Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Trip - a bit of advice appreciated, thanks!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

We're off for a long weekend in a couple of weeks (Thursday to Sunday), flying to Innsbruck and then taking the train up to Mayrhofen. I've looked into getting the bus across to the train station, but to fit in with our arrival time and the next train departure, I reckon a taxi will be the best bet. Does anyone have an idea what the cost and journey time is likely to be please?

Haven't been to Mayrhofen for 15 years (and that was in the Summer), so any additional snippets of information will be gratefully received (eg. best/closest place for ski hire; is it a pain in the a**e to walk to the Penkenbahn/Ahornbahn from where we're based; current snow conditions; best mountain lunch stop etc. etc.)

Ta muchly!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well a taxi from Innsbruck city center to the Airport is a tenner so it'll be most likely the same.

Where are you staying??....the queue at the Penken is legendary, just before 9 is ok otherwise you'll be queuing for 20 to 30 mins...I've found it best to clump up to the Ahorn, get the gondola up and then the chair to the top, ski all the way down and then head for the Penken cos come 10:30 11:00 theres no queue.

As for lunch....my favourite is the restaurant at the foot of the Harrakarri and Vans Park....not mad expensive either.

There's a decent ski shop directly across from the Crystal depot beside the Penkenbahn....but you'll probably find a better deal down further down in the village.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dazman wrote:
Well a taxi from Innsbruck city center to the Airport is a tenner so it'll be most likely the same.

Where are you staying??....the queue at the Penken is legendary, just before 9 is ok otherwise you'll be queuing for 20 to 30 mins...I've found it best to clump up to the Ahorn, get the gondola up and then the chair to the top, ski all the way down and then head for the Penken cos come 10:30 11:00 theres no queue.

As for lunch....my favourite is the restaurant at the foot of the Harrakarri and Vans Park....not mad expensive either.

There's a decent ski shop directly across from the Crystal depot beside the Penkenbahn....but you'll probably find a better deal down further down in the village.

any other good in resort advice? i'm off in a couple of weeks too, gonna be staying at the strass(sporthotel?!?).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Strass is very close to the Penkenbahn lift. Almost close enough to watch the queue from! (And I don't think it is that bad as long as you avoid the obvious busy times.)

Great place for a fun holiday, I would say.

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dazman, sorry! Forgot to say where we're staying: Hotel Cafe Traudl in Dornaustrasse. Thanks for the tips.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ohhhhhhh Blunty... I hope you don't mind hi-jacking the thread a little! anyone know about Gasthaus Pramstraller?? - Good thinngs only please wink the OH is curious what i've signed her up for.... Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevos999, funnily enough that's where we stayed 15 years ago for our honeymoon! We had a great time. Room was lovely, but portions were a bit small for my liking at mealtimes...also you couldn't sit where you wanted in the restaurant, you sat on the table with your room number on it and god help you if you tried to sit somewhere else! I'm sure the practices have changed since then though.

Let us know how you get on Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

you sat on the table with your room number on it and god help you if you tried to sit somewhere else! I'm sure the practices have changed since then though.

I haven't stayed in the Pramstaller but have stayed in other hotels in Mayrhofen and I've always had the same table every night and had the same situation in Zell Am See, Ischgl and Kitzbuhel.

Blunty, You haven't said where you are staying so its impossible to say how much of a pain the walk will be. However, the bus service is excellent and free.
As for ski hire there are numerous places. A handy place is Ski Zone at the base of the Penken gondola, owned by former World Cup downhiller, Uli Speiss. Another good place is Luggi's. Really nice guy and very good English. See link.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1129173&highlight=mayrhofen#1129173

MattMattMatt, The Strass is very convenient, just below the gondola, and is a quality hotel. Its got a night club in the basement if that's your thing and a bar with live music, an English guy Brian Cristopher has a residency and is a great entertainer.

Although the main ski area is Penken try to spend a morning on the Ahorn. Its not a big area but the Abhornabfahrt which takes you to the village is one of the best runs I've ever experienced. The record for the descent is about 4mins 5 seconds by the aforementioned downhiller. I'm still trying to get within ten minutes of that time. Pretty challenging and great views of the Zillertal valley.

Mayrhofen also, of course, has the Harikiri, Austria's steepest piste if you fancy it.

If the snow isn't good go up to the Hintertux glacier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Corky,
Quote:

sorry! Forgot to say where we're staying: Hotel Cafe Traudl in Dornaustrasse
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Remember your ski pass covers you not just for the Hintertux Glacier, but also includes the rest of the Zillertal so Fugen, Hochfugen, Kaltenbach and Zell am Ziller (Zillertal Arena) are all worth considering for a day trip. Train travel to these other areas is included with your pass. Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevos999, I've stayed at the Gasthaus Pramstraller quite recently. It is a brill location for the train station and is probably less than 5 mins walk away. Further to the Penkenbahn but there is a bus stop about 20m away that goes there. Would definitely recommend using the train to visit Hoch Fugen and Kaltenbach, Zell am Ziller etc and personally I thought they were better ski areas than Mayrhofen.
The owner of the Pramstraller is a bit miserable though and the reception is infrequently manned. Not a problem unless you need something or help. Not a lot of English is spoken so brush up on your German. The breakfast is simple but adequate and is all you can eat. The best thing about this Pension is the location to the train station and its quiet position by the church, as well as the fact it's immaculately clean and well presented. I think most places in Mayrhofen and surrounding area are clean and nice though.

Definitely take the bus to Hintertux for the day and use the train to visit the other nearby resorts. Overall though for the amount of time you spend in the hotel its perfectly fine.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Forgot to say I thought the Pramstraller was the cleanest hotel/pension I'd ever stayed in. Ensuite bathroom was exceptional.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MattMattMatt, The Strass Hotel is where the legendary Ice Bar is....here's a tip, when you arrive back to your hotel you'll see the crowd at the door of the Ice Bar and you'll think "Ah Jaysus I'm never gonna get in here"....go into the reception of the hotel and turn right after the wonkavator (you'll see it!) and walk down through the day time restaurant dining room, you'll see a set of toilets, a rack to hang your coats up on and a sliding door.....hang yer coat up, walk through the door and your in the Ice Bar right up the top of the bar....order a Grolsch, enjoy.

Blunty, If you're quick you can pull the same stroke!!

Don't forget Bruck & Stadl up the town for more Austro/Germanic post-ski mentalness....

And with regards to the aforementioned Uli Speiss, he's gotta restaurant on the Ahorn where the food is cheap and delish and even better he has all his World Cup & Olympic medals and memorabillia on show....even his Mothers Olympic Medal....don't miss it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Awesome feedback guys, will check the places out. do and of the bars play rock music? Think i'm gonna try and scope out a job for next season while i'm there too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MattMattMatt, Oh then you'll be heading to Mo's Cafe...in middle of the town.

Rocktastic....and a dude who plays a wooden chair (honest)

Nice grub too.....why not bring an axe, they've let holiday makers up.
snow report
MattMattMatt, Mo's Bar is definitely worth a shot. Nice atmosphere and really good value tasty food, one of the best in town.
snow conditions
Fingers crossed they consider giving me a job, considering i'm currently sporting quite an epic beard and a mohawk i'm not gonna be holding my breath though!

sounds crackin' for a hangout regardless.
snow conditions
Is the Sport Hotel Strasse close to the main station? I am getting a train from Champery in Switzerland across on Saturday to mee t big group staying there. I am hoping its close as luggage two sets of skis and boots etc etc!! Also any advice on nice easy cruisy blues and reds for the group of slightly older skiers who like nice lunches and ski home! My first time in the area and will be making the decisions on where to ski!!! Any advice is worth a beer for you in resort!!! Smile
ski holidays
MattMattMatt, If they don't give you a gig, you could always try for the lead in "Taxi Driver : The Musical"

summer, Hmmmm it's close but it's still a fair aul walk up the town, the ski bus stop outside it too, if you see a bus saying Penkenbahnhof, that's your stop, personally I'd go for a taxi...it'll help you get your bearings....as for cruisy blues and reds and skiing home, that's not really possible cos you can't ski down the Penken back to Mayrhofen unless you take the ridiculous ski-route down to Horberg and get the bus back up (DON'T)...head up to the Ahorn instead, that has top to bottom skiiing and some lovely eateries on the way and the legendary White Lounge....and the best Weisbier in the Zillertal.
ski holidays
Hi dazman that's great advice, thanks for that!
Will go for the taxi I think!!! Then it's lots easier too....! Will look at maps tonight and then go with your ski advice too! I work as a ski instructor here in Swiss land and this group go somewhere different every year! Old clients and I get asked along to make the decisions for them!!!! causes less rows apparently - bit of a stress for me though Smile thanks again, if you see me looking lost ?.... dark raspberry scott jacket and teles on say hello!!! Petra
latest report
I have been told I look like a cross of travis bickle and brian blessed.

I don't think it was meant as a compliment.....
snow report
summer, Give the hotel a ring or email and they'll pick you up for free (I'm staying there April and emailed them asking this ) <edit> just re-read your post - not sure if you're staying there or not - if you are they'll pick you up - not sure if they'll do it if you're just having a beer Smile
snow conditions
summer,
Because the only 'nice' skiing back to town is on the Ahorn, for a cruisy blues and red itinerary, go up penken and over to eggalm then catch the bus back from vorderlanersbach. Don't worry that some buses(coaches) pass you by these are the express ones to and from the glacier.
Catch the trains or get a couple of taxis along the valley. Taxis don't work out too bad when you are sharing them and you can get about 7 in each one.
All the bus and train timetables are linked on the Mayrhofen website.
For a lovely fun day go to Ramsau/Gerlosstein for the toboggan run and great little places to stop for food. It's also a small ski area with hardly anyone there and has trees to play in if the clouds are down low.
I'm also a fan of the Uli Speiss Ski Zone shop at the foot of the Penken, warm boots after the comfort of walking up the village in ordinary boots. The only problem is if you want to start going down the valley by train you have to jump back on a bus to the station.
On a clear day catch the bus to the glacier and eat at the Spannagelhaus.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy