Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Line Prophets Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a few years of lurking on here it's finally time to take the plunge and plead for advice so please be gentle!

After a long trawl of reviews and recommendations, I'm looking to buy some Line Prophet 90s for next season. I'm 184cm, 80kgs with about 15 weeks skiing under my belt. I'm currently on 2008 Apache Crossfires which are 72 underfoot and 174 long, but looking for something wider as I look to ski more off piste stuff. At my height and weight I'm guessing I should be looking at the 186cm? The size down is 179cm and all the reviews say they ski quite short.

Also, the 100s seem to be more widely available in the UK - realistically as I'll be skiing for 2 weeks a year and won't constantly be off piste will 100 underfoot be too wide? In the c.90 bracket I'm quite tempted by the Volkl Kendos as well.

Any advice greatly received!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not great at pro skinny ski advice but I skied the 100's ancestor for a number of years everywhere.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've only skied the 90, and for me that works really well as an all mountain ski...though if anything it's not quite fat enough. From what I've read there isn't that much difference between the 90s and the 100s, so I'd go with whichever you can get hold of most easily.

I'm about 175cm and I ski the 179s - I've never found them too long for anything but agressive mogul skiing (which thankfully I don't do much of!). I'd have thought the 186s would be fine for you.

I'd advise you to try them out before buying, but I don't actually know that I've seen Line rentals before and tbh I didn't try mine before buying (needed a ski quick and I'd heard good things about them!).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
narbs, i am 180cm and 75kg and just bought the prophet 100 in 186cm. From what i have read, the 90 is stiffer than the 100.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
narbs, I use prophet 90 in 179, and I am 174cm and 70kg, they are an excellent all mountain ski. Bit stiff for powder at times, but brill everywhere else. A friend i ski with on odd occasions has 100's in 179 (?) as well and they are quite a bit softer and the binding centre mount is further back, however i ski my 90's 1cm back from boot centre mark.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, 186 it is. The 90 looks as if it would be the better allrounder particularly as I'm not likely to spend weeks waist deep unfortunately!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
177 cms, 82kg and I've just got a pair of Amplid Rockwell's in a 182 which are 96 underfoot. Perfect happy medium especially with the early rise!

The Prophet 90's sound ideal but 90 or 100 - after a days skiing you'll not care Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Made exactly the same move from crossfires to prophet 90's you will not regret it!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
narbs, hello and welcome to snowheads.

I am a lardy 175cm and 85kg (can be more) and have the Prophet 90s in 172cm (I also have some Prophet flites in 172 but have not yet mounted tele bindings).

I didn't try them - but if I had I may not have bought them- which would have been a mistake.

Previous skis saloman foils- which are much softer / more forgiving.

At first really struggled with the Prophets (for various reasons; bindings not mounted stariaght, binding toe height wrong, use first with new boots - in la Grave immediately after being told that someone from the hotel had fallen to their death the previous day) but I found them very unforgiving- out of balance= more out of balance. But that was only at first- ie for a couple of days.

Have used them a fair bit subsequently and been very pleased. Great all over the mountain. In powder I find that I much perfer bigger rather than smaller turns. They are however I think very heavy especially as I have Marker Dukes on them. Nice graphics too.

I will post on the flites with tele bindings as soon as they are up and running (got some Roteffela Cobra plates this morning so will be able to switch bindings easily I hope).

I think what I am trying to say is- great ski- fast, grippy, good all over the mountain. But- heavy and will take a day or so to get used to as- not forgiving so stay centered. Not ideal for bouncy SCGB turns in powder.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been skiing Prophet 100s, pretty much exclusively, for the last 3 seasons. I'm 6'1" and 86 kg and find the 186 ideal - they ski a bit shorter as a true twintip. I find them a great allrounder providing the snow is reasonably soft. Off piste they are great in powder/crud/windblown etc. Surprisingly nimble in trees and bumps too - tails are quite soft and forgiving when you're getting tired, yet they still have a decent amount of pop when you push them hard. For a big ski they turn pretty well too with a relatively short turn radius (19 m) and they're light for their class, which makes them a good off piste tree skiing weapon. Basically the only time I don't rate them is on steep hardpack/ice where they really struggle to hold an edge (probably where the 90 would be slightly better). From what you're saying I'd go for the 90 as a 50/50 on/off piste choice. They're a really fun ski to tool around on.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again for the advice and info, my 186 Prophet 90s have arrived and are now just waiting for the next trip. Only 11 months to go Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy