - forcing the feet a bit forward or tightening the turn with a bit of rotary - particularly as you say it happens when you're being a bit more aggressive than usual, you may be pushing your baody a bit behind the ski. If so the extension will force your body even further back and you get that lightening or even pop. Make sure you start the transiiton with a forward movement of the body - maybe focussed with the start of a pole plant/touch - and then the ILE will push your body into the new turn rather than up and back.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

Now I know that is not what I should be feeling

i didnt say that.... you will be light at the transition but this should be brief and you want a swift edge change, you should be finding the new big toe edge quickly and then standing on that edge via the ILE move if that is what your working on.

It was I must say only a brief feeling of 'lightness' and nothing like being thrown up in the air like my highside. I seem to be able to find the big toe edge pretty quick, so perhaps all in all not so bad. Will need to spend more time on it....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sleipnir, I'd guess it's what GrahamN said.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
I'm sure he does Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
I'm sure he does Laughing

That's what I like about the Inside Out guys. Ever sympathetic to their clients - I provided the entertainment for the afternoon (and the dodgy shots in the bar in the evening) and all I get is a reminder of my slight 'mishap'!! wink I received the same level of sympathy from my ex-racer friend, Kathrin, when she said "well, now you know how NOT to do it!!" Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sleipnir, at least your 'mishap' wasn't recorded on video and then posted on YouTube, their website, snowHeads, facebook, etc etc for all to see. And Rob's raucous laughter on said video illustrates the 'ever sympathetic' bit to a tee. rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
Sleipnir, at least your 'mishap' wasn't recorded on video and then posted on YouTube, their website, snowHeads, facebook, etc etc for all to see. And Rob's raucous laughter on said video illustrates the 'ever sympathetic' bit to a tee. rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing

Yes, I should be thankful for small mercies. And as for "racous laughter", I'd complain to the InsideOut Skiing management....hold on, they are the management!!!! wink rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sleipnir wrote:
my slight 'mishap'!! wink
Slight? I thought you were going to die.

I like to think when I'm laughing I'm doing so with my clients. I wouldn't dream of laughing at them (with the video camera running).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 1-03-11 22:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sleipnir wrote:
(and the dodgy shots in the bar in the evening)
I remember some of those - the only time I've ended up with cream on the end of my nose when out drinking of an evening!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,
Quote:

I wouldn't dream of laughing at them (with the video camera running).

NehNeh Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:
my slight 'mishap'!! wink
Slight? I thought you were going to die.

If the truth be known, I was a little 'concerned' myself as I flew through the air doing my best superman impression. wink And the relief on your face when I sat up dazed and slightly worse for wear, and you said "I thought we were going to have to call the Blood Wagon" will stick in my memory for a long time

Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger....or should that be wiser!!! wink
snow report
Sleipnir - glad it is working well for you!

Sleipnir wrote:
At the top on the flex and extension movement I have been taking a moment just to stand tall and then pressurise the inside leg rather than just fall onto the new edge. Tomorrow I am going to work on keeping lower and pushing the inside ski away from my body

I'm not 100% certain of what you are saying you are doing .... but...

For the red part:
when I do an ILE transition I really don't stand tall at initiation... when I was first being taught it my instructor suggested that I simply apply a small amount of pressure to the outside edge of the (old)inside ski (that leg is flexed as it is inside leg) without moving my hips/weight uphill and see what happened...

You need to remain balanced over the (old) outside ski to allow the imbalance to occur that will drive your centre of mass(COM) over the (old) outside ski...

For the blue part:
You will keep extending the (old) inside leg to maintain snow contact/pressure as your COM tips over the (old) outside leg... the (old) inside leg will continue to flex at whatever rate you feel will make the transition happen as you wish...
snow conditions
Sleipnir, glad to hear you were playing with ILE, and that it was working for you. It's a cool transtion, I was actually working on it with a few people today at Vail.

Without seeing you ski, I'm only guessing what's happening on those instances you refer to. I'm basing my guess on two things you said: "standing tall", and "everything going light".

You were probably extending too strongly and too fully before you reached edge angle neutral. By edge angle neutral, I'm talking about the point at which your skis have rolled off edge from the prior turn, and are flat on the snow, about to roll back on edge for the new turn. If you extend too strongly/aggressively before edge angle neutral, extension can become an up unweighting move. Combined with the energy of higher speeds, and/or higher edge angle turns, unweighting can easily happen.

ILE can be done with varying amounts of extension before edge angle neutral, from full extension, to so little extension as to not be identifiable. All it takes to make ILE work is the slightest amount of push down on the outisde edge of the old inside ski. Even doing that slight amount will create the state of imbalance which will send the body moving across the skis, down the hill, and into the new turn. When done in that slight amount, you go through edge angle neutral with the old inside leg still quite flexed, and extending fully happens after you roll back on edge and the new turn has begun. In doing that, you're extending laterally, rather than vertically. The advantage of this version of ILE is it lets you transition quicker, and you don't have to fight gravity as much to extend.

Full extension prior to edge angle neutral can be done also, and it's benefit is that it brings the skier into a fore state of balance for the initiation of the new turn, but to do it without experiencing unweighting the extension must be executed gently/slowly/subtly. It should feel like it's happening in slow motion, and you should feel as though the roll off then back on edge should feel as though it's happening in slow motion too.

Play around with trying all versions of ILE, from full extension prior to edge angle neutral, to virtually none, and all degrees of extension in between. Here's a clip of full extension (see the cross over clip). Notice how gently I extend. http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Cross_Over_Under_Through.html
snow report
Many thanks to everyone for their thoughts - it's great when you try something new to have the ability for such feedback wink

Having read your comments and having had time to think about things a little more, I have a pretty good feeling as to what I think is happening. It is a combination of a few things (as you all mention)

i) extending too much
ii) whilst extended, exerting too much pressure/force, too early on the inside ski - really having this leg straight and heavily pressured before in effect making the full transition onto the new edge
iii) being way too agressive and not progessive enough
iv) not being forward enough before starting the ILE, the result being it throws me back

I think all of the above (in one shape or another) is causing my problem......let's see. Another great day today in the Tirol, so perfect conditions for more practice Very Happy
snow report
Just a quick update

I tried a few things today on the slopes (as per my earlier post) and I am pleased to report that things went a lot better

I was on the glacier and at the same time had demoed some of the new HEAD iSupershape Magnums - what a great piece of kit they are! They certainly lived up to the reports that others had given. I tried the 1.70m ski and being only 5' 7" (1.70m) myself, the longer ski forced me into taking things a little bit slower and being more progressive with my movements. The result being that the ILE worked fine and it really is a good tool to have in the toolbox. I need to work some more on getting things perfect, but really felt the benefit of the ILE approach.....thanks folks! wink
latest report
Cool, Sleipnir, glad to hear it, and thanks for the update.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy