Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach or Hinterglemm for 2012?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have just returned from a very enjoyable week staying in Saalbach and are now considering our options for 2012.

We travel with a large group of other families with a rigt mixture of ages and skiing ablilities.

Having visited Zell and Zee for the last two years, we wanted a change this year and feel we made a good choice due to the vast area available to us for skiing.

We skied in and out of Hinterglemm on a number of occasions and i liked the general layout of the village and access to the different piste.

We chose Saalbach over Hinterglemm this year as we read reports of excellent apree ski and night life which we thought would appeal to the 18 - 24 year olds in the group. In reality, the busier apres ski bars in the village did not appeal to everyone and we ended up meeting up in Bobby's bar and St. Peter Hotel outside bar.

Therefore, when considering next years resport, I would ask if anyone has had experience of staying in both resorts and which one they preferred and for waht reasons.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jezzer96, hinterglemm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not go somewere new? In reality you'll probably end up skiing the same slopes a lot of the time, as much of the area i n between the two.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nightlife at Hinterglemm was pretty dire when I was there at Christmas 2008. The Goatstadl just above the village is OK for Apres (if you are coming down that slope) but everywhere in town was pretty mild (dead even). But the Alpine Palace Hotel was fantastic and I would quite happily spend all evening in their spa/bar/restaurant.

I agree with clarky999. Why not go somewhere new? St Anton and Mayrhofen have a great mix of bars to suit everyone and a mix of skiing too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We usually give a resort 2 years as we have a number of "Mums" skiing with us who like to get familiar with a ski area. Obviously, there are others in the party who would totally agree that you try new areas.

We went into the Goatstadl a couple of times whilst on the slopes and seemed was a nice place. Didn't experience Apres though at the place as we where back in Saalback for early eveing drinks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The kids with us rated the Apres and nightlife in Hinterglemm far higher than Saalbach where they went a couple of evenings.
Us oldsters who don't do nightclubs now realy enjoyed the Apres in the Goatstal and the London Bar which were both busy straight off the slopes.
We met some people on their 5th vsit who were real party animals and they rated Hinterglemm above Saalbach.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for the Goasstall - really rocking when we were there in Jan. Thought the London was a bit bland but there is a Dutch bar justaround the corner that was great. We never made it to Saalbach!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tiger2 wrote:
the Alpine Palace Hotel was fantastic and I would quite happily spend all evening in their spa/bar/restaurant

Yes, the Alpine Palace was fantastic. But I don't think anyone could compare the bar with the Goatstal Laughing .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi, whoops - I didn't mean to imply the AP bar was a nightlife venue, far from it. I meant that time seemed to slip away so no need to go looking for outside drinking holes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

but there is a Dutch bar justaround the corner that was great

Apres Schi Paleis (sp)? I prefer Saalbach overall, but it's definitely worth the odd trip over to Hinterglemm for the goatsstall, something like 10 euros for a big taxi.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Re the famed apres, you need to know what you're doing, otherwise you can end up wondering where it's at. Christmas is always quiet, carol services and midnight mass being the main evening attractions - some of the party venues don't start up until after Christmas. Don't go before Boxing Day if you want to sample the apres-ski.
People sometimes miss the best parties by skiing down too early, particularly those who are used to getting back for chalet-style "tea and cakes" or eager to get back well before their hotel dinner. We're always discovering new party places, but the favourites in Saalbach are the Bergeralm (happy Hour between 3.30 and 4.30pm) , followed by a ski down to the Hinterhagalm (4pm to about 7pm) (Jeden Tag, Hinterhag!"), followed by a ski down (in the dark) to Bauer's Schialm and/or the Spitzbub and/or Burgi's (3.30pm to 7.30pm... or later). The Panoramaalm also has an apres-ski bar with good atmosphere and fantastic views - helmet lamp recommended for the journey down if it's early/mid season.
Later on, Bobby's Pub, the Taverne, Castellos and the Kuhstall are favourites (depending on age and musical taste), but there are lots of others like Zum Turm, the Underbar and Otzi Bar.
In Hinterglemm, the Goassstall (4.00pm to 7.15pm) is incomparable and, for those staying in Saalbach, well worth the modest taxi fare back (about 4 euros per person). Taxis are always waiting, and the ride back takes only 5 - 10 minutes. Reasonable blue run skiers can ski to the Goassstall from Saalbach, and beginners can take the ski bus and meet them there. Tanzhimmel (London Pub) is also popular.
The toboggan/party evening up at the Spielberghaus above Saalbachcan be an absolute riot!
It's amazing how many people spend a week there without discovering these places!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the Underbar and Otzi Bar

Usually great banter in these two, the bar staff in both are ace.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, That's worth knowing - we tend to neglect those two. We'll be there on Sunday - order us some fresh snow!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy