Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost my nerve - how do I get it back?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, yes absolutely. Of course when they experience fear and how much depends on the individual more than anything, and some people will experience fear more than others and it may or not be appropriate bearing in mind their technical ability to handle the situation they find fearful. It's a natural human survival instinct, and doesn't suddenly disappear when you reach a certain level.

Learning how to cope with the psychological aspects of skiing is a major part of learning, and you don't need to feel that lessons are all about the technical. The OP said that he knows he / she has the technical ability to cope with slopes so perhaps he / she could focus on tactical - eg in flat light learning how to choose the pistes and lines that will be easiest to ski. For me a big help in overcoming a fear f speed was getting a really good service on my skis (by an ex-WC racer). My technique didn't change, it was just pyschologically i felt i could rely more on my equipment, so was more able to let myself go.

As said above take lessons with a really good instructor who will help explore all these aspects.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum wrote:
beanie1, So do you believe that expert skiers (say instructor + levels) still find situations that they find fearful?

You will have to check with Fastman but I believe it is pretty normal to freak a bit when you are put on a Downhill course... a good WC DH will freak most folks out enough to have them trying to slow down...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What about your eyesight? Could it be that your eyes are struggling and therefore your brain is struggling to translate what it's seeing back into action. Peoples driving often suffers with eyesight deterioration and they become less confident. That lack of confidence then spirals your brain into thinking you cannot do it. Just a thought anyway
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1, that is a good point. I think I also respond to faith in my equipment. The better the skis I have skied the more faith I have in them being able to hold an edge on a sheer surface, or get me through a slushy mogulled up slope. I know in the first case it's perfectly possible to have good skis and a poor service and vice versa, but I guess I have faith in my ski tech wink I recall actual thoughts along the lines of well the ski's are just what is needed here. Sometimes when I am looking to boost a lack of confidence in my own technique the skis I am on play a big part.

It's not only skis either. There is a stretch of the A12 as you approach Ipswich from London with some sweeping bends in it - they are doable at 70mph, but the bend are very noticeable and I often look upon them as requiring the 'courage of your conviction' to take them at 70mph and hold the lane position round them. In my old car it was a bit of a nerve jangler - I used to hang on in there are take them at 70 in ideal weather conditions and a dry road, but in the dark, mist, rain etc. I would very much ease back as I drove them. No real reason why - technically the old car should have been OK around them. However, since I've had the new car there is a completely different mind-set - I take them at 70 far more readily and at the back of my mind is bigger tyres, ABS, ATC, drives dual carriage ways like its glued to them etc. It is def. a lot about faith in my equipment for me at least.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy